V-Twin Forum banner

Twin Cam Front End Upgrade

11K views 75 replies 7 participants last post by  kdkerr2 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to upgrade my 05 Dyna Super Glide's front end. Here's a pic of it now. It's mostly stock except for the newer right hand fork slider and the dual disk brake I installed on it along with an 11/16" Electra Glide master cylinder.

See less See more
#5 ·
No, I'm using Tokico 6 piston Hayabusa calipers. Because these Brake Tech rotors are non standard I have to fabricate adapter brackets. But even if I ran the Brembo calipers I'd still have to make the adapters to get them to fit. Pix to come.

#8 · (Edited)
I checked out Fab Kevin's website. He has some very interesting hardware for sale but nothing I can use. Also his gizmo for installing two four piston calipers on the rear is way overkill! It would lock up a bro's rear wheel in an instant! Here's a pic of my two Tokico 6 piston Hayabusa calipers. Actually they were also run on many other bikes beside the 'Busa but the 'Busa is the most famous I think. I have to disassemble them and clean them out and install rebuild kits in them along with new brake pads. I'll be running Dot 5 brake fluid in them. I've done this before on my 06 Sportster and 87 FXR except I used 300mm Harley front rotors on those projects.

#10 · (Edited)
Interesting! I checked it out. It's a good way to run your older Harleys with pre 99 11.5 in. rotors with the newer 4 pot Brembos to give your bikes increased stopping power, a very good idea!
These are the late model [08 & up I think] 4 piston Brembo calipers. Their pistons are actually slightly smaller in diameter compared to the earlier H-D 4 piston calipers [00 & up] but they get their increased stopping power from the larger brake rotors 300mm vs. 292mm.

#19 ·
I don't know. I was hoping one of them would see it and move it.

Don't let me stop you from continuing., this is good stuff. I just thought if it was in the right place, people looking for brake and suspension ideas could find it easier.
Well I thought everyone read everything that there weren't specific forums that I don't have access to. The FXR threads that I enjoy though I'll never have one must have shown by accident so I could join. Asks me if I'd like to join the conversations or something like that. Of course, my hero has one why wouldn't I like to know what he is up to? Actually I thought strong about Therms bike he is not that far away and it would have got home without a bent fender, but it was yellow.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Lathe Work

Here I'm turning down the OD on my external wheel spacers. The stock is 304L stainless which is supposed to be free machining. Since this whole front end is a one off project I have to fabricate custom wheel spacers. After some careful measurements with gauge blocks and then calculations I determined that the spacers needed to be .931 in. in length. Here I'm turning down the OD to 1.275 in.

Here I'm facing off the end of a bushing to .931 in. overall length

#21 · (Edited)
Lathe Work

Here I'm turning down the OD on my external wheel spacers. The stock is 304L stainless which is supposed to be free machining. Since this whole front end is a one off project I have to fabricate custom wheel spacers. After some careful measurements with gauge blocks and then calculations I determined that the spacers needed to be .931 in. in length. Here I'm turning down the OD to 1.275 in.

Here I'm facing off the end of a bushing to .931 in. overall length. The bushings had to be bored out for a 25mm axle.

The front wheel should be within + or - about .020" of the centerline between the two forks. I think I was able to do this although sometimes it's hard to determine this as sometime the forks have no place to measure off of because they have no machined hard point on one fork slider especially if the bike came from the factory set up only for one brake rotor.

#23 ·
Here are the completed outer wheel spacers. I believe they're pretty close to the same length. I miked the depth of both wheel bearings and I think they were only about .005" difference on their depths. I stamped them "R" & "L" just in case so they don't get mixed up. I've noticed on my Dyna that the stock front outer wheel bearing spacers aren't the same width
Wood Table Pipe Metal
s! Go figure!

#28 ·
Here I've done a mock up with my V-Rod fender. Unfortunately it's going to running a wee bit high. The original V-rods ran a 120/70ZR19 front tire [XR1200 runs a 120/70ZR18]
so there's going to be a gap but I can live with it. I may get my body man to bob the fender supports eventually.

#31 ·
I've sent two messages to the moderator to try to get this post moved to the Tires, brakes, wheels and suspension section but I've never got a reply! Anyhow I've not been doing too much on it lately but I did get my front fender assembled: Here I've got my V-Rod fender assembled. It was just a matter of collecting the right fasteners and bolting it together. Harley in it's infinite wisdom decided that the V-Rod had to have a two piece front fender [go figure!] I'm running V-Rod sliders on this front end project. Of course it still has to be painted red and some art deco work put on it.

#32 ·
I've just finished rebuilding my 'Busa caliper after soaking them in kerosene for several days. This is to disolve all of the Dot 4 brake fluid residue in the calipers. I'm running Dot 5 in the new setup and Dots 4 and 5 don't mix well. I've done this before and it works well. Here's pix of my new brake pads which are EBC HH compound which turned out to be what the factory used [the HH compound]. I was surprised that these were made in Amerika. I thought EBC products were made in Europe! After cleaning out the O-ring grooves with a wire brush I installed a new Suzuki rebuild kit in both calipers.

#33 ·
Here's a pic of my left hand caliper fully rebuild and reassembled. I haven't reinstalled the antirattle shields yet because I still have to locate the bolt holes for my one off adapter brackets and I have to be able to see the pads so they line up with the OD of the 320mm rotor.

#34 ·
Here I'm drilling mounting holes in the caliper bracket so I can bolt the caliper onto my V-Rod sliders. It's .500" T6 6061 aluminum plate. However after trying to fit it onto the slider I realized that there was a fitment problem and the .500" plate bracket wasn't going to work. On my previous two front end upgrades on my Sportster and FXR I used a piece of 1.000"x2.000" T6 6061 bar. You can use the .500" plate for Harley calipers but it won't work on a 'Busa Tokico caliper because of the slightly different geometry on them. The bracket has to be made with 1.00" bar stock and you have to machine an offset onto it for proper fitment. I can't use the older brackets on my Sporty or FXR because I'm running the new 320mm Brake Tech rotors not the 300mm Harley rotors. So I had to order some more 1.000"x2.5000" aluminum stock from Online Metals for the brackets. Here's a link to the XL Forum which has my post on the Sportster fork upgrade which is similar to the current Dyna upgrade. Sportster Fork Upgrade - The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.