V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Want to know what is the difference between a TC88 Carb Motor and EFI Motor apart from the intake, its obvious that one has a carb and the other has an EFI module. But are there any differences in the basic motor construction ?
2. Can a EFI motor fitted with a stock carb and vice-versa ?

Thanks, would be great help !!

·
Administrator
11,285 Posts
luky_13 said:
1. Want to know what is the difference between a TC88 Carb Motor and EFI Motor apart from the intake, its obvious that one has a carb and the other has an EFI module. But are there any differences in the basic motor construction ?
The cam is different and with the EFI and the ignition is part of the ECM.

luky_13 said:
2. Can a EFI motor fitted with a stock carb and vice-versa ?
Yes

·
Registered
142 Posts
There is a slight difference in the cams. I have heard of people going to carbs from fuel injection but don't know how involved it is. I'm sure it's not a simple bolt on considering the sensors etc.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
No, there is no difference. From 99 thru 01, the primary drive ratio was different, carb was 3.15 and EFI was 3.37 but that's just primary sprocket and clutch hub gearing not the basic engine.

Fuel delivery could be swapped around given enough $$ and right parts. I know a few guys that put carbs on EFI bikes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Springer, how's the weather been up there? I go through Augusta and take 17 out to Rockland/Camden. Have a place I go to up in Winter Harbor. Will have to stop in some day and say "hi"

·
BFFB
833 Posts
i just went from efi to carb and it is a bolt in operation , especially with a post 02 (i think) gas tank ,which allows a petcock to simply screw in ,, after selling my efi on ebay for 405 bucks it was pretty much an even swap,,i ebayed a stock cv and ignition module for 100 bucks , hales hd for wireing harness , manifold , coil , left side engine mount and other various parts choke cable , gaskets , etc

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, but if i use a stock carb on a EFI TC88 Motor would there be any difference in performance, any degradation ?

·
Administrator
11,285 Posts
Prky Pg said:
Hey Springer, how's the weather been up there? I go through Augusta and take 17 out to Rockland/Camden. Have a place I go to up in Winter Harbor. Will have to stop in some day and say "hi"
I am headed out to Camden tomorrow for work. It's around 12 degrees outside and we got 6" of snow last night.

Let me know when your coming through next time.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do i require to replace to convert my TC 88 motor from EFI to Carb. My guess would be:
1. Intake manifold
2. EFI Module
3. Air filter

any other things ...... ?

·
Administrator
11,285 Posts
luky_13 said:
What do i require to replace to convert my TC 88 motor from EFI to Carb. My guess would be:
1. Intake manifold
2. EFI Module
3. Air filter

Intake manifold
carb
petcock
air cleaner for carb
breather kit for carb, depending on carb choice
Ignition module
Wireing harness for a carb'd bike to replace the EFI harness
MAP sensor?

Bye the way, I am looking for a complete EFI system off a 2002-2005 twin cam.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry buddy, i just have a 2005 TC88 EFI motor, the guy who sold the motor to me kept the EFI module etc with him.... Thanks anyway.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
luky_13 said:
Thanks for the input, but if i use a stock carb on a EFI TC88 Motor would there be any difference in performance, any degradation ?
i cant comment on performance , i did a 98" , cams , and 3.37 gearing at the same time , it is definatly a differant ride , i was so sick of that pesky ,girlie man , easy starting, reliable delphi crap :laugh:
i like the lope at idle i got with the carb , and i dont mind pulling the choke , the occasional carb fart ,blipping the throttle when its cold to keep it running while pulling out of your favorite hang out , and all the things that go with a carb , in fact i kinda like it , it just makes it more like a harley to me

·
BFFB
833 Posts
springer- said:
Intake manifold
carb
petcock
air cleaner for carb
breather kit for carb, depending on carb choice
Ignition module
Wireing harness for a carb'd bike to replace the EFI harness
MAP sensor?

Bye the way, I am looking for a complete EFI system off a 2002-2005 twin cam.
my buddy did the exact same build on his 03 ultra and has the whole system if you are interested , the bike had 25,000 on it , the only parts he will retain is the map sensor and the bracket that holds the fuel pump ,,thats part of the float assembly in the tank

·
BFFB
833 Posts
luky_13 said:
1. Intake manifold
2. EFI Module
3. Air filter

2)efi module is replaced with an electronic ignition module , mine was a new take off on e bay for 50 dollars
3) i used my same k and n air filter and screaming ego backing plate
you take off a whole lot more than you put back on

1 - 16 of 16 Posts