V-Twin Forum banner

two tone paint problems?

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  NCFatBoy 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard of problems with the silver paint on the two tone anniversary bikes. I heard that there has been problems with this paint chiping due to a bad bond. I also heard that they where going to stop shipping two tone bikes for awhile to try to fix the problem. Has anyone else heard this? Is it true? Im picking up my two-tone Deuce tomorrow, and I will definitly drill the dealer with questions about this.

#2 ·
What I heard from my dealer was they were having trouble with the Sterling Silver Paint sticking to plastic parts. I.E. hard saddle bags, tour pac, etc. They don't seem to have this problem with metal parts.

#3 ·
Thats good news if its true. Well, for me anyway. I don't think there is any painted plastic parts on the Deuce. I see your waiting for a Heritage. I hope they didn't just feed you that line to keep you content since your bike doesn't have painted plastic either. Is it a two tone that your waiting for?

#4 ·
I heard the same, plastic parts, (such as the hard saddle bags made out of fiberglass?) are getting chips and some flaking.

The metal parts (fenders, tanks, etc.) seem to be fine.

As per my Rockville dealer....

#6 ·
Today was to be the day.:( The two tone Ultra is not in as scheduled. The dealer said they have received a letter from the MOCO that the two tone bikes are in a back log due to lack of painted parts. The dealers translation is more bikes ordered than they planed for. They would not extend comment on an actual paint problem other than the letter.:confused:

#7 ·
Well, I picked up my bike today, and questioned the dealer about the paint. They said there is "no problem with paint chiping" They said the problem is that the Tomahawk plant is beind on the fiberglass painted accesories such as hard sadle bags and tour packs. Who knows if this is really the truth, but I guess time will tell.

#9 ·
I seen a 'NEW' 100 aniv, model with 'chipped' not peelin hindquarters, ie. saddle bags.
Giving the shipping, unpeeling an stuff, but it was there on the floor on sale! :eek:

#10 ·
I remember some years ago there was a problem with silver paint on cars and trucks, I can't remember the reason but silver paint would not bond well. My brother had a bronco and the silver just peeled off, other cars and trucks had the same problem, I thought they fixed that problem a long time ago. saferiding rickpoco

#11 ·
That problem on car & trucks was that the primer was setting up too smooth for the paint to adhere...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.