V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Night Train twin cam that ran ~280 degrees per the HD digital dipstick...it was HOT...had a thunderheader on it.

i would slide on up on the back seat at stop lites - all dealers said "it's ok!"
like riding a deep fat fryer. it ran hotter on the interstate than in town, must have been lean on top end.

been reading on here about heat considerations. have the stock pipes on my new 06 Road king.

do the TH's have less heat under the seat, in other words, should i factor in 'less heat' as part of my decision to go to a TH or other 2-1?

saw an article in American Iron that the Crane Elec Ignition could adjust timing to control heat. not sure if it meant 20 degrees or 2 degrees cooler.

is that a viable investment (~$400?), and how much will it lower the temps?

just paid big bucks for some HD touring pipes, Race Fueler, and SE filter/baseplate kit.

just want to minimize swapping pipes, or justify jumping to a TH?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,329 Posts
04ctd said:
I had a Night Train twin cam that ran ~280 degrees per the HD digital dipstick...it was HOT...had a thunderheader on it.

i would slide on up on the back seat at stop lites - all dealers said "it's ok!"
like riding a deep fat fryer. it ran hotter on the interstate than in town, must have been lean on top end.

been reading on here about heat considerations. have the stock pipes on my new 06 Road king.

do the TH's have less heat under the seat, in other words, should i factor in 'less heat' as part of my decision to go to a TH or other 2-1?

saw an article in American Iron that the Crane Elec Ignition could adjust timing to control heat. not sure if it meant 20 degrees or 2 degrees cooler.

is that a viable investment (~$400?), and how much will it lower the temps?

just paid big bucks for some HD touring pipes, Race Fueler, and SE filter/baseplate kit.

just want to minimize swapping pipes, or justify jumping to a TH?
I guess you have an oil cooler
 

·
XLIII
Joined
·
10,078 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I guess you have an oil cooler
Not to be contrary (I'd never do that), but the last time I checked air needed to be moving over an oil cooler's fins to dissipate heat. Also, not saying I'm right, but the last time I was sitting at a stoplight, no air was moving over anything. Unless it was windy. Then, yeah...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,329 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Not to be contrary (I'd never do that), but the last time I checked air needed to be moving over an oil cooler's fins to dissipate heat. Also, not saying I'm right, but the last time I was sitting at a stoplight, no air was moving over anything. Unless it was windy. Then, yeah...

I thought about it after I posted as it seemed maybe, DUNB. But hey an oil cooler may cool the head down 20 degrees or more. I don't know. I think the reality is that there is a f#cking hot pipe under the seat and heat isn't going away until the pipe does, at least not in an appreciable way, stopped or moving
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Not to be contrary (I'd never do that), but the last time I checked air needed to be moving over an oil cooler's fins to dissipate heat. Also, not saying I'm right, but the last time I was sitting at a stoplight, no air was moving over anything. Unless it was windy. Then, yeah...
A side thought... if going into the stop at a lower temperature due to the oil cooler, wouldn't it take longer to overheat?
 

·
your ad could be here
Joined
·
380 Posts
Yes, most 2:1 systems.....

.....yield less heat to the passenger. When you see one, observe how the rear cylinder exhaust is swept away from the seat (lower, toward the front) whereas a stock crossover routes the gases to either side of the seat. I found a substantial improvement - immediately after replacnig the stock crossover system with a 2:1. A tune job helped some additionally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,384 Posts
I have a 2:1 supertrapp on on my FLHT and not only did i notice a difference in leg heat my engine oil temp dropped as well per my oil temp gauge.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
drdevon said:
.....yield less heat to the passenger. When you see one, observe how the rear cylinder exhaust is swept away from the seat (lower, toward the front)
i think you are right. most 2-1's bring the rear pipe forward to make it as long as possible.

nope, no oil cooler yet. one school of thought is that the QUANTITY of oil added by the cooler, plumbing and fittings allows more surface area, and MORE oil is harder to get hot. so an Oil Cooler, even sitting still, does something. that's a bucket for money for that amount of Bull Shizzle, though.

bountyhunter - come to daytona, sit on the bridge on main street for 45 minutes. the Night Train finally got so hot it quit. had to push it to side, sit for an hour, then cranked back up. pretty embarassing when all the water cooled Honda 750's just kept purring.
synthetics only took off ~5 degrees.

we used the digital dipstick in a Fuel Inj bike - 20 degrees cooler - felt like 70 - much more bearable

i traded it for a V-rod shortly after.

but i think will pursue Mod's to this RK with an eye towards eliminating heat & passenger comfort. i want to ride it to work in stop & go traffic in Charleston, and its HOT and HUMID down here. mama works with me, so i can use DrDevons post to trick her....she liked that thunderheader sound anyways..
 

·
Incredible
Joined
·
3,029 Posts
An oil cooler is the way to go. I have seen friends bikes that you can tell even after they stop how much cooler their engine is just by radiant heat versus one without one. While my bike is down for some performance goodies I am adding one. I think they are worth the expense even on a stock bike. They especially look good on a touring type frame where the voltage regulator is kicked back. It mounts under that and is almost hidden. On my softail I had to go with the Jagg Low Mount because I didn't want anything between the down tubes. The low mount looks good, but not as nicely tucked away as on a touring model.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top