V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BFFB
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got old enough after many years of hating big electra glide hi way hogs to want one,,,, i have ordered an 03 shrine ultra,,, i have been on a road king for 3 years and was wondering if anyone that may have made the same swap could enlighten me on some things to expect as for as slow and hi speed handleing ??? is it really that hot behind the lowers in the summer?? i really like the king but i can now see the benefits of the wife being comfy and tour pak and tunes on a trip ,,,im very apprehensive and hope im not making a mistake!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey woodwalkertc88.......I have an 02 Ultra and love it. You want have any problems with slow or hi speed handling if you have been riding a road king. It gets pretty hot behind the lowers, but they can be removed pretty easy during the hot months and installed when the weather cools.
So far I haven't taken mine of and don't find it that bad. You and the wife will really enjoy all the storage space, the music and intercom system.
I would recommend looking into the Zepplin Air Seat. My 02 seat was the pits. Felt like I was sitting on the frame after a couple of hours on the road. The Zepplin has changed all of that. Much better ride for myself and the wife. Where are you located in Texas?

Tommie

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Not much difference. They turn in a bit slower due to the weight of the fairing and radio on the bars and in turbulent air like around 18 wheelers they are a little more nervous. No big deal. The weather protection makes up for it, in particular in rain and cold.

If you want the quickest handling of them all Get a RoadGlide, but they do have a little aerodynamic lift at high speed.

They are all the same and yet they do have different character.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ultra

thanks i love the king but have really evolved into a traveler,,,,i live in jefferson in north east texas ,,, a really artsy little town with lots of tourist,,and lots of weekend bikers,,,local dealer said i could borrow a used one but i havnt gotton around to it yet,,,i know my wife will love it ,they just look soooo top heavy

·
Registered
103 Posts
woodwalkertc88

I bought my Ultra in Longview. Is this the dealer you are talking with?
Top heavy............yep a little! Comfortable on those long trips...........YES!!!!!

Go for it...........you want be sorry you did.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've got a 2000 ultra 95" and it gets a lot warmer than my 97 Standard did. But I put the 10" windshield on it and it helped a lot, and the lowers stay off till the highs only get in to the mid 60's or lower.
As for top heavy just load all the heavy stuff in the bags and leave the T pack for rain gear and light stuff. The 97 was a lot more top heavy than the 2000.
Found out HD lowered the frame 1" and the seat had 1" of foam removed, so I sit 2" lower and it makes a big difference.
I ride 1 1/2 miles of gravel in and out and I think the 2000 handles as good as my lowrider did, where the 97 was scary.
I think you'll love it.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Your hands wont get so cold in cold weather, You will enjoy the stereo system, and I'll bet that you open and shut the tour-pack every time you ride it. The lowers are hot in the summer, but they come off. I made a trip to Bike Week from Texas, with a ulta-riding friend, a couple years ago. He mailed his lowers home from Daytona.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just came off of a Yamaha Venture in May 2002 and went to a 02 Ultra. I was absolutely impressed with the agility and maneuverability of the Ultra. It is very quick and responsive, IMHO.

I too live in Texas and taking the lowers off really makes a difference in air flow to the driver when it is hot.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live up here in the NE so my "heat index" numbers will be different than in Texas but I haven't found the need to remove the lowers even in the upper 90's. I think it will depend on the type of riding. If your at highway speeds, with pegs on the engine guard, you'll be fine.

As far as handling vs. the RK, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference. Same frame and suspension but perhaps a bit more "push" from the fairing. A gusty crosswind might grab you a bit but nothing that dramatic.

Now, the first time your caught in the rain, the fairing and lowers will keep you relatively dry, especially moving, as it creates a pocket of "still air" behind the windshield.

Ride safe and enjoy.

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts