V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, even though many people told me not to, and probably because many people told me i shouldn't, I decided to put a 2008 96" twin cam into an Ultima 34 degree 4"downstretch rigid frame. I should note, that to get this far i have scoured the forums, and appreciate all the help that i have been given by the wise and patient.

As it sits today:
Frame - Ultima 200 series rigid
Motor - 2008 HD 96" twin cam
Transmission - Stock HD 5 speed
Carb ..(yes i took it back to carb) - HD CV with upsized jets
Exhaust - V&H big radius 2 into 1
Ignition - Thunder Heart
Starter - Ultima heavy duty (mostly because i wanted the push button function)
Front end/Triple tree/bars/Forward controls - all swap meet specials
Seat - swap meet special... i know its previously enjoyed by someone elses ass.. but was too cool to pass up
Tank - extended stretch from Precision Framworx in Cgy AB

Using a vulcan conversion kit for mounts/trans offset, and front drive gears.

Still piecing together the primaries

Will try to load some pics as i went through it over the past year...

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few more pieces and its ready to hit the shop for some welds and wiring... hoping to hear it run by May sometime, then pull it apart for paint. Just doing base coat so i can get to riding, and then will bring the tins in next fall and start airbrushing...

Hav some technical questions on the Stator and clutch parts... but will get to those after lunch and a beer

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stator/rotor

So my questions, as i am at the point now where i just have to piece together the primary:

A. has anyone done the conversion to a twin cam before and remembers what they did for the stator replacement? because of the larger splined crank shaft my evo one doesnt fit of course. Will a standard 08 stator kit work? i'm concerned with there being an offset as it seems larger than the evo. Just wondering if there is a skinnier version in the aftermarket world.

B. The conversion kit states it will bolt right up to any evo after, using the offset plate for the tranny, but i dont see much room to offset my rear wheel belt sproket to match... does this mean going to a chain final drive?

C. Future state is an open primary... does anyone know if there are kits that would have a front pully with the larger spline that will match up to the rear pully.. i've looked at BDL...Ultima... and a few of the more expensive ones.. they dont show anything for 2008 and newer twin cam... just a thought, as i said... its future state.

Thanks all

·
Registered
567 Posts
Cool

That's going to be a nice bike. I don't have experience with that kind of build to be of assistance, but I will be watching this thread.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mike, i'll keep it updated as i make progress... and that is a genuine smile that girl has, can't beat that =)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alignment

Got the conversion kit this weekend, did some grinding to the rear mount as suggested and it dropped in like nothing... got the tranny lined up nd was able to bolt on the inner and outer primary in minutes. Had the outer redone in black, and the derby cover in diamond white. The derby cover was the original and meant to be tempory, but i did a quick airbrush job on it to give it some flavor till i replace it.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Off to shop for final fab

Work has been keeping me busy, but the parts were starting to pile up so it was time to haul it down to the shop and start finishing the fab.

Attachments

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
That's going to be one sweet looking ride!

:gj:

just wanted to let you know we are all counting on you...

to please keep the progress pictures coming

rkc

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks RKC, the next 6 weeks should be a fury of progress, i'll keep posting as long as people are still stopping in =)

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Waiting with baited breath to see the final results. Looking good so far!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shop day

Spent the day at the shop, got a lot accomplished, few more free weekends and she should be ready to fire up.

Love the way the oil tank covers turned out.. mounted the tank up high, and kept the fender cut simple and left enough room for hidden lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heartbeat showed up today, going to be a good weekend!!!!

Finally recieved my Thunderheart standalone, and grabbed a regulator... If i can get the oil lines run this weekend i should be able to fire it up and hear her run!!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
on the way to the shop to get measured for the proper starter shaft

No idea the year of the parts, so need to get measured up and order the starter shaft... tss on the oil lines, and its go time

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been a while since i updated, struggled with finding oil lines that would work with the conversion kit... did fire it up this weekend for the first time. I was trying to hold it at what i thought to be 1000 rpm so that i didnt starve the oilpump, and i have not adjust the carb yet, it just fired up first try (once i had the proper grounds on the starter)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151613342276336&l=1277435368036786563

1 - 20 of 21 Posts