V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a bit of a problem changing my engine oil. I tried to get the service manual but the dealer just sold the last one so I'll have to wait on that. I removed the drain plug on the pan with a 1/4 hex and some oil came out but the resevoir is pretty full. What am I doing wrong here?

·
Registered
85 Posts
the oil drain is the large 5/8 head plug in the trans case, left side of the 1/4 hex you pulled. I don't know what bike you have, but my Ultra has the large one as described.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Rkpickett said:
the oil drain is the large 5/8 head plug in the trans case, left side of the 1/4 hex you pulled. I don't know what bike you have, but my Ultra has the large one as described.
Wrong! He's looking for the drain plug for the engine oil. The one you're describing is for draining the transmission. The engine oil drain plug is on the left front side of the oil pan. That's on my '01 Ultra. Don't know what bike he has but he is talking about an oil pan so assume it's a dresser of some kind. Sounds like he removed the plug that I put the sending unit in for the oil temp guage. That is not a drain plug.

·
Registered
378 Posts
HarleyRCR said:
I have an 04 Springer. Let me go check the front of the pan now.
Thanks
Then you're talking about a softail and that is a whole different animal. I think the oil tank is under the seat wrapped around the battery, isn't it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is making me feel pretty retarded. On the pan there is the hex I took out and 3 horixontal bolts on the left side. I'm pretty sure the hex I took out is it since dirty oil cam out. It seems like the oil in the pan cam out but the oil in the tank is not free flowing down to the pan. Does this make sence at all to you guys?

·
Registered
378 Posts
HarleyRCR said:
This is making me feel pretty retarded. On the pan there is the hex I took out and 3 horixontal bolts on the left side. I'm pretty sure the hex I took out is it since dirty oil cam out. It seems like the oil in the pan cam out but the oil in the tank is not free flowing down to the pan. Does this make sence at all to you guys?
I wouldn't think the oil would go from the tank down to a pan to drain out. Are you sure there's not a plug on the bottom of the tank, some where? Really need a softail guy to get on here. Don't know anything about their oil system.

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
If you've got a softail, then your drain plug is actually on the right side of the tank along the frame. Just follow your oil lines from the tank and you will find it. If I'm not mistaken, you can do a search here and you'll even find a diagram of it from the manual.

·
Another Old Fart
241 Posts
aztriker said:
I wouldn't think the oil would go from the tank down to a pan to drain out. Are you sure there's not a plug on the bottom of the tank, some where? Really need a softail guy to get on here. Don't know anything about their oil system.
On the springer i had there was a hose with a plug at the end to drain the tank located on right side new the frame tube... hope this helps.... mike

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
chi-town said:
On the springer i had there was a hose with a plug at the end to drain the tank located on right side new the frame tube... hope this helps.... mike
That's the right one.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
chi-town said:
That sounds right. Just look under the right side of the oil tank and you'll see a black hose. That runs down do the frame and directly underneath that will be a drain plug (hex and allen -- you're choice). The tranny drain plug is located (on softails) right between the two shocks on the underside of the bike.

Tom

·
Registered
85 Posts
aztriker said:
Wrong! He's looking for the drain plug for the engine oil. The one you're describing is for draining the transmission. The engine oil drain plug is on the left front side of the oil pan. That's on my '01 Ultra. Don't know what bike he has but he is talking about an oil pan so assume it's a dresser of some kind. Sounds like he removed the plug that I put the sending unit in for the oil temp guage. That is not a drain plug.
Sorry, wrong bike....I just gotta quit ASSuming things...and read closer...

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Make sure you check the other fluids in your bike before you go for a ride. Make sure you didn't inadvertently drain something other then oil on your first pass...

if your unsure, wait for your service manual to arrive, and check it then... Good luck...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts