V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my CB while commuting. I've gotten some complaints that I'm barely audible even when fairly close to the recieving party. I use the stock HD head set in a full face helmut.

Is there anything that can be done to boost performance of the CB??

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bruce, I've noticed a range of probably less than a mile with the CB. Something about the size of the vehicle acting as a ground plane or something. Just wanted to pass on that at one point I somehow got my mic turned around and was speaking to the back of it which greatly reduced the volumn that others heard me at.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that you mention the ground issue I remeber reading that somewhere. I wonder if there is an amplifier for the transmitter?

·
Registered
68 Posts
First thing to check is your SWR, standing wave ratio, this will difinitely cause low audio. Should be 1.5:1 or less. This can be done with the purchase of a meter, from Radio Shack. Also check the ground for the CB antenna and if need be run an additional wire to ensure a good ground.
Gary

·
Registered
147 Posts
As mentioned by others, check the SWR, and connections. The ground connection is the most important. Also inspect the antenna and connections for corrosion etc. If you know a local Amateur Radio Operator, they might have an SWR meter.

That is the best way to improve CB output. I would not add an amplifier, like truckers do.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You might also want to look at getting an antenna that's designed to be used without a ground plane. Most mobile antennas are designed to mount on the roof or trunk of a metal car which then becomes the ground plane. I'm going to get burned by someone for oversimplifying this but think of the ground plane as a reflector that effectivly doubles the length of the antenna. A very good thing on an antenna designed to use a ground plane. A bad thing on the same antenna when the plane is missing.

There are antennas designed to be used without a ground plane. Many of them will mention being able to be used on fiberglass vehicles. There are also antennas designed for motorcycles. OTOH, if you have a stock HD antenna then it's probably already the correct type and the problem lies elsewhere.

Good luck in any case,

Tom

·
Registered
758 Posts
Bruce said:
Now that you mention the ground issue I remeber reading that somewhere. I wonder if there is an amplifier for the transmitter?
Amplifiers are illegal, though others do use them. The other problem is that amplifiers draw HUGE amounts of amperage from the alternator and motorcycles are notorious for not having a reserve of power in which to draw from. These would include the Classic, Ultra, and all Police models, which although they have a 45 amp alternator, only produce that amount of amps at close to 4000 rpm.

An illegal 10 meter amplifier, modified to 11 meters, would draw about 12-14 amps at peak draw and at idle to about 2200 rpm, your available amp current is only about 22 to 24 amps. This does not include the lighting, other electronic systems, and accesssories. Another factor to consider is that the EFI system is not shielded for the increased E.R.P. emitted from the transmitter. You can have significant problems it not eliminated prior to actual use.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Don't worry about a new antenna. 10 to 1 it's the SWR. Very few bikes come through with proper adjustment and it's not just Harleys. Had the same problem with my 91 Goldwing. I would reccomend having someone qualified do it or at least read up on how to do it. There is more to it than just getting a certian reading and locking it in.

·
FLHTCUSE
526 Posts
SWR is a Good Start, Easy is Finding another Headset to try out. Your Mike may be bad.
I use a J&M Setup and The CB and Intercom Work Great, Swap Helmets with a Known Good before adjusting everything else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bruce, I noticed a while back that one dealer was getting the antennas switched upon assembly from the factory crate. Some of the owners manuals actually have photos that have them incorrectly switched. CBs on Ultras can get so little use that one or two owners can go through the bike without noticing the degraded performance. Lift out the tourpak liner and look for a wound loop pre-load coil going to one of the antenna mounts (should be the right side) and to the sheet metal grounding plane at the bottom of the pak. That's the one that to which the CB antenna (has the spring and external coil) should be attached. If not, loosen the tiny allen screws and unscrew the antennas and switch them.

The previous SWR comment also applies.

Kit

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kit Carson said:
Bruce, I noticed a while back that one dealer was getting the antennas switched upon assembly from the factory crate. Some of the owners manuals actually have photos that have them incorrectly switched. CBs on Ultras can get so little use that one or two owners can go through the bike without noticing the degraded performance. Lift out the tourpak liner and look for a wound loop pre-load coil going to one of the antenna mounts (should be the right side) and to the sheet metal grounding plane at the bottom of the pak. That's the one that to which the CB antenna (has the spring and external coil) should be attached. If not, loosen the tiny allen screws and unscrew the antennas and switch them.

The previous SWR comment also applies.

Kit
Kit,

I'll check the wiring this weekend.

Thanks for the tip.

Bruce

·
Registered
308 Posts
Mine is strong and clear out to about a mile, caravaned with my wife and I was on point and she said I was loud and clear. Advise given so far is good check SWR, make sure the ground is good, also check under the rubber boot and make sure that you have a clean contact and that the allen screw is tight. Good luck and by the way I also got mike turned around and pointing the wrong way once!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I also had trouble with the CB getting out on my 2012 Road Glide Ultra. I found the CB and AM/FM antennas switched. Reflected power was 100% with the antennas reversed. Correcting the antenna placement resulted in an SWR of 2.5:1. Not good enough.
I tossed the little adapter that connected the Motorola Jack to the antenna and replaced it with a coax cable. Then I isolated the transmit stud from the metal reinforcement plate inside the tour pack, grounded the shield of the new coax to the reinforcement plate and ran a 2 inch wide steel sheet metal strip to the ground plane inside the tour pack. Tuning the antenna by shortening it resulted in a SWR of 2.1:1, not bad but should be much better.
The problem was solved by replacing the stock CB antenna with one I purchased from Sierra Motorcycle Electronics. No antenna adjustment was necessary and the SWR was very low. At channel 20 the needle of my SWR meter barely moves off the peg when reflection is measured. I purchased the 3 foot whip antenna. It's big compared to the stock antenna and some may object to the look but functionality is much much better. Sierra also sells a nice set of adapter cables that allows you to insert the SWR meter between the Motorola connectors in the tour pack.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I agree with many of the comments about checking SWR. I have not had any problems with the CB I installed as add-on to my RG. I will say one improvement I did was replace the plastic bushing connecting the removable tour pak. These have been an inherent problem on HD's for sometime. I noticed the tour pak had slack and would move around. After researching I located a 2 UP TOUR PAK SETUP from [email protected]. The tour pak is solid now and improved ground plane.

·
Registered
5 Posts
CB output

All the replys and he probably didn't notice the white dot on the mic (on the collar near the foam windsock) needs to be aimed at your mouth or the noice canceling mic works to keep wind noise at a minimum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I mean the static or alternator whine. It's been this way since new. Dealer could not help it any. You have to turn up the squelch way up to get rid of it. Recieves clear as a bell with the engine off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.