V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to go to an Ultra or Road Glide leaning toward the Road Glide. My back is my problem. Can anyone give me reasons to go one way or the other? I have heard that there is less wind buffeting with the Road Glide. Can I expect it to be more nimble or ride different? I am 6', does one windshield hit better? I understand that you can add the same storage as the Ultra or would something be missing? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I have owned both(three ultras, one road glide)and am presently driving a 2000 road glide. I have over 40,000 miles in under two years, the reason I chose the road glide was the factory 95inch motor. I drive rather agressively and think the road glide is better suited for that, otherwise I would take either. If you can try renting each one for a weekend and good luck.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The Road Glide is the quickest handling of all the FLT's. It has the quickest turn in as there is no weight from a fairing or radio moving with the bars. This is particularly noticeable during quick transient maneuvers.
The front end sticks a little better. The bike as delivered from the factory has a little more dront weight bias.
In heavy crosswinds it is much more stable due to the frame mounted fairing.
At high speed you have to pay a little more attention as it does have more aerodynamic lift then the Ultra and the front end can get light, but it happens at speeds where most people don't go very often.

The Ultra has much better weather protection.

No problem riding either one, but the Ultra is a pure touring bike while the Glide is more along the lines of a sport touring bike, within Harleyworld of course.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2001 Road Glide, which I chose based mostly on looks, and wanting to be different. Seems everyone that has a touring Harley has an Electra-Glide.

Shortly after getting the Road Glide, I fitted it with a seat from an Electra-Glide.
Soon thereafter, I got a taller windshield.

I recently installed a Tour Pack on the back of it, along with rear speakers and the cb radio upgrade. I have yet to actually have my radio modified/upgraded, so I don't yet have the use of the cb or the rear speakers, but I hope to soon.

Seems that MANY Road Glide owners put the tour pack on the back, along with other upgrades to make it more like a sport version of the Electra-Glide.

You might check out/join the Road Glide group on Yahoo groups. Just go to the Yahoo home page, click on "groups" and search for "roadglide".
The members of that group are most helpful with any purchase decision.

A previous post on this thread mentions that the Electra-Glide offers more weather protection. I wonder what they mean by that?

Bottom line is, I'm sure you'll be thrilled with whatever bike you ultimately get, but you have to be happy with not only how it performs, but how it looks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Can't compare the 2 but just got back from a 6000 mile trk from west coast to east and back on my 02 RG, It was awsome and cross winds were no prob. The seat needs help and a backrest is on the list (I have ordered corbins solo classic and oval back). More power is needed of course but the brakes and handling are great (compared to my wideglide). Oh ya and the stereo sucks as does the head light. Just listing the probs, the good list is endless.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Just put 3000 miles on in a week 02 flht I have a tricky back and knees. The seat is very comfy and I put 16" high windshield on also highway bars pointing in (less wind resistance), very comfortable for me I am 6' 1" . I really like the open spot on the flht where the radio should be, perfect for small camera and bottle of gator aid, alos great spot for gloves and glasses. This is my first tourning bike and I am amazed at how far I can travel and not get tired. saferiding rickpoco

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I agree with Hippo on the weather protection. On the Electra Glide you sit closer to the windshield and the windshield throws the rain over you( I have had three Electraglides). On the road glide I even have the 15inch windshield and the rain hits me right in the face. Last night I rode 50 miles in the rain. The weather protection is my only complaint with my RG. I may opt for the extra tall 18inch Rg windshield in the future, if I do I will surely post any feedback.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have the 15 inch windshield, I'm 6' amd I get no direct rain in the face on my RG. I do get residual rain drops from the windshield blowing back which is kind of annoying. But overall not bad protection.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feeback. I test rode both over the weekend and I felt more comfortable on the Road Glide. The posts about weather protection give me something else to think about. Information is great.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I own a 2007 Road Glide and have found that the wind buffeting is pretty bad with the stock POS windshield. I just spent about $230.00 to get a 2" taller windshield from clear view, I hope this solves the problem, it is really hard to ride it on the highway with your eyes vibrating so much. I think it is dangerous, not sure why they built it that way.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The Clear View gets rid of all the buffeting. I opted for the 2 inch taller (Large), and at 6'7", I get now direct wind at all. I've had it up to 90 and no vibration or turbulance problems. I can feel with my hand where the air passes over and I believe it will carry most if not all rain over my head.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
joew said:
Thanks for all the feeback. I test rode both over the weekend and I felt more comfortable on the Road Glide. The posts about weather protection give me something else to think about. Information is great.
I have lower fairings and a custom clearview windshield on my 04 RG (see my avtar) . I road through some rain last summer light and heavy. At the end of the day my friends on 2 standards and 2 classics were a lot wetter then I was.

The clearview reverse curve sends the air and most water right over your head.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an '06 RG and have logged 9,000 miles. I have the Corbin Dual Tour w backrests and larger windscreen. I am 6' tall.

My major issue is with the stock handlebars. They position my arms too far out, especially if I scoot toward the rear of my saddle.

I would like to upgrade my bars in the future (new cables too) after I save the bucks.

The Roadglide is a very comfortable bike otherwise. I often travel two up and even haul a camper-trailer w a 6,000 btu ac unit. Different riding style w two up and the camper attached. Oh, yea, the two cases of iced beers in the cooler. It's all about balance.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
I put a set of Heritage bars on my RG.
They come standard on Police bikes.
The Heritage bars come back further and in a little more.
Much more comfortable and natural then the stock bars and you won't have to change the cables or wires.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
The RG has shorter shocks in the rear and does not handle as well with a big load. If you have a back problem, I would suggest that you get rid of the seat for a corbin or mustang with a backrest. It doesn't matter which Harley you buy, you will want another seat. The most comfortable Harley seat is on the police editions, but that seat puts you up to high in the wind for highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
The Road Glide comes stock with the same exact shocks as the Ultra, Classic, or Standard Electra Glide.

The Street Glide comes with shorter shocks.

That said. My Road Glide is lowered 2" front and back. Progressive 440's and fork springs.

I've never had a problem riding two up or fully loaded for the longer hauls.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I want to get a glide, hopefully next spring. Was thinking about Road Glide cause hear it handles better. But the main reason I want a glide is weather protection and a radio.

How does the Road Glide do for keeping your hands warm and dry? The batwing looks like it would cover your hands better.

Wish they sold a Road Glide set up for touring. I will probably by used though. Not sure if I will find one with tourpak lowers, ect.

Also how are the lights on Road Glide? I really miss myspot lights when they are burtnout. I got bigger bulbs in everything though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Traded my 03 ultra on a road glide in jan. It handles fine but fixed fairing seems bigger (wider) when cornering but handles ok. Not much diff to me really, just different. Too much rain here, I will add lowers before fall. Fingers don't seem to get much colder than on the ultra, slipstream is a little different as I ride with chopped windshields on both. Both feel well planted over legal speed limit.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I can't add anything to the handling characteristic comments already posted in this thread. My bike's great from that perspective.

On the seat, po installed the Sundowner on mine and I couldn't be happier. Keep looking for an excuse to do something else, but really it's great for my 6'2" body.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts