V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any suggestions for replacement antennas for the Ultra Classic that are not as long as the stock antennas? I want a matched pair (1 for the radio, 1 for the C.B.) that are flexible, maybe 24" - 30" tall, that don't result in any degradation of he reception. The stock antennas are too tall for my preference. I've seen guys with shorter antennas that they said they got at Radio Shack, but Radio Shack doesn't stock antennas anymore (although you can order them online, but I have no idea which part # might work). Cutting the stock antennas down to size isn't an option either; I talked to a guy who did that and said he lost his reception and had to buy new replacements.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I Have No Answer To Your Question...

But the ones I have talked to that changed to shorter antennas lost reception. The reception on mine is so good, I'm willing to put up with the longer antenna.

I was also in the market for a new antenna, for my car. I went to Radio Shack, and was told the same thing. I was going to try Good Guys, Circuit City or Best Buy...but I found a stock (long) FLHT antenna on eBay (hope it fits my car, and works as well)

Mitch

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where to get those shorter antennas that DO work

Hi

I, too, have been looking for the shorter alternative to my long antennas. I asked a few bikers who had shorter fatter antennas on their bikes, and they said they got them at Pep Boys.
Of course I looked at Pep Boys, and didn't see them there.

The reason they're fatter, and the reason they work almost as well as the longer ones, is that they are what is known as a "coil" antenna.

That is, they are really just as long (as far as the radio waves are concerned), but they are put in the shape of a coil, so they aren't physically as tall.

I think this goes for the RADIO antenna, anyway. Maybe not for the CB antenna...

So, try your local Pep Boys, or similar big chain auto parts store, and see if they have replacement antennas for broken car radio antennas. The kind that just sit over the stub of the old antenna, and fasten with a set screw.

And please let me know if you find them, and if they work as well as I've heard.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Shorter Antennas

Randy--

I asked this exact question about a month ago. I too didnt like the long antennas. Radio Shack didnt have them and I found exactly what I wanted at an Advance Auto Parts Store. I live in Pittsburgh so I'm not sure what you would have in your neck of the woods but it was a simple short rubber flexible antenna. I have lost absolutely no reception on the AM/FM radio at all in this area. I cant say for the CB as I never use it.
Look around, there out there.

Sarge

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sarge / Others --

Thanks for the info. I went to Advance Auto this morning and got the last one off the rack. Haven't put it on the bike yet, but I'm sure it will be great. Now, what did you do for the C.B. antenna? Is there a solution that will provide for a matching pair, so we don't have a C.B. antenna (stock) that's 4' long and AM/FM antenna that's 14 "? Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks....

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Ultra Antenna

I went to Advance Auto looking for the rubber antenna and they all looked like they screwed on the mount. I couldn't find one that had the set screw.

All the replacement masts were also set up to screw on. Did you actually find a set screw mast?

This location did have a smaller coil loaded CB antenna about 24" that although not an exact match, looked like it would work.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Whatever you do don't cut the CB antenna! Replace it with a proper short one but do not cut it as you can damage your radio if you do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also replaced my long antennas with a pair of the short rubber ones from Advance Auto. I did not loose any reception on the radio ,but did loose it on the cb. The cb still works fine ,but the distance I can get out on it droped .

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Ultra Classic CB antenna

I purchased a magnetic mount short CB antenna from the auto parts store threw away the mount and used the short antenna on my Ultra to replace the original CB antenna.

I want to get someone with an SWR meter to check it later but it seems to work fine. I don't use the CB that much but I think it works better now with the short setup then it did with the original.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
If any of you guys want to sell your CB wire mast that's too long for you, let me know by PM or something. I lost mine the other day and HD doesn't sell just the wire mast alone. Mine is too new for me to change things around yet. Thanks, Chuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.