V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell everyone!! 2008 FXDB

So I see using the search that this is somewhat a common occurrence with these 2007-2011 bikes? Or at least those are the most common years I see affected, there could be more. I also hear newer models they redesigned the main shaft so this doesn't happen again.

I'm fairly positive I did this in my own stupidity. Was talking with some company that was over and completely forgot about the reverse thread for just that first split second then I remembered but I am afraid the damage was already done.

Regardless, if I did it or not I'm going to fix it.

Liquid Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting Fluid

Anyhow just like most folks that have had this problem I went ahead and ordered a new clutch hub BUT I was also curious,

Has anyone ever put on of these back on with the broken splines? I'm sure it's not recommended or anything but if someone had to in a pinch could they do it??

I ordered the Drag Specialties Inner clutch hub part # 1132-0698 that replaces OEM part # 37554-06A and I'll be taking it by my local shop to pressed in real quick. Anything else I should know? Yes I do also have the service manuals.

Thanks for reading and stopping by!!

Kind regards and take care!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
This is a fairly common problem in the past. I have purchased several damaged clutch assemblies off ebay just to get the plates. If it was mine I probably would keep running it unless you are doing burnouts or drag racing. just my opinion and everyone has one. Lonslo

·
Registered
1945 HD UL, 1948 HD FL, 1991 HD FXLR, 2007 HD FXDB
82 Posts
Was talking with some company that was over and completely forgot about the reverse thread for just that first split second then I remembered
Out of curiosity, how did this happen? Were you trying to undo the clutch hub nut, by turning it counterclockwise? And maybe using an air impact socket?

I have an '07 FXDB, but haven't needed to get into the primary case just yet...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Out of curiosity, how did this happen? Were you trying to undo the clutch hub nut, by turning it counterclockwise? And maybe using an air impact socket?

Anything worth saying is worth repeating.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
This is a fairly common problem in the past. I have purchased several damaged clutch assemblies off ebay just to get the plates. If it was mine I probably would keep running it unless you are doing burnouts or drag racing. just my opinion and everyone has one. Lonslo
I ran one for a very short time that had three splines broken about a quarter of the length of the hub.
That one is pretty bad. I think you did the right thing replacing it.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I also had this happen to my 5 speed. Not quite as bad. Maybe 6-7 splines, and about the same depth. Good thing that mainshaft is a lot tougher than the hub.

If I ever figured out the cause, I've forgotten during the last 10-12 years.

Nothing else to do but replace it. Short term, I guess you could run it. But I would definitely put that at the top of the to-do list. Ahead of those shiny doodads I had been saving money for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts