V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this has been addressed before, but I could not find it. I have an '05 Ultra and love it. I've put over 6,000 miles on it in just a few months. Yeterday I was riding a RK and seemed to notice less wind buffeting behind the windshield and coming up my legs into my face. My thought was that the lowers are redirecting the wind up behind the fairing into the riders' chest and face area. I did take the plastic wind deflectors off of the fairing when I first got it. Now I'm thinking these were designed to help reduce the buffeting. Anyone else with this situation? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
My first response when I read this was..."man get a radio installed or disk player"....who cares wind buffeting, if I did I'd be in my cage... But then I got to thinkin about what it was like before I put lowers on my bike....now I ride longer without getting as tired. Before I had to constantly readjust my footing because of the wind pressure, however slight was constantly trying to push my feet off the floor boads. The lowers prevent this. Up to about 65mph I sometimes even smoke an occasional cigar. But I have a e-glide and have a bat wing fairing, maybe thats the diff. Very little buffeting. Truth be told if I was a TT rider (tavern to tavern) and wasn't trying to cram 600 miles a day into some of my rides, I probaly be riding something without a fairing and lowers, hell, make it a chopper.

Ride with Pride
Jim

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Put the deflectors back on. I hate riding w/o them even in the summer when I have the lowers off. Those little pieces of plastic make a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I answered my own question today. I put the deflectors back on the fairing. It made a huge differance. I guess those pieces of plastic were designed just for that reason. The wind is no longer funneled by the lowers into the rider's face area. I also noticed the radio was all of a suddeen much louder and clearer at highway speeds. Thanks for the replies. I wish I had put them back on before the 2 big trips I took.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Get yourself one of those half an ashtray shaped air baffles that attach to the lower triple tree, about $20 at the dealer. Will make a big difference in the amount of air coming up between the tank and fairing. I don't know why they quit putting them on the touring bikes a couple of years ago.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Antonio Pendejo said:
Get yourself one of those half an ashtray shaped air baffles that attach to the lower triple tree, about $20 at the dealer. Will make a big difference in the amount of air coming up between the tank and fairing. I don't know why they quit putting them on the touring bikes a couple of years ago.
Those were for the Evo's. They were needed to keep the motor cool. The Twinkie's don't need them. After the first year, '99, the MoCo took them off. You can put it back on without hurting anything, it's just not needed for engine cooling.

The lowers on an '05 bleed more air over the top and along the motor side than previous years. Look at the differences between '05 and '04's and earlier. I take mine off in the summer and put them back in the winter months.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have FLHR with lowers, I don't notice any wind buffeting.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Put the deflectors back on the fairing, they make a big difference.

The baffle on the back of the triple tree makes a difference too, especially noticeable in the rain. These used to be standard on EG's, but H-D dropped them to save a few pennies, just like they dropped the passenger grab rail on the '06s.

·
banal
486 Posts
Would someone be as kind enough to tell me what plastic wind deflectors on the fairing are yall talking about, that you removed and then put back on? Id really appreciate it.

·
Soldier / Musician
8 Posts
CarbideDude said:
Would someone be as kind enough to tell me what plastic wind deflectors on the fairing are yall talking about, that you removed and then put back on? Id really appreciate it.
Here's the pic from the Harley calalog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got the Drangon Wing Variable Air Deflectors from Kuryakyn and if it gets really hot I just open them to get a little more air.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a product similar to what Rapz mentioned, but they look more like the stock deflectors and they pivot to open. They're great this time of year with cool mornings and then openable for the warmer afternoons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Deflectors

If you ride a 'glide at higher speeds, say 90 - 100 mph you'll notice that those little bits of plastic make a surprisig improvement to the stability. Personally i'd never have a Batwing fairing without them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts