V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing my first Big Twin this spring. My 1200C just isn't big enough for 2 people and I am getting married on Friday. Oh, I'm keeping the sporty don't worry,:thumbsup: I love that bike.

I am looking at a '00 Wide Glide. Thing is this, the first or second year of the twin cam right? Are there any differences between years? I know the '05's have smaller valves and different valve seals from '04. But are there any changes from '00 to say, '04? Are there any downsides to a '00 or should I be looking newer?

I just don't want to go into this blind and end up with a bike that I can't do something too just cause I was stupid. I like the Dyna's I just want to make sure that this is the right motor for me. Oh, and I really don't want an '06. I'm looking between '00 - '04.

Sorry for all the questions, but I would appreciate any help I can get.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
:laugh:
Cadiero said:
I am looking at purchasing my first Big Twin this spring. My 1200C just isn't big enough for 2 people and I am getting married on Friday. Oh, I'm keeping the sporty don't worry,:thumbsup: I love that bike.

I am looking at a '00 Wide Glide. Thing is this, the first or second year of the twin cam right? Are there any differences between years? I know the '05's have smaller valves and different valve seals from '04. But are there any changes from '00 to say, '04? Are there any downsides to a '00 or should I be looking newer?

I just don't want to go into this blind and end up with a bike that I can't do something too just cause I was stupid. I like the Dyna's I just want to make sure that this is the right motor for me. Oh, and I really don't want an '06. I'm looking between '00 - '04.

Sorry for all the questions, but I would appreciate any help I can get.
In 02 HD changed to Delphi injection if you want an injected bike. By most
accounts it is better.
If your getting married on Friday are you sure you'll be buying another bike
in the Spring?

Steve, my edit was simply to fix the quote - wyo

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an 04 and if I had it to do again I would buy an 02. By this year they had the upgraded cam bearings and this was the last year for the timken crank bearings. 02 is the best year TC to buy in my opinion

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks bigjon, what is the differnce in cam bearings? Were there problems prior to '02?

Nvsteve, I prefer carb, so Delphi isn't a concern, though thanks for the heads up. Oh, and yeah shouldn't be problem she wants a bigger bike more than I do. I love the sporty, she'll ride the Dyna when we take both bikes.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
In 2003 HD changed from the back-to-back tapered Timken roller bearing to a straight roller. They actually just used a right side (timing) bearing for the left side instead of the tapered roller. Some say it's not as strong. Probably isn't if you are modifying your bike.

You already mentioned the change to smaller valves and valve stems in 2005. In 2006, they made another change to the cylinder heads so that they flow more air.

The Dynas are going off in another direction with a completely different crankcase with hydraulic cam chain tensioners beginning with the 2006 model. They still have cam chain tensioners, just tighten them hydraulically now instead of having a spring. The cam bearings are now plain bearings with all-new crankcases and cam plate to match.

It seems that HD is changing part numbers almost on a yearly basis, much like the big four sport bike builders have done for the past few years. This is in contrast with the prior stable design approach that kept a design for multiple years:

Knucklehead; 1936-1947
Panhead; 1948 - 1965
Shovelhead; 1966 - 1983/4 (titled)
Evolution; 1985 - 1998

One thing this will do is make parts grubbing exceedingly difficult for our children and grandchildren...hahahahah. :)

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
newultraclassic said:
In 2003 HD changed from the back-to-back tapered Timken roller bearing to a straight roller. They actually just used a right side (timing) bearing for the left side instead of the tapered roller. Some say it's not as strong. Probably isn't if you are modifying your bike.

You already mentioned the change to smaller valves and valve stems in 2005. In 2006, they made another change to the cylinder heads so that they flow more air.

The Dynas are going off in another direction with a completely different crankcase with hydraulic cam chain tensioners beginning with the 2006 model. They still have cam chain tensioners, just tighten them hydraulically now instead of having a spring. The cam bearings are now plain bearings with all-new crankcases and cam plate to match.

It seems that HD is changing part numbers almost on a yearly basis, much like the big four sport bike builders have done for the past few years. This is in contrast with the prior stable design approach that kept a design for multiple years:

Knucklehead; 1936-1947
Panhead; 1948 - 1965
Shovelhead; 1966 - 1983/4 (titled)
Evolution; 1985 - 1998

One thing this will do is make parts grubbing exceedingly difficult for our children and grandchildren...hahahahah. :)
It makes it difficult for aftermarket suppliers to continue to retool too, it's gonna drive the price of parts up so the MoCo can either raise their prices of be more competitive with their high prices...but hey we're way too stupid to notice that...

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
nvsteve said:
Why the 05 heads?
The valves are lighter, the behive springs, less valve stem in the port, shorter guides which blocks less of the port. Slightly small valve head for the A/F mixture to get around. Less moving mass. Over all I like the 05 heads.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
springer- said:
The valves are lighter, the behive springs, less valve stem in the port, shorter guides which blocks less of the port. Slightly small valve head for the A/F mixture to get around. Less moving mass. Over all I like the 05 heads.
All except the valve seals???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts