V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded my Sporty 1200S for a new FXD. Can anyone tell me if the ugly, dull silver colored steering head bolt is supposed to have a cover of some sort or if there is a cover available? I love the bike, but hate looking down and seeing that big bolt looking back at me. Thanks.

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
trooper,

My Dyna parts manual shows no fork stem cap on the FXD. I wonder why? I don't see why the cap from a Low Rider, which shares the same fork as your SuperGlide, wouldn't work. If you're interested, the Part# is 45668-90

Dean

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FXDeanX said:
trooper,

My Dyna parts manual shows no fork stem cap on the FXD. I wonder why? I don't see why the cap from a Low Rider, which shares the same fork as your SuperGlide, wouldn't work. If you're interested, the Part# is 45668-90

Dean
Excellent! Thanks....will check it out. :)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Beleve it or not the FXD dose not have a drilled & taped TT bolt for cost reasons. Simply "glue" a cover of your choice. I used a oil dipstick for my Sporty, after I got a temp style dip stick.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kags said:
Beleve it or not the FXD dose not have a drilled & taped TT bolt for cost reasons. Simply "glue" a cover of your choice. I used a oil dipstick for my Sporty, after I got a temp style dip stick.
Sounds good. I'll look around and see what kind of shiny stuff I've got to glue on there. That bolt head is fugly!

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Just started reading here so, this is a little late but, there's a guy on Ebay that makes a pretty cool looking "clock" cover for that bolt.

·
Registered
232 Posts
They make a clock that fits right over that bolt...H-D...I find it usefull and cost about 39 bucks!!

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The clock is a good idea, but I already fixed the problem. If I had looked in the right place, I'd have found that HD makes a fix for the problem. There is a kit that replaces the bolt with a new one that has a threaded center and a screw-on chrome cap. Easy fix for an ugly bolt. The dealer in Killeen, TX had one in stock. Thanks for your ideas! :)

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
trooper113 said:
I just traded my Sporty 1200S for a new FXD.
NOOOO!!!!! Oh well! Congradulations on the new one. FXD's are suppose to be pretty hot. What do you think of it so far?

Ride safe,

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: Ugly steering head bolt

jockeyshift said:
NOOOO!!!!! Oh well! Congradulations on the new one. FXD's are suppose to be pretty hot. What do you think of it so far?Ride safe,
Mixed feelings. The 1200S seemed to accelerate better....also just more fun to ride.....on short trips. The FXD is MUCH better on rides of some distance and also lets me get into a more comfortable sitting position.....that's with highway pegs on both of 'em. If I could afford it and had the space, I'd probably like to have a bagger (FLHPI) and a 1200S.....but that ain't happenin'. :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
Trooper113,

What was the part number for that bolt cover. I have the same thing. I am having a chrome triple tree installed and want to cover that bolt.

thanks,

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sadlerb said:
Trooper113,

What was the part number for that bolt cover. I have the same thing. I am having a chrome triple tree installed and want to cover that bolt.

thanks,

Here ya go.....

48329-90

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sadlerb said:
That was quick! Thanks for the info. Did you have any problems installing?

SadlerB
None at all. 15/16" socket and you're in business. I put locktite on both the new big bolt and the threads of the little screw-on chrome cap.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Steering Stem Bolt

I have an 03 FXD. I covered that ugly steering stem bolt with part # 43830-96. I used a little silicone and it looks great!

Doug

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks nice! I just picked up mine from the shop. I had the chrome triple tree installed. She sure does look nice now. I an going to cover that bolt in the next few days.

Thanks again,
SadlerB

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got my bolt cover in today. I was looking at the instructions and it says I will have to perform some sort of fork stem and bracket assembly. Did you guys do that? When you took the old bolt off did the triple tree move off of the fork stem?

thanks,
SadlerB

1 - 20 of 33 Posts