V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently put a 3.35" open primary on an 02 fxst 88" 5speed. Starter only grinds. Replaced with suggested starter gear replacement. Still only grinds. Need a fix. Saw where someone took gear to machine shop and had it milled down a bit. But did not say how much. I'm open to suggestion.

·
Registered
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
85 Posts
Do you have the right pinion gear? I just did a big dog with BDL 3" belt and it need a 9 both gear. Some are 10 tooth. What does Ultima Require? Is starter sitting flat on inner primary? Is starter or Inner primary chrome plated? Chrome plating can make starter and belt to not line up correctly. this is from BDL fact page
Why don’t you offer your belt drives in chrome?
Chrome is an uneven surface. And because it makes an uneven surface, the motor plate does not mount evenly to the engine or transmission, which causes belt alignment issues. Once a motor plate and/or pulleys are chromed, it voids our warranty.
My guess would be alignment problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it is not chrome. Starter pinion and ring gear are raw steel and polished parts are aluminum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as alignment, all I can see are the pinion teeth are too deep into the ring gear possibly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts