V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an Ultra and the CB & Radio antennas are jsut long enough to hit the top of the garage door entrance when entering/exiting. Any suggestions on how to 'fix' this situation? I don't want to damage the antennas and didn't know if they offer shorter ones which will replace the stock items. OR if there was a way to tie them down a little at the top or ?????????

·
Registered
10 Posts
ultra ant

I just tie both antennas crossing them with a
piece of string. It lowers them enough so that they don't catch the garage door. Aalso backing the bike in works too.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Just let em hit. I had the same problem with my 2 previous bikes, a Kawasaki VoyagerXII and a Honda Goldwing as well as my current FLHTCUI, It never did any harm to any of them or to my garage door.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ultra antenna's

I just cross the antennas and where they
cross each other I fasten them together.
It works for me and no rubbing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Shorter Antennas

:) You can go to advance auto and purchase a shorty antenna, black plastic, flexible approximately 15 inches high, screws right on and in my opinion looks a hell of a lot better. Havent lost any reception from the AM/FM radio. Dont know about the CB cause I never used it.

Sarge

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I replace both antennas with shorty versions and still get great reception. I don't use the CB but I tried it for a while after installing the shorty antenna and it worked fine. I got the portable roof mount CB antenna from Advance Auto and unscrewed the antenna off the roof mount base, threw the base away, then screwed the shorty antenna on the bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
SargeS2, fcoxwell ... Any part numbers on those antennas? Love the idea of the shorties. We don't have Advance Auto down here in FL and the Advance Auto web site does not show any pictures. We've got Discount Auto which I think is part of the same chain.

Thanks.

UltraClassic
Sunny South Florida

·
Registered
111 Posts
I cut a piece of aluminum into a small rectancle. 1.5" x 4". Then I drilled a 1/4" hole bottom center on the plate [on the 1.5" edge]. Then I drill two holes just big enough to put the bead on the antenna through. [these are approx. 1" above the first hole and equal across the plate [acoss the 1.5" dim.] Then I slotted the plate from the bead hole to opposite side of the plate [away from the 1/4" hole [like a key hole slot] . Tie a loop of line through the 1/4" hole long enough to go around the luggage rack on the tour pak and around the plate. put the antenna beads through the plate and into the slots and let go.

I park in NY city alot. works very well. Ping me offline and I'll shot a photo of the piece.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Short Antennas

Ultra--

Sorry, I dont have it but I pass the Advance Auto Parts store most every day and the next time I do I will stop and get the brand name and part number for ya. I would imagine they would be readily available at most parts stores.

Sarge

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks Sarge ... looking forward to gettin' rid of those seven footers!

UC

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stock number

Ultraclassic--

Wouldnt ya know it, stopped to get the number and there out of stock. Couldnt really be sure where the empty space was sooooooooo. Next chance I get I will stop at another Advance Auto along the way somewhere. Oh, the make of antenna is Autoworks it that helps any.

Later,

Sarge

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Let me help you out....

Picked up a set from Auto Zone, 14" for $6 each. They are made by;
Metra RoadWorks
part# Universal AW-RM1R
nomenclature: Replacement Antenna Rubber Mast (GM/Ford/Chrysler/Japanese Cars)

:D Happy Shopping! BTW, Thanks SargeS2 for the tip:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Antenna

Hey Hogg--

Sounds like the ones I got, I figured most auto stores would have something similar.

Hey Ultra, you listening?

Sarge

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts