V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 flhrci fuel injected.... I have a problem with idle. I adjust it as harley manuel and it works find for a couple of months, sometime longer. Then it starts idling lower so I have to adjust again. Its been like this since new. I have adjusted so many times I figure the screw is going to fall out soon from turning it in so much. I have even had to reajust throtle position on my power commander a few times. I'm thinking something not tight enough
and Moving on throttle plate. Bike runs great and has 45,000 miles on it. Has any one had a problem like this out there?

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I've had similar issue wih a 2001. I've heard that the throttle screw actually is lossening over time, saw refernce to use of locktite to get it to stay. Hoping someone will confirm in this thread. Locktite seems a little extreme for this, but if it works..... Was thinking some of the silicone adhesive...

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Sounds like the bike is vibrating the screw out. A little bit of locktite blue should do the trick.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I'm definitely no expert on EFI but there is a cold idle setting and a warm idle setting on the Magnetti-Morelli system on your bike. Here's some info I got from a good tech on another forum.

First, when it comes to setting cold idle, the service manual leads you down a path of frustration. I have a very simple and effective way of adjusting it. If you start the engine stone cold and it idles below 1200 rpm (after it stabilizes) then turn the cold idle screw in. If it's over 1300 rpm, then turn the screw out. It's that easy. Also, to guarantee that the idle will be recognized by the ECM, I run the bike until it's fully warmed up, turn the hot idle up to 1200 rpm, shut off the ignition and pull the 5 amp fuse, run a lead from the cold side of the 5 amp socket to ground. Let it sit for 15 minutes or longer if practical, then put the fuse back in and warm it back up, turn it back down to 1000. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Ed Y said:
I'm definitely no expert on EFI but there is a cold idle setting and a warm idle setting on the Magnetti-Morelli system on your bike. Here's some info I got from a good tech on another forum.

First, when it comes to setting cold idle, the service manual leads you down a path of frustration. I have a very simple and effective way of adjusting it. If you start the engine stone cold and it idles below 1200 rpm (after it stabilizes) then turn the cold idle screw in. If it's over 1300 rpm, then turn the screw out. It's that easy. Also, to guarantee that the idle will be recognized by the ECM, I run the bike until it's fully warmed up, turn the hot idle up to 1200 rpm, shut off the ignition and pull the 5 amp fuse, run a lead from the cold side of the 5 amp socket to ground. Let it sit for 15 minutes or longer if practical, then put the fuse back in and warm it back up, turn it back down to 1000. Works like a charm.
Good info since the cold idle must be set first, before the warm idle is set.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Oh let me answer this as I am the mack daddy of this cold idle/warm ilde crapola with MM. First off get the bike hot or up to operating temp. You can do this by letting it idle or ride it for about 20 minutes. Your choice.

Ok warmed up now right? Well take off your air cleaner crap. Unsnap the very top sensor on the MM. It is the very top one. You will notice your idle speed rise and then stabilize. Now you can adjust your cold idle screw to the desired rpm. Somewhere around 1400 rpms should be good. Now you can adjust your warm idle screw. That is the screw on the bottom. Put teflon tape on the screw if your worried about it backing out. Engines don't vibrate that much anymore especially with the rubber mounts to make it back out. Although I suppose it could.

Next adjust your warm idle set screw. Turn bike off. Remove side cover on right side of bike. Look for fuses that are 15 and 5 amps. Pull them for a good 10 minutes. Put fuses back in, reconnect the connector, and then start bike. It should if all holds true, cold idle should be 1400 rpms for a few minutes. Give or take. The bike should be cold to check the setting. When its warm it should idle right at 1000 or 1050. You can go down to 950 but then you could have issues with the oil flowing to the heads properly. Hope this helps but this is what I did to get my 01 bagger right. keepem sharp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts