V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2000 Dyna with 30,000mi has been sitting for a year. This off season I took it into a shop to have the Tensioner shoes replaced with "Cycos".
All new timing chest bearings.
I did not have the tech install adjustable push rods, had the rocker boxed removed, installed rocker lockers and retained the stock push rods.
Took the bike out for the first time today and it's blowing the oil cap off and oil all over hell.
Could the tech have overlooked a timing issue?
Could there be a plugged vent from sitting?
What else could it be?
Thanks for any clues.
Frank

·
Super Moderator
20,087 Posts
I would want to check the cam timing. Have a looksee at the bosses the bearings push into. Just because mistakes can be made. But do a leakage test before you pull it down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Thermodyne. The engine power seems fine, so cam timing and leakdown cylinder pressure could still be suspect?

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
The upper box gaskets are in upside down, I would bet. Covers the breathing passage, no venting. You can see if it is venting out the breathers, if not that is the issue.

·
Super Moderator
20,087 Posts
Thanks Thermodyne. The engine power seems fine, so cam timing and leakdown cylinder pressure could still be suspect?
Leak down on a scooter that old can always be an issue. And I doubt the cams are off, but that was what was worked on just before the issue showed up.

Who ever did the work should not have needed to do anything other than pull the upper covers and rocker supports, so the the upper box gaskets should not be the issue.

There is a possibility that he used the wrong breather gaskets, or didn't change them at all. Or worse, used blue goo on the old ones. If you get that far into it, just replace the breather units with the updated parts from Harley. IIRC the PN is 17162-03a. And there is an ORing under the rocker support, make sure they are where they belong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you Don. I should mention that the Harley Davidson Timing Chest service kit 17045-99d was used for parts with the upgraded vent breathers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thermodyne. Thanks, Possible problems with the vent breathers ....

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Just see if you can feel air getting out. If not look further. If the boxes were not off then the gaskets will not be the issue. Those new breathers work well but even those can be installed wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Air getting out of the oil filler? Sure is, blows the cap off...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Maybe something basic.....
If you overfill the oil tank it can blow the tank lid off and oils all over your leg and bike.
I've done that before.

Always check and fill your oil when the bike is hot, on its side stand and idling.
Never cold or you will overfill it every time.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oil checked cold on side stand as I always have. Still pressuring up on my way home at 1/2 quart low..

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2000 Dyna with 30,000mi has been sitting for a year. This off season I took it into a shop to have the Tensioner shoes replaced with "Cycos".
All new timing chest bearings.
I did not have the tech install adjustable push rods, had the rocker boxed removed, installed rocker lockers and retained the stock push rods.
Took the bike out for the first time today and it's blowing the oil cap off and oil all over hell.
Could the tech have overlooked a timing issue?
Could there be a plugged vent from sitting?
What else could it be?
Thanks for any clues.
Frank
Br

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got The bike back today. The tech was up front with me - he screwed up. Got confused between the design of the older umbrella/breathers and the upgrade ones in the HD kit I supplied and installed the new ones upside down. Said it's no excuse. Super apologetic - got the bike in quick even tho it's the busy spring time season - gonna look after my next oil change for me. Glad I live close....
Thanks for everyone's help and input.
Regards, Frank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts