V-Twin Forum banner

Ultra Limited Low seat choice

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  twcbiker 
#1 ·
The end of last year I purchased a 2016 Ultra Low. The seat that comes with this bike is not very comfortable for me on longer rides compared to the seat that was on my 2011 Ultra Limited and I would like to replace the seat. I was thinking about the Harley Davidson Road Zeppelin seat. Would this seat be a good choice? Any other suggestions for a better seat?

#2 ·
I thought I would update on the Road Zepplin seat. Even though I didn’t receive any response from my posting I am sure there must be others wondering the same thing.

The stock seat on my 2016 Ultra Limited Low was just terrible for me. I couldn’t even ride 70 miles without wanting to get off the bike. I had a 2005 Ultra with similar seat issues and I got myself a Mustang seat at that time to resolve the problem. In 2012 I got an Ultra Limited and I had absolutely no issues with the stock seat and could easily ride 400 to 500 miles a day with little to no discomfort. Last December I purchased my 2016 Limited Low since they were offering a great deal .. in my opinion .. on the left over 2016s and with age setting in and wanting more control holding the bike up with a passenger on at stops I was sure this was going to be the perfect bike for me. I could get my feet out much further for that extra leverage on the Low than my regular Limited. There’s snow and ice here in Wisconsin at that time of year so I wasn’t able to ride until spring rolled around. When I finally took my first ride of the year I noticed the seat wasn’t very comfortable for me but figured since it was my first ride of the year and perhaps the seat needed to be broken in a bit I never gave it much concern. However after several rides and there being no improvement I started getting concerned. I talked with my local Harley dealer and we started a series of different seat trials. Some seats were no better than my stock seat but I had originally thought the Hammock seat might be the answer to my problem. It raised me up about an inch but that was still about an inch lower than on the 2012 and it sat me back about an inch further than the stock seat on the low .. which I liked. I rode over 100 miles that first ride and the seat felt fine. The dealer offered to let me use it over the weekend .. and I’m glad they did .. and after several long rides it seemed to me that it really wasn’t that great for putting on many long mile rides a few days in a row. Back to the drawing board. I finally tried the Zepplin. It was HUGE and I thought it would look ugly on my bike. Much to my surprise .. it didn’t look bad at all. I took the seat for several LONG rides for a few days in a row and each time when I returned I felt like I hadn’t even been sitting on the bike for that long. The seat totally defeats the purpose of me buying the Low but what good is a bike if you don’t enjoy being out riding on it. I can still flat foot at stops on the low with the seat inflated but I’m not able to get the legs out further for the extra leverage I was hoping for with buying a low. I like the bike .. I love the Zepplin seat .. but if I had known what I know now that the stock seat on the low was going to be that uncomfortable I most likely would have kept my 2012 Limited. I’m soon to be 64 years old, 5’9” with a 30” inseam.

#4 ·
I would imagine the Zepplin seat would be a good choice if money is not an issue as they are expensive. I have a 14 FLHTK and replaced the original with the Sundowner seat at the dealer. Most dealers have a "try it" seat that you can put on your bike and go for a ride to check it out (at least mine does). Take advantage of this and try a few. Then decide.

#5 ·
Mustang Day Tripper here. Had it on my 2010 Electra Classic and then switched it to my current 2014 Ultra Limited. Worked great years ago but maybe my age is getting the best of me and am thinking of mounting the stock seat for long trips now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.