V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Speed
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am looking at a low mileage (< 1000 Miles) 2002 Twin-Cam 88. Looks completely stock.

What tests should I have performed on the motor prior to purchasing the motorcycle?

Compression?

Leak-Down?

Other?

Or would you say forget it...If it seems to run OK then just buy it. Just trying to determine if the motor is in good running order and was broken-in correctly.

Thx,

Kevin

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
nevermind...

oh yeah, buy it if you have ridden it and you think the price is fair, a bone stock 4 year old bike with less than a thousand miles is a rare find...

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Assuming it hasn't been run in a while, change the fluids and see how she runs. >1000 miles it should be like new. Look for wear on the shifter peg and boards of pegs, helps determine actual milage. 2002 has slightly better performance potential with the older style case bearings.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
adlerx said:
nevermind...

oh yeah, buy it if you have ridden it and you think the price is fair, a bone stock 4 year old bike with less than a thousand miles is a rare find...
Not as rare as you might think...when I was shopping (mid '04) I came across numerous 2,3 and four year old bikes with less than 2k on 'em, in fact as possibly high as 50 percent were low miles...course I live in Va...:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts