V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been hashed out before, I Have 06 Deluxe FLSTNI. Stock except for Accel Plug wires. What are the best plugs for my bike. I know 6R12 is whats called for, but what brand? I see so many alternates it get confusing.

·
not sober all the time
5,670 Posts
Champion has made Harley spark plugs for years and I suppose they still do. Champion RA8HC, also known as Champion part # 810 is the same plug as Harley-Davidson 6R12. I have read where some guys that dyno-tune, won't tune one without the factory 6R12 or Champion 810 (RA8HC). These are guys that are well known, reputable engine builders and tuners. This is the plug I use in two of the bikes in our household. In the other bike I use an Autolite 4162. It is two steps cooler than the 4164 which is a crossover from the factory plug. I have also used NGK DCPR8E and NGK DCPR7E in our bikes in the past, with the 8 being cooler than the 7.

edit; the above is for Twin Cam engines. M8 engine may use something different. I don't own one and haven't worked on one.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,998 Posts
This has probably been hashed out before, I Have 06 Deluxe FLSTNI. Stock except for Accel Plug wires. What are the best plugs for my bike. I know 6R12 is whats called for, but what brand? I see so many alternates it get confusing.
What would you hope to gain by using non-OEM spark plugs? Performance? Save a couple bucks?

Your bike is 14 years old. How many spark plugs have you bought for it?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I replace my plugs every other year just for maintenance, plugs are cheap insurance, I still carry an old replacement set too, throwback to the shovelhead days. I use Autolite just because I can get them cheap right down at Autozone as compare to driving 30 miles to the dealer, they don't stock the Champions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NGK Iridum. Best I've found.
I changed my plugs to HD 810 gapped at .40.. Bike ran like crap and decell pop got worse. I put in my Iridium plugs back in except I changed the gap to 036. I read somewhere here that someone else did the same with good results. Bike runs great and the decell pop is almost gone, at least its tolerable now. Still searching to cure that

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
NGK, been using them for years
Never fond of champions

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts