V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 fatboy (carb), and want new exhaust. (of course!)
I've narrowed it down to v&h big shot staggered or
hard krome classic straights.
Any thoughts on sound and power differences would help.
I want it loud, and deep while retaining low and mid trq and hp.
thnx for any help.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I had the V&H big shot duals on my 05 FB. Sound was deep and pretty loud. Got tons of compliments from other riders. Sounded awesome on the road and opened up. Can't comment on the other though. I did not notice any negative change in low or mid torque. Also did the SE stage 1 kit. Good luck.

·
Registered
266 Posts
One of the mistakes I made was that I bought my pipes when my bike was new. Later, I increased the engine size and put on a DTT WEGO II. As it turned out, I got lucky since I bought true duals which are recommended for the DTT WEGO II system as opposed to 2 into 1. I nearly wasted some money. Hard to beat the cycle shacks for flexibility and cost if increasing the cubic inches is in the bikes future. I wish I had done www.burnsstainless.com though.

Seabrook

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Chuck!
Can you expound on your opinion of both sets of pipes sucking for low end?
My bike is bone stock. I would expect some gains over the restrictive stock exhuast.
I'm not thrilled with the look of the thunderheader, or most 2:1 pipes for that matter, but I want performance too. That's one of the reasons for looking at the big shot staggs.
I welcome anyone else to leave comments, too.
thx everyone

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Not Chuck, but - good 2:2s using HD header pipes with a crossover seem to be pretty consistent performers. They and 2:1s allow the cylinders to scavenge one another. 2:1s tend to do this well and the better/more common 2:1s consistently produce good results. I noticed a significant difference switching from SEIIs.

·
TL
500 Posts
I had 2:1 on my Softtail before switching to V&H BSS. I couldn't take the sound of the 2:1. The BSS are loud, low and I didn't detect any noticeable power loss.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Pipe choice

FXDRYDR said:
Not Chuck, but - good 2:2s using HD header pipes with a crossover seem to be pretty consistent performers. They and 2:1s allow the cylinders to scavenge one another. 2:1s tend to do this well and the better/more common 2:1s consistently produce good results. I noticed a significant difference switching from SEIIs.
QUOTE]

Cons:
The Big Shots like most 2-2 pipes don't produce at the low end and most have a long torque dip. My personal opinion is the crossover pipe does nothing. I had the BSS on my Deuce and the dyno shows the torque not heading north until after 3500 rpm. This could have to do with the combination in my build, but it did produce 101.8 hp and 100.4 Tq with low lift cams.

Pros:
I took the BSS off and we put them on my Bros "03 Fat Boy. It dyno'd 6 more hp and torque from the SE slip ons. They look great, they sound great, probably the best sounding loud pipe out there. Add Big City Thunder Monsters and get even better sound. The dyno with Thunder Monsters will be unchanged from standard baffles.

For a basic stock Fat Boy you will love the Big Shot Staggered. You will need an SE or Big Sucker air cleaner and have it tuned after changing the pipe to get the performance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone!
I found Chas to have some interesting information.
Sounds like the BSS pipes will be a good choice, unless I decide to build up the engine. (not likely for a few years!)

ride safe

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
The BSS have consistently been shown to lose low end power. They do not provide enough back pressure. Might as well use open drag pipes. Good for HP at WOT but low end sucks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
03 FatBoy at 1000 miles I did Stage 1 w SEII slip ons
noticed tremendous response change over stock
kept telling myself that I wanted to keep the overunder shotguns for the look,but the sound was weak
switched to Vance and Hines BSS did not notice any loss of low end, but did notice better mid- high (highway)
checked w 3 dealers before install
one told me I HAD to have PCIII or they wouldn't do pipes
Another told me I HAD to reflash
Stuck w my dealer(Bourbeuse Valley HD) which told me I would likely have to do nothing and to worry about the SERT or PCIII if I decided to do a build
so far they have not steered me wrong(on that or any other work I've had done)
plus now I can clean my rear wheel

·
Registered
645 Posts
I dont know anything about power loss or gain but i can tell you that the V&H BSS sound is bitchin!!! lol My bud has them on his 00 FatBoy with only 1/3 wrap of glass. I have yet to hear anything as good as his. But of course.. opinions are like @ss*****, everyones got one. Good Luck with your choice!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
what ???

I have a 2000 fatboy and have vance and Hines Big Radius and have no Baffles but i have Tourqe cones (white bros) I think it realy sounds great

·
Iron Butt
559 Posts
I have the BSS with the stage 1 on my '05 Wide Glide. Other than the PCIII all else is stock. I bought the BSS because of the looks and sound, mainly. I was not out to run the quarter mile in under 10 seconds. It gets up to 70/80 quick enough to suit me.
Just my opinion...

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
piping

Sounds like most ppl like V&H BSS. Does anyone know if the Power Comander is a good thing to get for a stage one upgrade?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts