V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at two bike to purchase but unsure which would be the best deal.
One is a 2002 Electra glide classic, it has a big bore kit new cams, timing gears changed over to gears, heads milled ported & polished w/ triple angle valve job all new bearings and seals in trans. Approximately 1500 miles since build updated led lights, new brakes, owner stated over 10k done to engine, he is asking $7500.
The 2nd is a 2006 ultra classic peace officer special edition all original, one owner with only 17k miles. for $8500

Any help would be grateful.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Well if it was me I would go with the cop bike. There is a reason a person would sell a bike with a ton of motor work for less money than the rebuild cost. Cop bikes are well maintained, but on the other hand the bike spends a lot of time idling in traffic. Actually both bikes are too expensive for the year models. You want at least an 09 because of the frame design change. This is the wrong time of year to buy a scooter anyway. You should have looked for one in February before Daytona as riders like a new sled to ride at that event. Another good time is August and September when riders are going to trade in at a dealership for the new model. You can buy it for the dealer price if you know him for cash. The stealer gives a low number for trade then marks it up 5 k. Remember when the wingers were buying yellow gold wings? A buddy traded his for 2 k the next day it was in the showroom for 13 k. However you can send me 8500 I'll get you a '1O, make myself a tidy commission down here near Myrtle Beach. By the way welcome to Vtwin.

Sent from a cheapskate

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I would say the 2002 if the owner has all the receipts for the work and parts. Otherwise, no, on that one.
Then I would go for the ultra.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
I agree with autoworker, neither.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The police officer special is not a police bike, just sold only to cops when new. It should be fine with that few miles, however it is overpriced. I would not touch a highly modified scooter unless I knew the one that did the work and had much confidence in him. Lonslo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if it was me I would go with the cop bike. There is a reason a person would sell a bike with a ton of motor work for less money than the rebuild cost. Cop bikes are well maintained, but on the other hand the bike spends a lot of time idling in traffic. Actually both bikes are too expensive for the year models. You want at least an 09 because of the frame design change. This is the wrong time of year to buy a scooter anyway. You should have looked for one in February before Daytona as riders like a new sled to ride at that event. Another good time is August and September when riders are going to trade in at a dealership for the new model. You can buy it for the dealer price if you know him for cash. The stealer gives a low number for trade then marks it up 5 k. Remember when the wingers were buying yellow gold wings? A buddy traded his for 2 k the next day it was in the showroom for 13 k. However you can send me 8500 I'll get you a '1O, make myself a tidy commission down here near Myrtle Beach. By the way welcome to Vtwin.

Sent from a cheapskate
The 2nd one is not a cop bike it is a special edition

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback. As for pricing the only thing I found was nada which shows the 2nd one in the 9k area. Does anyone have a better place to check on the normal price for different years?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had looked at NADA and it shows the price on 2006 to be in the 9k area.
Is there a better source to look for prices. Been many yrs since I last bought one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What state do you live in? If it is up there then you pay more adjusting for cost of living.

Sent from poorazz NC
You should look at the classifieds in Fayetteville NC where Ft Bragg is located they cheap here. Buy it with an enlistment bonus sell when they shipping out. I lived in Cleveland for 3 years had 2 seasons summer and winter.lol
Capthook4555, most of the ones in that years are selling for 8500 up with alot more miles in my area of OH, MI WV, IN and KY. I have been watching since the fall and prices have not dropped.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I have a buddy in Illinois has this 10 with 17,500 miles for $10,500

He is in Galatia if you want to see about it I will pm his name and number. This lives in a dry heated garage and he is meticulous about service. Probably get it for 10k. He just listed it today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

He is in Galatia if you want to see about it I will pm his name and number. This lives in a dry heated garage and he is meticulous about service. Probably get it for 10k. He just listed it today.
Nice. Ya southern IL. Now that area. Grew up in that state.
I'll have to think on it.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Wished he lived closer! Kind of looking for one like that. Wife is not a fan of the Road King.?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts