V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a previous post I read about an Ultra owner that was having a lot of trouble with engine heat. Is this a common problem with the Ultras? I presently ride an 1800 Wing and have ordered an 03 Ultra but live in Texas and am now a little concerned as to a possible heat problem. In reading the previous post I got the impression that the problem may have been associated with that one bike. Would just like to hear from other Ultra owners about this possible problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have an 02 Ultra and also live in Texas. No heat problems other than in stop and go traffic. It does get a little hot due to no air flow. I never even took my lowers off this summer and had no complaints of too much heat.
Welcome to the Harley family. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tommie...Thanks for the reply, have you had any other problems with your Ultra?

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
RCB,
I have an 03 Ultra and it got pretty warm this year in Ill. As Tommie has stated, only when caught up in stop and go did I notice the heat, not as extreme as the thread you refer to. It's warmer than the EVO or Shovel, but no problem, I kept the lowers on also. You no doubt read of the brake noise and the Volt gauge on mine and at least one other here seems to peg 16V at all times. Mine backed off to 13-14 one day and returned to 16. Other than that, I'm still cruzin' and grinnin'

·
Registered
103 Posts
No other problems and rolled over 7,500 miles this weekend. Time for another oil and filter change. ;)
I looked at the Ultra and the 1800 GW when I was ready to purchase a bike. I'm very glad I went with the Ultra.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Tommie said:
I have an 02 Ultra and also live in Texas... I never even took my lowers off this summer and had no complaints of too much heat.
I thought the factory recommmends removing the lowers if it is above 50 degrees ? Have you noticed any additional engine noise, etc from the heat ? Oil usage ? Just curious.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
twincamzz said:

I thought the factory recommmends removing the lowers if it is above 50 degrees ? Have you noticed any additional engine noise, etc from the heat ? Oil usage ? Just curious.
twincamzz,
I've searched high and low for that reccomend, haven't found it yet. It would be great if someone provided link or reference.

Haven't experienced any additional noise, oil usage or anything out of the ordinary from the heat.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I purchased a set of the HD soft lowers # 58525-95 for my FLHPI and the catalog says this right in the product description. Not as purty as the hard lowers, but they seem to work well on those chilly mornings.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Stock Lowers

The After-market lowers (soft leather) are not shaped (formed) the way the standard issue (hard) ones are. There is nothing in the owners manual that says remove during warmer weather. I've seen the comment you are talking about, but remember the Ultra comes equipped with lowers. ;) That's why I asked for reference.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
02 FLHTCUI, 10500 miles....normal maint, no problems. I also didn't remove lowers. Highway pegs help during the hot days, stop and go traffic does suck and your right side will feel the heat.
Brian

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Parts & Accessories Catalog, in the description for the leather lowers, says not for use below 50 degrees.

FWIW, my '02 FLHRI gets pretty hot on my right leg in stop & go traffic. Got held up in traffic east of Joliet, IL for about 45 minutes coming back from Sturgis this year. Thought I was gonna sizzle there for awhile.

-jeff

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I bought my 2002FLHTCI last May in Texas. I had just sold a '88 FLHTC which I put 96000 miles on. I thought I noticed more engine heat on the new one, but the H-D folks said it disapates heat better (more cooling fin) than the Evo. I do a lot of riding with a friend who has a '97FLHT. One day we pulled into a station for gas after 2 hours of high-way riding side by side. When I checked my oil the dip stick was too hot to hold. The '97FLHT's dip stick was not too hot to hold. The H-D folks said the difference was the way the transmissions were attacted to the engine. The Twin-cam's transmisson has more surface contact with the engine to conduct heat toward the dip stick. I decided to start carrying a SUPCO Dual Prode Thermometer when I rode with the Evo. Very accurate engine surface tempurates have been commpared at serveral locations. Same place, same time, same riding conditions...the Evo is always 20-30 degrees cooler than the Twin-cam. On the rocker boxes, on the noise cone, in the oil tank, everywhere there was heat the Twin-cam was hotter. Go figure!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
From the last reply it sounds like I'm ready to sell it. The other side is I like the bike. The fuel injection mapping is spot on, never a miss. In the mountains above 9000 feet it runs great, and doesn't foul the plugs. The brakes and ballance is outstanding. I spent $3000 in engine parts to get my Evo to run like this stock Twin-cam, and the Twin-cam gets far better fuel mileage. I have lots of lockable, weather proof luggage space. The 45amp charging system carriers its load very well. The stereo/radio would be hard to live without. A 700 mile day is within reason. I like the way it looks and sounds. After one Texas summer behind my, the H-D folks are correct so far...It can handle the heat. I think I'll keep it.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Thanks srb8267

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Just returned from Myrtle Beach fall rally on my 03 FLHTCI. Saturday rode down to Charleston, SC. Found temp. downtown to be 95. Lowers were on the bike. Heat from the engine while in traffic downtown was extreme when sitting. Left the stop and go sightseeing trip early to return to the road system in an effort to get air. No problems with the temp. as long as I was on the move. Currently the bike has 3100 miles, no problems with the exception of an engine noise (ping) about 65 mph. Any ideas about the noise? Also, has anyone tried out the engine fan made for the FL's?
Swain

·
Registered
250 Posts
RE 2002 FLT;
200-230F is fine at the front head temperature sensor. 250 is OK as well for TC88bs
Those of you with the EFI ECM, it has built in Temperature Management in the EPROM software that kicks in at 300F on the front sensor.
So HD cares when it is 300 - not 180, 230, 260.....
Of course your right leg started caring much earlier if you're stop and go.
Not to tell you more than you want but the EFI or ECM Temp Management does three things in stages.
1. It reduces the idle RPM whether the bike is stopped or moving. the range is 50-250 so you may not even notice.
If temp keeps going up..
2. It riches the AF mixture at all load positions whether the bike is stopped or moving - this cools the engine as more gas is cooler combustion. You won't notice this change.
if temp keeps going up after one and 2...
3. It cuts out every second fuel injector pulse which is a 50% reduction in combustion/heat production. This only occurs if the bike is stopped. You won't notice this either as the injector pulses pick up again when the bike moves.
This Temp Managemnt is only on EFI models.
Oh, that dip stick temp gauge thing is measuring oil temp well off the heads, not temp at the front head sensor so it will be 10-20 - even 50 degrees below the actual head temp depending on auxiliary oil coolers etc.
Not a big deal as the side heat is gonna chase you off the bike before HD even kicks in temp management in the ECM.
RE: Front Lowers - the engine runs cooler while moving with them on, your leg runs hotter. So what do you want a hot leg or a hot engine?
RE: The famous Fan - waste of money for EFI as if the bike is moving you don't need it. If the bike is stationary EFI Temp mangement will save your engine. What do you want more hot air blowing on your leg?
RE: Auxilary front mounted oil cooler - get it if you have a 1550 or are in 95 degree weather a lot.
I got 12000 miles in six moths this summer on my 02 FLHTCUI 1550 with the oil cooler, No problems at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've a '01 Ultra Classic (with an H-D oil cooler) and last year I took the lowers off to see if it made any difference. It did, when I was riding through farm country my legs were constantly barraged by (rather large) insects resulting in several bruises. Although I didn't feel the engine heat as much, I don't think it made any difference to the engine (temperature-wise). This year I left them on and, so far, I've noticed no additional heat. I just installed the new (after-market) oil temperature gauge (which replaces the stock ambiant air temp gauge) but have not had a chance to test it out (maybe this week end). No complaints so far........

Ride Safe

1 - 20 of 32 Posts