75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, why is it that on motorcycles they are called seats but on
bicycles they are called saddles?

Okay, enough of that. The stock seat (solo) on my Street Bob I found
to be uncomfortable after 50 miles of riding. I changed it out to a
H-D "tallboy" which is a two seater. It is comfortable to me but I
really like the solo seat look and I have never taken a
passenger. So, I'm thinking, why do I need a two seater seat, right?

Okay, so I need some recommends for a comfortable SOLO seat, one that
will stand up to a 400-500 mile ride with comfortableness. I've
heard talk of "Mustang." Would that fit the bill and which model? Any others?

(I'm a retired guy but I'm driving a school bus for our district in
my retirement. Today I ran the air conditioners on my bus!) Spring is sprung.

Last Saturday, I rode with the local H.O.G. group. We had about 20
bikes that rode to a destination of 126 miles. I was third in
formation. During the ride, the Road Captain suddenly gave a signal
to pull on to the shoulder. We're sitting there for a few minutes
when I asked the R.C. why we pulled over. I remember seeing at the
lineup a new white Sportster. It sure was pretty. Anyways, the
owner had dressed it out with saddlebags, CB/broadcast radio, after
market solo seat and nifty rack behind. Again, it was really a
pretty Sportster. A Road King rider was joking about how the owner
was trying to turn that Sportster into an Electra Glide. Well,
anyway, back to the present, the Road Captain said the rider of the
white Sportster had dropped it on a 15 mph curve by taking it way too
fast. It was reported that he wasn't hurt much but it did do some
damage to the Sportster and that he was leaving the ride. I never
got to see it but I'm very surprised that someone could loose control
of a Sportster. He must be a very inexperienced rider.

Ride safe,
Randall

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
The H-D Sundowner solo is pretty decent although it will sit you up a little higher...fair price too compared to the Mustangs and Corbins.

·
Registered
454 Posts
zartoff said:
back to the present, the Road Captain said the rider of the
white Sportster had dropped it on a 15 mph curve by taking it way too
fast. It was reported that he wasn't hurt much but it did do some
damage to the Sportster and that he was leaving the ride. I never
got to see it but I'm very surprised that someone could loose control
of a Sportster. He must be a very inexperienced rider.

Ride safe,
Randall
Why would it surprise you that a person could lose control of a Sportster? You can overcook a corner on any bike, or get freaked out and run wide on any bike.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
zartoff said:
......First off, why is it that on motorcycles they are called seats but on bicycles they are called saddles?.....
Hey, Randall, why do you get on a plane but in a car???

Anyway, Corbin and Mustang make some good seats and I've got a HD Sundowner that I ride with every now and then. It's very comfortable.

I'd make some of the local meets around the FtWorth area even ride over to the IceHouse in Dallas and try out different seats. I've seen people asking somebody about their seat(s), I've done this also and invited the fellow to sit on my bike. Most guys will let you sit on their bike if they're standing there and again some don't.

Obviously that will just give you the feel sitting still and not on the road but maybe it will help.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
I still have my stock 2004 Dyna seat. But then, I'm a fair weather rider. Even when I'm burning daylight, it's 75 miles at a time, get off, walk, pee and another 75 miles.

Unless I find some really big bucks (I'm self-employeed) I don't see a few weeks off to go to Sturgis. And if I did, I'd take the truck and my tools to work off the vacation.

I have a butt pad for my wife and air-foil pegs and she seems okay with that.

When we were kids she used to 'squirrel' around back there no matter what model or what seat I provided.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Try a Mustang or Corbin vintage solo. I Put on a Corbin because I like the look better. I think the Mustang feels more comfortable but have not ridden more than around the block on someone elses. I can tell you the Corbin has a very different feel to it. It is very firm. It feels like you are almost sitting on a hard seat yet it is comfortable especially on long trips. I relate it to a very firm mattress. I soft one feels great when you only lay it, while a firm one does not give you that initial comfy feel you also do not wake up with a back ach like you do on a soft one.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mustang Wide Solo with backrest. Just got back from a trip to Key West - 3200 comfortable miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Solo seat

I have the Mustang wide solo with the back rest it is the most comfortable seat I have ever had . Been riding over 40yrs yes it is expensive I tried 2 other seats before this one one I took back too the dealer the other I got on ebay and its laying in my shop gathering dust.:lurker:

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
BoogieMan said:
I agree. I've been riding street for 20 years now and the Mustang with back rest is like riding in a recliner...

That is a current Mustang?? They always seemed sooo much larger and over stuffed in the ones I remember seeing in the past. I am quite sure they are comfortable, but I always liked my seats a bit lowered profile. That Mustang seat in a solo version would be very acceptable to what I would personally want!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I bought a Corbin Gunfighter & Lady for my wife's bike. It's well made and comfortable. Got a Corbin backrest as well. I imagaine the solo Gunsfighter is just as nice.

I'm looking at getting a new RK in a couple months and have been checking out the Danny Gray seats. They look nice, but I have no experience on one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts