V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been brought up before but I haven't been around here very long. Need some quick answers about oil coolers for the Twin Cam. I assume you can hook it up to the two front oil plugs near the filter but need to know of any problems that i might run into. Getting to 235 degrees too much here in Texas and we haven't been into the 100's yet. Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Originally posted by Texxen I'm sure this has been brought up before but I haven't been around here very long. Need some quick answers about oil coolers for the Twin Cam. I assume you can hook it up to the two front oil plugs near the filter but need to know of any problems that i might run into. Getting to 235 degrees too much here in Texas and we haven't been into the 100's yet. Any help would be appreciated!!
I can't remember the reasons but the plugs you are talking about by the filter can't beused for the oil cooler - CRS is hitting me maybe if Hippo reads this he can elaborate.

The HD cooler hooks up just behind the cam chest, the small cover which has two cone looking ends on it gets removed and not replaced - well some have ground away what they needed to inorder for it to fit. The hoses run from the top set of oil lines under this cover down and along the frame tothe front where the cooler is mounted, with the thermostadt somewhere inbetween. Either you need the "enginge interface cover" to hide the oil lines, modify the stock coned cover, or leave it open.

I think it is JAgg that makes an offset adapter for the oil filter which allows you to run oil cooler lines from the filter adapter rather than as previously stated.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
How effective are the oil coolers and at what temperature (outside air temp stop and go in traffic) should one start thinking about getting one?

I assume, even at 100+ degrees, at freeway speeds over 55+ the engine should be fine, but is this assumption correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed the HD oil cooler with thermostat on my 2002 Deuce and oil temp went from 225 in 75 degree weather to 190. The HD oil cooler part # 62913-00 uses an adapter plate that goes between the oil filter mount and the oil filter.

Takes about 1/2 hour to 40 minutes to install. The only thing not included in the kit is the rubber oil line (approx 2 feet of 3/8" oil line) and the 1/2 quart of extra oil.

Recommend it to anyone...a little pricey but it looks and works great.

Bill

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just keep an eye on the HD cooler- I've stated here before that my dealer would not sell or install the HD units.....He says there is something inherently wrong with them.
And living here in South Florida where bikes always run warm I have to put some merit in his warning.

I do like the looks of the HD cooler.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Unfortunately if it's not an -O-fficial HD product, my dealer won't recommend any aftermarket product. I think they have gotten burnt too many times from stuff that doesn't work.
I have looked at the different brands, but as far as looks the HD looks the best IMHO.....
So I'm all ears. I would like to install one but I need more input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts