V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to upgrade my 05 Dyna Super Glide's front end. Here's a pic of it now. It's mostly stock except for the newer right hand fork slider and the dual disk brake I installed on it along with an 11/16" Electra Glide master cylinder.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here's the new front forks. The triple tree is off an 06 Dyna Street Bob as are the 49mm fork tubes. The sliders are off a V-
Rod. The rim is off an XR1200 Sportster.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's one of my new brake rotors. They're Brake Tech 320mm free floating rotors. Harley front rotors are 292mm and 300mm diameters.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool using the touring brembo calipers?
No, I'm using Tokico 6 piston Hayabusa calipers. Because these Brake Tech rotors are non standard I have to fabricate adapter brackets. But even if I ran the Brembo calipers I'd still have to make the adapters to get them to fit. Pix to come.

·
Registered
16,405 Posts
Somebody sells those adapters but I can't remember who. Fab Kev maybe?
Ha! alotta help I am.
At least you got him started on the hunt....maybe.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I checked out Fab Kevin's website. He has some very interesting hardware for sale but nothing I can use. Also his gizmo for installing two four piston calipers on the rear is way overkill! It would lock up a bro's rear wheel in an instant! Here's a pic of my two Tokico 6 piston Hayabusa calipers. Actually they were also run on many other bikes beside the 'Busa but the 'Busa is the most famous I think. I have to disassemble them and clean them out and install rebuild kits in them along with new brake pads. I'll be running Dot 5 brake fluid in them. I've done this before on my 06 Sportster and 87 FXR except I used 300mm Harley front rotors on those projects.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Maybe I was thinking of these.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Interesting! I checked it out. It's a good way to run your older Harleys with pre 99 11.5 in. rotors with the newer 4 pot Brembos to give your bikes increased stopping power, a very good idea!
These are the late model [08 & up I think] 4 piston Brembo calipers. Their pistons are actually slightly smaller in diameter compared to the earlier H-D 4 piston calipers [00 & up] but they get their increased stopping power from the larger brake rotors 300mm vs. 292mm.

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
No, just a front end upgrade on an 05 Dyna Super Glide.
I have read a lot of threads here even though I don't have the models that these members have. Still interesting. I don't even work on my own bike other than simple things as I have the money to pay an indie. Most threads get into the numbers of what size every nut and bolt is. Goes right over my head. Therm, TT, Arcangel and those other guys probably get off on those things. I appreciate your writing style.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I don't know. I was hoping one of them would see it and move it.

Don't let me stop you from continuing., this is good stuff. I just thought if it was in the right place, people looking for brake and suspension ideas could find it easier.

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
I don't know. I was hoping one of them would see it and move it.

Don't let me stop you from continuing., this is good stuff. I just thought if it was in the right place, people looking for brake and suspension ideas could find it easier.
Well I thought everyone read everything that there weren't specific forums that I don't have access to. The FXR threads that I enjoy though I'll never have one must have shown by accident so I could join. Asks me if I'd like to join the conversations or something like that. Of course, my hero has one why wouldn't I like to know what he is up to? Actually I thought strong about Therms bike he is not that far away and it would have got home without a bent fender, but it was yellow.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lathe Work

Here I'm turning down the OD on my external wheel spacers. The stock is 304L stainless which is supposed to be free machining. Since this whole front end is a one off project I have to fabricate custom wheel spacers. After some careful measurements with gauge blocks and then calculations I determined that the spacers needed to be .931 in. in length. Here I'm turning down the OD to 1.275 in.

Here I'm facing off the end of a bushing to .931 in. overall length

1 - 20 of 76 Posts