V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently searching for a quality two-piece rain suit. Is there anyone willing to share a thought or suggestion?

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Aerostich makes some great gear, I use the harley gore tex jacket and an aerostich gore tex pants. They take up less room than chaps and leather. They breath when it is hot and with a sweatshirt or two can be quite warm and very waterproof. Expensive but in my opinion worth it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Spoke, I took a 2000 mile tour through Canada last month and wanted a new rain suit before the trip. Did a little reading and settled on the First Gear 2 piece suit. Got it locally for $90. Three days into the trip it started raining and kept on for a full 350 mile day. The suit worked beautifully. Not a leak anywhere.
The jacket and pants each fold up into an attached pouch and take up very little space in the bags. It has good wind flaps over all the zippers and a soft liner on the collar. Only downside is that it doesn't have any sort of protection against melting on the right inner leg like the HD suits do. Not a big problem on a bagger, but maybe so on another model bike.

Ken

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I bought the HD Gortex Rain Jacket and Pants (PNs 97251-00VX + 97252-00VX).

I rode down the Blue Ridge Parkway on my way to Biketoberfest this year. It rained like a son-of-a-whore the day I rode from Mt Airy, NC to Ashville, NC. Seven hours and 200 miles later, I was completely dry underneath.

Another feature I like is that the color of the jacket is fluorescent orange with a reflective bar and shield logo on the back. I appreciate the increased visability.

wyo

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Wyodude, that is the gore tex jacket I have, my friends say at night they can see me a mile ahead. I've had the jacket for two years and use it constantly. How was your trip other than the rain that is?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Thealien said:
Wyodude, that is the gore tex jacket I have, my friends say at night they can see me a mile ahead. I've had the jacket for two years and use it constantly. How was your trip other than the rain that is?
I have taken to wearing that jacket if I'm riding at night, I want to help the cagers see me all I can.

Re Biketoberfest:
I never posted a ride report mostly because the weather down wasn't the best. That said, I still had a great time. Riding in the rain still beats a day a work:D

It was good to see my folks. I actually rode about 500 miles the two days I was in Florida. The Bikoberfest was interesting, lots of cool bikes and some tasty betties.

Since the weatherman was calling for more rain on Sunday, I split on Saturday and rode the 850 miles home in 13 hours:D All in all, I rode about 2500 miles in 6 days.

I'm looking forward to next year, although I haven't decided whether I'll do Daytona or Myrtle Beach next spring.

wyo

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Wyodude, I wish I had been as smart as you were. I rode down in the rain for two days, waited to leave until Sunday and got to ride in the rain most of the way back through Georgia. I have the same Rain Suit and except for wet feet I stayed dry.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey Spoke: Couldn't afford the Goretex so I opted for the HD model right below it. It's comfortable, keeps me dry and it really is a quality product. I've worn other brand and also did a good job. Mine is also reflective and mostly orange. Don't think that riding in a black rainsuit is wise.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Old Hippie" Couldn't agree more with the safety factor, there has been a few times that I would have taken pink if it would have keep the semi's at bay.
Question, are you really an old hippie?
Also, would be interested in riding a few miles with you if you happen to pass through Asheville again, that is if you don't mind riding with a black "CLASSIC"

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Dawg said:
I have the same Rain Suit and except for wet feet I stayed dry.
Yep, me too! :D :D :D

I was down at the stealers and notice they now have Rain Gaitors (PN 98348-99V) but my feet ate too big (14 EEE). Next time, I'll coat 'em good with sno seal (waterproofing stuff for hiking boots).

I also bought the goretex rain gloves (pn 98170-02V). They claim they're waterproof but by the end of the day my hands were soaked and freezing. I think this is due to having water on my hands as I put the gloves on and off over the course of the day.

wyo

·
Banned
999 Posts
being a veteran of the rain wars that we endure for about six months between may and november in Fl has given me a unique perspective on what is nice to wear in the rain.

for the money, the gore tex stuff is the best but it is pricey.

that said wal mart sells some rain gear in the sporting goods section that is made by Stearns and it is pretty good , two piece is about sixty bux. also wear one of them Outback Dusters. goggles are better in the rain than glasses, a shield is better yet if you wear a real helmet and waterproof riding boots are a must. forget about gloves, they all get soaked, might as well ride barehanded.

signed, Mildewed in Miami.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts