V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had any experience with the chrome billet "ULTRA" cartridge style oil filters, offered by ULTRA? Looks like they've spent alot of time in Baja off road race automotive / truck development and now they're available for bikes too.

I've done alot of reading about them, and the element looks like a K&N style filter cartridge. It's a nice looking piece and form follows function, (ie; aviation quality and workmanship and the ability to inspect what the filter has trapped at oil change time), as well as you're able to wash and reuse it.

Big emphasis is placed on the fact that, "...100% of the oil is filtered 100% of the time.." ("ie; no unfiltered oil issues normally associated with the by-pass valve.")

They do go on to discuss the elimination of the by-pass feature, and their studies about what happens without the by-pass. "Essentially all conventional / traditional oil filter by-pass valves leak at best, by design, allowing drain back.." "However, this issue is not an issue in the V-twin design motor because of filter position/location.." "The ULTRA filter does experience some drain back, ("perhaps equal to a conventional filter"). They do admit that the drain back occurs faster than a conventional filter with a by-pass valve, however at no compromise, as the ULTRA filter
re-fills faster on next start up.." "Conventional filters just take a little longer to drain back because they have the valve, but the fact is that they all leak."

The distributor I talked to about pricing and availability quoted $69 - $89.00 depending on year, make and model.

It's a nice looking filter that would complement any bike. Just wondering if it works..

DLR

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:
Anybody had any experience with the chrome billet "ULTRA" cartridge style oil filters, offered by ULTRA? Looks like they've spent alot of time in Baja off road race automotive / truck development and now they're available for bikes too.

I've done alot of reading about them, and the element looks like a K&N style filter cartridge. It's a nice looking piece and form follows function, (ie; aviation quality and workmanship and the ability to inspect what the filter has trapped at oil change time), as well as you're able to wash and reuse it.

Big emphasis is placed on the fact that, "...100% of the oil is filtered 100% of the time.." ("ie; no unfiltered oil issues normally associated with the by-pass valve.")

They do go on to discuss the elimination of the by-pass feature, and their studies about what happens without the by-pass. "Essentially all conventional / traditional oil filter by-pass valves leak at best, by design, allowing drain back.." "However, this issue is not an issue in the V-twin design motor because of filter position/location.." "The ULTRA filter does experience some drain back, ("perhaps equal to a conventional filter"). They do admit that the drain back occurs faster than a conventional filter with a by-pass valve, however at no compromise, as the ULTRA filter
re-fills faster on next start up.." "Conventional filters just take a little longer to drain back because they have the valve, but the fact is that they all leak."

The distributor I talked to about pricing and availability quoted $69 - $89.00 depending on year, make and model.

It's a nice looking filter that would complement any bike. Just wondering if it works..

DLR

I certainly wouldn't want one if there were no by-pass. The purpose of the by-pass is to by-pass the filter when the engine is cold and the oil is relatively viscous. It also would by-pass if the filter were to become totally clogged. I don't know why they would eliminate that feature. It's a protection to the engine to have a by-pass.

I just use stock HD black filters on my Ultra-classic. I can't see them when they're installed. They are relatively cheap, too. $69-$89 bucks is a lot of dough for an oil filter.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
100% Filtration 100% of the Time

NEWULTRACLASSIC,

From what I read, their filter filters 100% of the oil, 100% of the time. Apparently their research and development has shown that even a normal filter rarely gets completely blocked as long as you practice normal oil change intervals. In an ordinary filter, "by-pass" occurs as a function of oil pressure alone? From what I understand this filter is like the ones we use on aircraft, (sort of like an Oberg design). Plus when you change your oil, you simply remove the cartridge/filter, wash it clean and re-install it. Will also show any particles that may indicate any unusual wear that may be occuring that you wouldn't see in a stock type filter.

Agree the initial investment is a little steep, but the convienience of reuse is attractive, and after 7-8 oil changes its paid for itself. Would like to hear from someone that has used one of these. I really like the idea of it filtering 100% of the oil 100% of the time...

DLR

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:

Got a link to a website?

How would you wash it? Soap and water are definitely out.

I guess you could sonicate the filter element in kerosene (carefully).

I would worry about removing all microparticulates that might clog the filter element.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ULTRA Oil Filter Web Address

The website address is: ultraoilfilters.com

DLR

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Try here.
http://www.ultraoilfilters.com/uof/page.cgi?g=;d=1
I do not trust their info.
They claim a by-pass valve opens once the oil pressure exceeds the psi rating of the valve, when it fact the by-pass valve opens when the pressure difference between input pressure and output side pressure exceeds the psi of the by-pass valve.
Not sure I trust cleaning a SS screen. How do you keep contaminates from getting on the wrong side of the screen during cleaning.
Never used one, just do not beleive every thing I read.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd rather buy a new filter every year and throw the old one straight in the trash then messing with having to clean one and then worrying if I cleaned it good enough.

·
Banned
128 Posts
cfromc said:
I'd rather buy a new filter every year and throw the old one straight in the trash then messing with having to clean one and then worrying if I cleaned it good enough.
I mentioned my curiosity about these oil filters in another thread, A bypass valve is not needed with them since they are supposed to flow about 5-6 times the oil volume over a similiar paper oil filter. I ended up getting mocked at and temp. banned partly because of this subject by another member(site sponsor,mod or whatever the hell he is) who thinks he knows it all.

Basically the idea is that these units flow more oil through the filter, but do it with a higher(but absolute rating meaning nothing larger than the micron rating will flow through it due to the mfg. of the steel mesh which will be more consistent than a paper element)micron rating of 35, and they can be cleaned via backflushing using a cleaning solvent like brake fluid. Regular paper or synthetic oil filters supposedly filter better on a single pass, but less oil overall flows through the filter, and occasionally larger particles can pass through depending on the quality and efficiency rating of the filter element itself.

So there are 2 schools of thought, less oil filtered(which may or may not filter smaller particles consistently)via a disposable filter can, or more oil filtered(which absolutely limits the maximum particle size through the element) the via a reusable filter element.

I personally decided to go with a high quality disposable filter that has large filter element surface area combined with a high differential bypass spring pressure to ensure that oil flow through the filter is maximized with minimal potential for the bypass valve to be activated. I went with the K&N 171B oil filter. It has 165 square inches of surface area using a synthetic filter media(which isnt effected by condesation in the oil), features a 15psi differential bypass valve and use in conjunction a filtermag magnetic filter which attaches to the oil filter which also aids in removing heavy metals.

The reason why I decided against the Ultraoil filter is becuase I question how well the reuasable steel media mesh can be cleaned between oil changes. How much dirt and debris gets trapped permanently? I prefer to install a new fresh oil filter at every oil change as it stands.

But if someone here gets one of those filters I would love to know how easy it was to clean and reinstall on the oilchange with pictures if possible, as I havent ruled out using one of those in the future when more information is available. :beer:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Opinion / Counter Opinion...

Understand completely. Seems that for all the many "pros" as ULTRA has advertised, "we" can offer educated "Cons..." The K&N "logic" sounds most reasonable to me also.

DLR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts