V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No affiliation, just think a lot of members would be interested in this product

This is the Worlds Finest Oil Filter ! From K & P Engineering, this Chrome Plated finned billet aluminum filter should be the last filter you buy ! Featuring: Re-useable 304 Stainless Steel Element, 7 Times more flow than paper filters, Magnetic Pre-Filter, Easy Element Inspection & Cleaning, Finned Housing Helps Reduce Oil Temp, Model S4 Fits All Big Twin 1984 tru 1998, Twin Cam 1999 to 2006, Sportster 1985 to 2006, Chrome Finish Housing, Includes instructions and filter wrench. FREE SHIPPING in Continental US

LONESTAR CHOPPERS

Review on Bikernet.com

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I could see myself getting one for christmas next year. By adding the magnet to it, it has addressed the one issue other filters of this type had not.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I like it but the sceptic in me is a little unsure. Someone get it and let me know after a while how it doing.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
That is not a new item well it may be for them as it looks very much like another that has been around for years. I have used them and they are a pain inthe butt. The spin on part is extremely hard to remove, the insert will seize into the other side and then you have to remove it. I think it is a great idea but not really new heavy line truck use something like it but they at least have a nut that you can put a wrench on to remove.

For the money I think I will stick with the cheap blk filters by the case.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
How many microns does it filter? How effective is a magnet in a moving stream of oil? why spend time cleaning a filter and what do you clean it with?
How efective are fins on a filter compared to a line cooler?

$154 buys a lot of oil filters.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The answers are in the article...............

csoday said:
How many microns does it filter?
The filter element is made of medical grade 304 stainless steel micronic cloth. Lab tests show that this filter exceeds the filtering specs of factory and aftermarket paper filters, including the new Twin Cam filters. An important thing to remember is that when oil is cold it does not like to flow, especially thru paper. When you start a cool or cold bike up, it is very likely that oil will bypass the paper type filter. In the disposable filters the bypass valve can open when the oil is thick and allow un-filtered oil to return to the tank. Oh, that valve can also open at high RPM’s , when flow exceeds the filter flow capability. The K & P filter also has a bypass valve but it is engineered to operate only when absolutely needed.

This filter flows seven times the rate of paper filters, a 1-inch square of this material flows an incredible 1.9 GALLONS of OIL at 1 PSI per minute!

csoday said:
How effective is a magnet in a moving stream of oil?
And if all of that wasn’t enough, they also added a pre-filter super strength neodymium magnet located on one of the twist lock ears that traps the larger metallic chunks before they even reach the stainless cloth.

No idea, but it sounds good, probably more effective than NO magnet, won't pick up them cam tension bits though :hystria:

csoday said:
why spend time cleaning a filter
First of all the stainless filter element is permanent. To service it you simply remove it from the twist lock housing, inspect and clean it and reinstall. That inspection step will be new to you, no more wondering what’s going on. You will now be able to see just how much metal your engine is giving up.

csoday said:
and what do you clean it with?
To clean the element you just wash it from the inside out. This can be done with spray type carb/contact cleaner or just hot soapy water. Make sure it is completely dry before re-installing it in the housing.

csoday said:
How efective are fins on a filter compared to a line cooler?
Start with the finned billet aluminum housing available either chrome or machine finish that also functions as an oil cooler, lowering oil temp up to 7 degrees over a stock type disposable filter.

csoday said:
They do mention value, but I agree, it is more show than go, probably won't fit too good with my genuine H-D oil cooler adaptor anyway........^rolleyez^

:cheers: John

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
The_Snowman said:
Lab tests show that this filter exceeds the filtering specs of factory and aftermarket paper filters, including the new Twin Cam filters.
Thats not that hard of a task to make a filter better than a stock HD one. Cut one open and you will see what I mean. It looks like an old sock that has been minced up and then held together with a wire screen.

I think I will stick with my K&N oil filters which are better than stock HD and better than an Amsoil filter due to more media. For 154, that is 15 filters or more depending if you get them on sale or not.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bit more research.........good enough for blood

http://kandpengineering.com/

A word from K&P Engineering, manufacturer of the world’s finest oil filters:
“Thanks for your interest in our filters. We think it's great that people are calling attention to the importance of oil and it's filtration. The more information we can get to people like you the more our product will stand above the competition. Remember, oil is the lifeblood of your machine.... keep it clean!”

3) How does this type of filtration compare to paper filters?

We sent several common brands of paper filter material off to have them tested for the size of particles they would catch. We sent the material off with no names, just numbers for identification so the lab wouldn’t have any idea what brand filter they were testing. The results we got back showed that the smallest particle the various material samples caught ranged between 9 and 20 microns. The LARGEST particle that was allowed to pass through ranged from 56 for the best filter to over 300 microns for the worst filter. Paper filters are rated on averages, percentages and multiple passes, so a 10 micron rated paper filter may be letting particles 50 microns and larger through. The medical grade stainless steel cloth that we use is consistent across the entire surface and is rated at 35 microns, meaning nothing larger than 35 microns should pass through the material. This type of filter material is also used in medical applications like blood filtration. Bottom line is paper is rated differently than the stainless cloth and either one works to filter your oil. Personally I like the idea of keeping the big stuff out of the engine.

4) What Are Microns?

A micron is one thousandth of a millimeter. That’s approx. .00003937 inches.

35 microns is about .00138“, (just over one-thousandth of an inch).

The lower limit of visibity to the human eye is about 40 microns.

Pollens range from about 30 to 50 microns

A white blood cell is about 25 microns

:whisper: But is it good enough for SYN :beatdh:

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
gnd_hog1967 said:
I think Snowman owns some serious amount of stock in K&P.....or trying to get on as their marking rep....
35 microns :yikes: :yikes: I will definitely stick with a K&N.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
How good is a magnet for brass, aluminum, bronze, so on, and up to 7 degrees, SORRY but I have used this thing, more trouble than it is worth.

It does have a "cool Look factor" of maybe 4 -5 being that is is billet. ANd if they where really trying to reduce temps it would not be polished, or chrome as that only retains heat.

I hope you know I am not getting at you about it only the product. These things come and go, like the 4 valve harley head , then the floating seat head, and the Hemi head. Most time I think that these items do one thing better but they do not offer a over all better advantage over stock

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I agree with HDWRENCH 100%, there is nothing new about this setup whatever. I saw the one he is talking about years ago & decided it was a waste of money then.

I also buy black filters by the case.

~John

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
csoday said:
I like the idea of have a brand new filter on every time. You can add a magnet to the side of your exiisting filter. Say a guy with it. I got my engine open. Going to stick a magnet in there see how much is magnetic.

·
Road Hawg
146 Posts
The_Snowman said:
And if all of that wasn’t enough, they also added a pre-filter super strength neodymium magnet located on one of the twist lock ears that traps the larger metallic chunks before they even reach the stainless cloth.
CHUNKS? :yikes: I thought this thing was supposed to filter oil, not gravy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts