V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lets see if I got this right:
Twin Cam runs hotter and gets lousy mileage.
Sure happy with my 96 Evo FLTCUI.
Spoke to a cop who rode new Twin Cam in parade. Said inside of his thighs were red from the heat.
Saw one State Police bike with that fan on it. That should help.
I may never get rid of my ole 96 !

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hear ya Bill C. Wished I woulda kept my evo. I've got a 2000 tc88 and have had more trouble with it than its worth. Damn bike must have been built on a Monday or Friday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hah! i'll keep my twincam, you can keep your evo......i have had no problem with mine, heat, mileage or otherwise. wanna race?......moto

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've not had any problems with mine, ridden two smokin' hot summers in FL and South GA with no real overheating problems, gas mileage could be better but it aint bad, the thing has been very dependable all year round. I remember feeling odd about the evo when the shovel's were being dumped by HD. I have not gotten attached to another engine since then.

The Evo is great but I'll keep my smooth, fast (relatively speaking), and dependable TC88.

If I wanted reeaal smooth, cool, fast, and dependable, I'd buy a Honda :eek: yikes...did I say that.. may it never be.. UHHH could I have a radiator to go with that... :D

Ape

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 99 twincam and no problems to report so far. I was worried about the new motor but have no regrets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an '01flht with 26000 trouble free miles. Been from Pa. acrossed Canada up the Alaskan highway and acrossed the northern U.S. Easy to work on for maintanance. It handled everything from superhighways to rural roads to350 mile days on rutted gravel on the Alaskan highway. I couldn't be happier with the bike.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rode my TC88B 800 miles one weekend during a 114 degree spree in Texas earlier this year, 12 miles of that took 45 min. during the ROT rally parade no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
The TC has considerable more cooling fin area than the Evo. EVO is a great engine but, the TC is just better. I still love the ol Shovels and Pans, but I would not want one as my only bike.

Ridin with my friend at Sturgis this year heading into Hullet, Wyoming and traffic was killin, the heat was killin and his 98 EVO overheated. For any considerable time in the South or West, I would recommend an oil cooler on any HD. YMMV.

·
Banned
999 Posts
never seen you over here before Bill!

since I own both, I can say the evo feels as if it runs cooler, I actually like the old bike more than the new one but I suspect that the TC is going to be more trouble free over the years.

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
Chingon.....I by all means am not
callin you a liar....but I have to ask.
How the hell was it a 114 degree day
during the first week of June. I was
in San Antonio that week and dont
remember it being anywhere near
that hot.

I do however agree with you all the
way on the TC88.....Have 10k on
mine since April and havent had any
problems at all. Short distances....long
distances.....Hot....Cold....So far everything
is good. Maybe it will stay that way.

Later.

·
EvilMonger
8,792 Posts
The evo in its early years was not perfect either. It had a few problems in the beginning. The TC is in its infancy and I bet we are just starting to see the potential of this motor. I have 66,000+ miles on my 2000 TC95 and have had a stator replaced along with a few EFI components. The bike has never left me stranded and is far from babied. I do not even think the cam chain is a week link, I do think the tensioner material in some bikes is suspect?? I am doing some major performance upgrades including heavier valve springs for my heads so I am changing to gear drive. If it wasn't for the cam and heavier valve springs I was going to keep the chains (polished). Relax everyone and enjoy your bike. If it brakes, make it better, why worry!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hippo, what's the name of your shop? I'll be heading out to the valley as soon as I sell my house here in the east and would like to drop by and talk/drink. PM me if posting is a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Just remember that the more heat you feel on your thighs is more heat that the engine is shedding to the air because of the greater heat sink area of the bigger fins. AustinFXDWG

·
Registered
294 Posts
2000 TC88B, no problems. No way I'll ever have an engine that will vibrate my hands numb!

·
Registered
568 Posts
My question about temps would have to be . . . .

What is the comparative oil temperature between an EVO and a TC-88? The heat you feel coming off the engine may be because the TC gets rid of the heat better than the EVO. Oil temperature is the only way I know of to accurately take the engine's true temperature.

Ken

1 - 20 of 32 Posts