V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just looking for some input. A friend of mine works on alot of Harleys and just recently tried to reflash a PCM for stage one on a 06 and it locked up the PCM and told him that he was unautherized to perform the task and only a Harley Digital tuner could perform the task. Had to take the bike into the Dealer and they reprogramed it. He thought it was just a fluke deal and tried to download a SERT on his 05 Duece and it got 40% and locked up and kicked out the same info again. When this happens the bikes will not start and he is having to take his in now. Anyone ran across this, is this Harleys way of making you take your bike into thier dealers for service.

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
You mention two different bikes in your post. Is he trying to use the same SERT interface to program different bikes? If so, that won't work. You need the interface to hook up to the bike, and each interface "marries" itself to one, and only one, ECM the first time it's used.

If that's not the case, and he's using the proper SERT on each bike, then before taking it to the dealer he can try disconnecting the negative battery lead for 10 seconds to reset the ECM. As far as I know though, this only works if you haven't shut down the programming mode on your SERT software yet (probably not likely at this point). Once you shut the software down, I think it loses the VIN # needed for programming and you're kind of screwed. There are a couple of different procedures listed in the help file for programming lockups.

This just happened to me last week and I had to take it in to the dealers for a recovery. Luckily they were able to get mine back because a new one is about $340.00. Not to mention the possibility of having to buy a new SERT.

Mine's locked up during programming a few times, but until last week I was always able to get it to continue by resetting the ECM as I mentioned earlier. One time I had to reprogram it with an unmodified SERT map first, then I was able to put mine back in. It seems most likely to lock up if you don't wait a few seconds in between steps. Also, the service guys at my dealer told me they sometimes get voltage errors trying to program them when the bike is hot.

Hope some of this helps.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
popeye96 said:
Hey guys just looking for some input. A friend of mine works on alot of Harleys and just recently tried to reflash a PCM for stage one on a 06 and it locked up the PCM and told him that he was unautherized to perform the task and only a Harley Digital tuner could perform the task. Had to take the bike into the Dealer and they reprogramed it. He thought it was just a fluke deal and tried to download a SERT on his 05 Duece and it got 40% and locked up and kicked out the same info again. When this happens the bikes will not start and he is having to take his in now. Anyone ran across this, is this Harleys way of making you take your bike into thier dealers for service.
Is your friend using a USB to Serial adapter? If so it might not be compatable with the SERT:
Troubleshooting Communication Problems
General Note:

The vehicle ignition key and handlebar switch must BOTH be ON in order for the interface to communicate to the PC.

Problems Configuring Serial Ports

It's not uncommon for a laptop to be improperly configured for use of the serial ports the first time out of the box. Your first line of inquiry should always be to check with the PC manufacturer for information on how they recommend configuring an external serial port. This information is usually posted in the support section of the manufacture's web site, as well as in the computer's User Manual.

NOTE: WE DO NOT RECOMMEND MAKING ANY PC SYSTEM CONFIGURATION CHANGES UNLESS YOU ARE EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE WITH THIS. IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT YOUR ABILITY TO MAKE SYSTEM CHANGES, THE COMPUTER SHOULD BE TAKEN TO A PROFESSIONAL TECHNICIAN FOR THIS WORK.

A few common items that cause issues are as follows:

First, if you go to Start... Settings... Control Panel... System Icon... Device Manager... Ports(Com and LPT) and look for the COM ports. Is COM1 or COM2 available, or does it have an X through it? If you don't see any Com ports under the Device Manager, then you'll need to go in to your BIOS (how you get there depends on your laptop), and enable the Com port. See your PC’s manual for instructions on entering the BIOS configuration mode, it varies from machine to machine.

If there is an infrared device driver loaded on your laptop, they often interfere with the serial port you're trying to use. Try disabling infrared devices in the Device Manager following the above procedure.

If your serial port ever been set up to use an external mouse or a device such as a Palm Pilot cradle, these drivers can interfere with the proper operation of the Tuning Mode software. In this case, these drivers may need to be disabled while the Tuning Mode software is run. Consult with the software vendor on how to do this for their specific product.

Also note that some laptop computers require an OEM factory-supplied program in order to configure the BIOS and enable the serial port. This is commonly seen with IBM ThinkPad computers. In these cases, you must contact the vendor directly, or go to the manufacturers’ website and search for serial port configuration information.

Use of USB Serial Port Adapters

Some newer laptop computers have eliminated the serial port entirely, and supply only a USB port. Tuning Mode has not been formally tested with all these adapters, but many "name brand" adapters (such as Belkin) do function properly with Tuning Mode. It is suggested that you find a USB adapter supplier that will allow you to exchange and try several adapters to find one that works correctly on your particular computer.
HTH's

:cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts