V-Twin Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
My brake bleeding attempt was a total failure! I'll take it in for some professional help when my heated grips get here. I did take Red for a test run around the block. He was tracking true so I reckon I got my axle spacers correct! Here are the latest pix of Red after I got back from the test run.

·
Registered
17,278 Posts
Shouldn't it be Red & Blue? Almost PBR.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Slingshot383

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
My mismatched front fender is a blue plastic V-Rod fender I got off Ebay. My plans are to have Red painted Viper Red with a '36 knucklehead tank decal. As of right now Red isn't actually red but maroon, a sort of dark red.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Curious - what rotors are you running? My 03 has had the dual disk set up since new, but I stuck with the OE hardware. All's been fine but my rotors have warped - which is also fine but annoying, and so I'll upgrade come tire time. I like the look of the waves you have and have also looked at ceramic. What did you go with, why?

Also - since you're making upgrades - I went with Works rears, Progressive springs and Gold emulators in front, fork brace, Tru Track stabilizers - all years ago. My 03 went from handling like a pig to inspiring confidence and handling as it should. I recall at the time it was like a whole different bike. Tires I run are Dunlop K591s - a good combination of grip and tolerable wear. Other mods are to powertrain. Little chrome here and there. I've got removable windshields and bags, kept the mid controls, OEM bars, switchgear, etc. All in all, the basic FXD is a very versatile and good all-around Harley, IMO.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Brake Tech 320mm free floating rotors. Here's the link: HARLEY BIG-BRAKE KITS
My Dyna had a warped front rotor when I first got it. When you put on the front brake hard the front end wanted to hop up and down! This is apparently pretty normal if you allow your brakes to get to hot while doing a stop or repeated stops. Brake Tech is the only company offering 320mm rotors [same size as on most crotch rockets] which fit on Harleys. These rotors will only fit on '00 and later harley wheels with the 2.200" diameter center holes. EBC used to have the 320mm Harley rotor but they dropped it. I ordered my rotors from Howard at Motorcycle Metal. https://motorcyclemetal.com/ Bare in mind that these Brake Tech rotors aren't cheap.I believe Motorcycle Metal or Brake Tech has some kind of adapters which will let you use your H-D calipers on the 320mm rotors if you choose to go this route. A Harley Dyna is a big heavy motorcycle and the stock brakes [especially a single disk] can use some improvement. That's why I went with my dual Tokico 6 piston differential bore calipers and 320mm rotors. The rear brake on my Dyna with the four piston caliper and the 292mm rotor are actually very effective and I planned no mods on it except for a Russell steel braided replacement line.
The handling on all Harleys [except my Buell] has always had a lot to be desired. Every Harley I ever own was undersprung from the factory. I usually put Progressive Suspension aftermarket front springs in the front end. The stock front springs were always too weak and caused the bikes to dive badly under braking. On my Sportster I'm now running Ohlins HD144's [14.25" center to center] rear shocks. Ohlins makes a 13.5" shock for the Dynas. However these Ohlins while being top of the line are also very expensive!
One more note on the Brake Tech rotors. They are available in either stainless or iron. The iron units do give you more stopping power so they're favored by racers. However on a street bike they will rust like all get out if you get rained on! The price is the same [I think] so I'd advise to buy the stainless steel units.
Brake Tech 320 mm Free Floating Rotor for H-D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Awesome KD - thanks! I'll be looking into those rotors.

I meant to say earlier wrt brake bleeding - I switched over to speed bleeders and now it's an easy, quick job. Highly recommend speed bleeders. I also run SS lines - forgot to mention.

Re Buell - I have an '00 Cyclone and love it. Stock except for a race air cleaner and some CF bits however, soon to get a 42 MIK as I broke a float post in the CV. Looking forward to experience with the MIK, as I've run CVs and S&S but never a MIK. In the back of my mind I see an adjustable ignition just because OEM is set too low IMO. Maybe a cam and 1275 some day - or maybe not. Went apeshit on the FXD and kinda like the nice, quiet, fun-as-can-be Buell. However... there's that NOS race exhaust I have on the shelf... LOL!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Just a bit of digression here:
Here's pix of the old Buell Patch in the Man Cave. I pulled it off and in it's place are the new Buell Patches on the wall of the Man Cave! Buell has thoroughly disgraced itself with me forever! Buell is a joke of a motorcycle, a real piece of sh*t! I had my 01 Buell Cyclone for about 12 years and put about 25000 miles on it. During that time my Buell broke down on me more then any other motorcycle including my old 69 BSA 441 Victor! I will admit though if it was running right and didn't have a catatrophic failure it was one bad ass motorcycle, a true Harley crotch rocket which could accelerate and handle like a real sport bike! These upside down patches were sported on my former Buell light riding jacket which has now become a Harley Jacket! This was my FaceBook comment after I sold the Buell. The pic of the Buell was right after it had broken down on the BlueGrass Parkway. I've included before and after pics of the my old Buell jacket which was made into a Harley jacket after I sold my Buell for scrap.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
My Buell was mostly stock except for the Mikuni HRS42 carb, Ultima ignition system, Thunderstorm heads, a low restriction H-D air filter and Dyna air cleaner cover and a SuperTrapp muffler. I believe I was running a stock Buell cam in it. I couldn't stand the looks of the stock "bread box" air cleaner assembly so I never ran one!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I haven/t had a lot of problems. Got it with extremely low miles and immediately took it to a shop that did a lot of work on them back in the day. The set up the suspension, checked it all out and it was good. I did change out the paper head gaskets, upgraded to the later breather set up and vented to air. Other than keeping the bits tightened, it's been routine maintenance. Issue with the carb was my fault, my fix failed and so I'll go Mikuni. It is a hoot and handles by thought. I'm amazed at how stable it is. Don't see many of them either. Looks like you swapped out the forks?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
I should have mentioned earlier in this presentation that some viewers had mentioned that the use of wire spoked wheels can be problematic when upgrading to these aftermarket calipers such was the 6 pot Tokico calipers I've been using. All of my front end upgrade projects used Harley mag wheels. The wire spoked wheels are slightly wider then the H-D mag wheels so their can be an interference problem. If you are running the 8.5" 49mm midglide or the wideglide front end you can still run the wire spoked wheels if you space out the rotors outboar slightly. This would necessitate the use of one off caliper brackets because of the offset rotors.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
FXDRYDR2 asked: "Looks like you swapped out the forks?"
No, my Buell was a Frankenstein Buell made up of parts I bought from Ebay and at swap meets and got a salvage title and registration for it. It had an X1 Lightning front end on it when I put it together. Buell Cyclones came from the factory stock with a conventional front end not the upside down units.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
On the Road Finally!
I went back to Junction City Cycles and got Red. They bled my new front brake system, installed new front Progressive Suspension fork springs, installed my new Russell braided steel rear brake line and bled and replaced the fluid in the rear system. They took off my Avon heated grips and installed a set of Willy G Skull heated grips from Harley. I foolishly ordered the Avon heated grips not having done any study of the matter. Don't buy Avon heated grips! My experience with them was less then satifactory! The problem was that Shotgun of Junction City Cycles like all Indy motorcycle shops can't order factory H-D parts because of Harley's boycott! But I digress. I got the bike home. I trailered it because the Weather Channel said 90% chance of rain today. They lied as usual! But I did take Red for a hundred mile test ride and the new brakes were impressive. Of course the pads aren't fully seated yet so more to come. Also I had to scrub in my new Dunlop StreetSmart RoadSmart 3 120/70ZR18 front tire in. I got in 101 miles on my test run and was quite satisfied that the new front end was tracking like it was supposed to and the new brakes were also working properly. It was just cool enough that my hands started getting cold so I got to test out my new heated grips and they were also working fine!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
This should conclude my presentation on Red's front end upgrade. One more note I almost forgot. Arlen Ness has a 15" [that's 381 mm] free floating rotor kit for sale. I hadn't read any reports on it but my Buell had a single 340 mm rotor and for all it's faults crappy stopping power was not one of them! I suspect this 15" rotor would be a very good upgrade for a Big Twin Harley or a Sportster. Arlen Ness 15

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Because they were an aftermarket tubes I bought from a company in Florida. They're about 4 inches longer then Dyna Fat Bob or Dyna Street Bob. Had I known that before I purchased them I wouldn't have bought them.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts