V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I correct in my thinking that any of the twin cam motors will fit into my Evo frame if I use one of the rear adapter plates?

·
Registered
16,961 Posts
Am I correct in my thinking that any of the twin cam motors will fit into my Evo frame if I use one of the rear adapter plates?
Some. Not all. As long as it was a 5 speed model, you're correct.

Edit: I'm not sure if that applies to Softail frames.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm mostly familiar with the FXR Harleys. The twin cam motors from an Electra Glide will fit into an FXR frame with some modifications. On FXR's the strut on the bottom of the frame which supports the jiffy stand and right footpeg support needs to be removed to clear the oil tank on the twin cam Electra Glide transmission. Then the twin cam engine from and Electra Glide will bolt up with no problems. If this is done then you need to weld a new hard point on the left front of the FXR to support a new Electra Glide jiffy stand. And also weld on hard points on the right side of the frame to take Dyna center controls for right foot peg and brake lever if you're running mid controls. I'm not sure if the twin cam Dyna motor/tranny assembly are retrofittable onto an EVO Dyna but I would suspect they are. You would need to consult with someone else on this matter to be sure.

·
Registered
16,961 Posts
I'm mostly familiar with the FXR Harleys. The twin cam motors from an Electra Glide will fit into an FXR frame with some modifications. On FXR's the strut on the bottom of the frame which supports the jiffy stand and right footpeg support needs to be removed to clear the oil tank on the twin cam Electra Glide transmission. Then the twin cam engine from and Electra Glide will bolt up with no problems. If this is done then you need to weld a new hard point on the left front of the FXR to support a new Electra Glide jiffy stand. And also weld on hard points on the right side of the frame to take Dyna center controls for right foot peg and brake lever if you're running mid controls. I'm not sure if the twin cam Dyna motor/tranny assembly are retrofittable onto an EVO Dyna but I would suspect they are. You would need to consult with someone else on this matter to be sure.
Maybe I misunderstood him, but I took it to mean he wanted to bolt the stock drive train with a tc motor using the Vulcan adapter. Which will work in a FXR, Dyna, or touring frame.

I still don't know if it works that way in a softail frame.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My bad! I'm familiar with the adapter plates. I missed that part. They make it possible to bolt a twin cam motor up to an EVO transmission and outer primary assembly. Disregard my post!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts