V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im putting together my 95" twincam build on paper and people are mentioning fueling oil pumps,Baisley springs and S&S reed valves. Is there anything wrong with the stock oil pump and reed valve in a mild 95" build (Ported Heads, 9.8-1 comp.Redshift 557 cam, 2-1 pipe)? Is it really necessary to modify the stock oiling system, it seems to work just fine on a stock bike. Could somewon enlighten me on this topic.:confused:

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
from what i hear, i could be wrong
Stay away from the reed valve unless you have a race only bike
Fueling oil pump a lot of guys use and love them but are $$$
Baisley spring like 15 bucks raises the pressure and it is all you need.
Stock is o.k. as well
Do a search on the spring any i am pretty sure you wont find anyone dissapointed with it.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
I have S&S reed valve. Works good. Got rid of my puking problem(the one on the bike anyway)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Dew, nothing wrong with a S&S reed valve. Just don't try and use it with a Fueling pump. If oil carryover is a problem the reed valve works very well. For a build such as the one you describe the stock pump, and Baisley spring will be fine. If oil carryover (puking) is a problem, go with the S&S valve. The Fueling pump is a good part but expensive.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not mention in my first post that I was going to be using roller rocker arms with this build, so why would I want to increase oil pressure (using the "Baisley" spring) which would increase unnecessary oiling to the top end. I own a 96" shovel with roller rockers which we put a restrictor in the crank to reduce oil to the top end. From my understanding, the twincam oiling system design has too much oil in the crankcase and needs a better scavenging system to get rid of excess oil. Am I correct on this assumption? I dont want to buy parts just because everyone else is, I want to understand why and the rearoning behind it. Thanks

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
DEW2112 said:
I did not mention in my first post that I was going to be using roller rocker arms with this build, so why would I want to increase oil pressure (using the "Baisley" spring) which would increase unnecessary oiling to the top end. I own a 96" shovel with roller rockers which we put a restrictor in the crank to reduce oil to the top end. From my understanding, the twincam oiling system design has too much oil in the crankcase and needs a better scavenging system to get rid of excess oil. Am I correct on this assumption? I dont want to buy parts just because everyone else is, I want to understand why and the rearoning behind it. Thanks
Why would you want to spend the money on roller rockers for a mild build. They really aren't neccesary till you get over a .600 lift cam. I'd spend the money on a Feuling oil pump before I'd spend at least that same amount, or more, on roller rockers. But that's your choice. Just my -2$en#e-

:whatever:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RoadKingCurley said:
Why would you want to spend the money on roller rockers for a mild build. They really aren't neccesary till you get over a .600 lift cam. I'd spend the money on a Feuling oil pump before I'd spend at least that same amount, or more, on roller rockers. But that's your choice. Just my -2$en#e-

:whatever:
Less friction = Less heat = More horsepower + I will have them in case of higher lift cam in the future

·
AXTELLERATOR
441 Posts
Putting in Woods tw-6hg's right now and was concerned about including S&S reed valve while it was apart. I heard there might be problems, so I called S&S and got it from the tech that anamolies can occur when NOT used with the STOCK oil pump. It seems if you use a high pressure oil pump, like feuling, there may be backpressure in the case at high or sustained high rpm's. So, as long as you have a stock oil pump, your OK.
At least that's what the tech told me, so I'm installing it in my build while it's apart. Good Luck on your build.:cool:
P.S. If it turns out bad, you'll all be the first to know!!!

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
DEW2112 said:
Less friction = Less heat = More horsepower + I will have them in case of higher lift cam in the future
I'm not saying they're not a good thing, and I have no real knowledge of the cam you're running. All I'm saying is that I think it's overkill. Buy hey, It's your choice. I just think there's more important things to use the money on. Again, just my -2$en#e- Maybe someone with more experience will respond.:whisper:

:coffee:

·
Registered
175 Posts
stock oil pump

Harley updated the oil pump again for 03 and onwards, in any performance motor 1999-2002 it is recommened to replace stock pump with a 03 of later pump or the feuling pump..

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
If you have the money buy every part you want REGARDLESS what opinion is.

Just make SURE you UNDERSTAND what each does as you do it.

Everything in my sig line I am waiting to install, with the exception of the GP Pinion Support, I wanted to do on my original build last January and did not because people said you don't need it blahhhh, blahhhhh.

Well I blew the front rocker support plate, and I mean shattered it, blew push rods, lifters, and the support plate. Wanted to put forged rocker supports in with my roller rockers on the original build, and only needed the nudge of someones opinion to go cheap, I did, saved 280.00, well almost, 4 new lifters, 4 new push rods, and one rocker support plate I think was like 270.00.

When I did the cams and gears I wanted the Feuling pump and Delcron Cam plate. Talked myself out of it in reading all the posts, the costs, and at that time people were having issues with the Delcron Plates.

Since I still am cleaning up on the rocker support metal and have to pull the Cam chest to inspect the cams and replace bearings anyway, the Feuling Pump, Lifters, and Cam Support Plate is going in then.

All these parts are great parts and work well.

If you are doing a build and want rollers, do it! They do add valve train noise though. If you want a balanced and blue printed Feuling Pump/Plate combo, go for it!! I cant think of one thing it would hurt except for you wallet, but again that is subjective to whose wallet we are in. Want adjustable, do it. You want new lifters, do it! Send your carb/EFI out to Dakota Kid and have him bore it out for you, do it.

What I am saying is it is cheaper and more satisfying doing all you want and can afford the first time in. And while you will hear you don't need that, or your build dose not require that, use YOUR judgment on what you need and mostly what you want. If it don't hurt anything and adds to longevity, do it the first time.

Your Bike, and your money, do what you want with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts