V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have learned that twistys on the flat and uphill are funner n heck, but downhill twistys are scaryer n chit....so my question is, how do I reduce the scary on downhill twisties? am I entering em to "hot", do I need to drop down to 3rd or lower? or, do I just need practice to get confidence? I feel like I am running on the edge of disaster...

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Maduro Man_wcp said:
I have learned that twistys on the flat and uphill are funner n heck, but downhill twistys are scaryer n chit....so my question is, how do I reduce the scary on downhill twisties? am I entering em to "hot", do I need to drop down to 3rd or lower? or, do I just need practice to get confidence? I feel like I am running on the edge of disaster...
I suspect that you're unintentionally looking down in downhill twistys.

Personally, I find the farther I'm looking ahead the faster I can take a corner.

Maybe the perception of lean angle is amplified when your leaning forward (downhill)?

Hopefully, Harris will weigh in.

G

·
I would say there's everything WYO mentioned, plus this:

Turning generates friction, which slows the motorcycle (or any other vehicle). This is a physical constant, and therefore we factor it in, without noticing it. What this means is that on level ground, if you hold the throttle position constant, and make a turn, you loose some speed. This is amplified somewhat on an uphill curve, due to gravity. Again, since this occurs all the time, we don't notice it.

On a downhill curve, gravity more than compensates for the friction generated by turning. In a car we've all been driving long enough that we no longer feel this is odd. On a motorcycle it leads to a more uncomfortable feeling, especially since it is often combined with a tendency WYO mentioned, to not keep your focus as far out on the downhill curves.

It would be like switching to a car with out power brakes, after being used to having them. Although the brakes are still perfectly effective, they would feel "wrong" until you worked with them enough to get used to them. When you're on the downhill curves, the machine feels "different".

Harris

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
more practice, I like the sound of that....
I am not an agressive rider, I learned in my youth dumping a bike hurts, and it was reenforsed in my 20's dumping a bike on blacktop realy hurts...

so, I need to focus further out, and take it easy untill I get used to the new feeling....

on this one particulare road, the downhill corners are posted 15 mph and slope running 6-10%, so it isn't anything that is common.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
If I find the need to "go fast thru slow corners", I leave the house 30 seconds sooner. If the corners are down hill, off camber, decreasing radius, have unknown surface irregularities, steel/wood gaurd rails, have two way traffic and used by the public I add an additional 15 seconds {per condition}...

If you take a riders course at a race track, it will show you how and where to go fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts