V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it's been nearly 6 years since the induction of the "b" engine. There were a lot of people not too keen on a harley engine with balancers. Now that some time has passed, let's hear from all the owners and hear of any problems, or how many trouble free miles thay have on them.

·
Banned
202 Posts
The "B" engine is only in the Softail line because everything else is rubber mounted.

I think when my engine is dead from normal wear and tear (probably before the 2 year warranty is up), I might swap the "B" motor for an "A" motor.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
FLSTFI-2005 said:
The "B" engine is only in the Softail line because everything else is rubber mounted.

I think when my engine is dead from normal wear and tear (probably before the 2 year warranty is up), I might swap the "B" motor for an "A" motor.
Is an "A" motor the rubber mounted one?

·
Registered
958 Posts
No balancer problems after 60000. Hits redline a little sooner than the A,but thats never been a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Had the need to take the engine apart after 22k miles, no issues with the balancer system, very little wear of the tensioners, bearings as new.
Crank bearing blew up though.......

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
I was concerned with the long chain and tensioner that drives that two counterbalancers. 15k miles without a hint of problem. I haven't read/heard of problems in this area either. Love the engine. The "whine" from the spining counterbalancers just before upshifting is something I could do without, but it's not unbearable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A little over 22000 on mine, bang the rev limiter alot and no problems yet. Much smoooother bike than a rubbermount at idle, and not much different at speed than a rubbermount. The 03 that had the crank bearing blow, isn't that the year that HD switched to the cheaper (non-timken) bearing.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
H-Drider said:
A little over 22000 on mine, bang the rev limiter alot and no problems yet. Much smoooother bike than a rubbermount at idle, and not much different at speed than a rubbermount. The 03 that had the crank bearing blow, isn't that the year that HD switched to the cheaper (non-timken) bearing.
yes, it is....

·
Registered
822 Posts
24,000 miles and the only problem was the compenstator sprocket coming loose. That was taken care of under warranty. B motor is definately smoother at idle than the "A" engine. But the B motor does start to give off some high frequency vibration at speeds over 75 mph in 5th gear. I've ridden A motors at the same speed and they're definatly smoother. But I still love my Softail.

·
Registered
96 Posts

biker77 said:
Okay, it's been nearly 6 years since the induction of the "b" engine. There were a lot of people not too keen on a harley engine with balancers. Now that some time has passed, let's hear from all the owners and hear of any problems, or how many trouble free miles thay have on them.
my '00 has 25k and has been 95" w/.570 gear drives for last 13k, rev limiter set at 6k and hit it alot. no problems

·
Registered
18 Posts
04 FXST
K&N
V&H Short Shots

44,500 mi. Compensator nut (under warranty), just checked the tensioners last weekend, they have another 40,000 (at least) to go.

Doesn't use a drop of oil.

I love The Twinkie.

Hadyomama

·
Iron-Butt Hardcore
212 Posts
My 2002 has over 35K miles and has never had a problem of any kind. At 34K (recently) I did the build you see in my signature and all the internals were in good shape. The cam-chain tensioners were worn (especially the secondary), but nothing note-worthy besides that.

-Fat

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had an '02 Softail for my first Harley. Test rode both a RK and Heritage. Noticed the whine of the 'B' and just decided I could live with out the shake of the 'A'.
Now I have a '05 EG 103 and the 'A' motor is so annoying. Here's what is supposed to be a smooth ridin' crusin' machine. Everytime you back off the gas for a turn or stoplight, the shaking of the motor returning to idle makes the bike feel like you are riding on marbles or sand. Sure, at 2k rpm and above it is smooth, just like the 'B', but it makes the bike feel so loose.

FLHT line would be so much better if a B motor could be mated to the new 6 speed. The shaking has no place on today's cruisers. Balancers have been around for 20 years.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
tallyclassic said:
The shaking has no place on today's cruisers.

Well, you know what they say about opinions... some of us like the shaking of the unbalanced motors at idle. I like the looks of the softails, but would never buy one for this reason.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
since the B motor came out for the 2000 Softails I have not heard one failure due to the balancers or related parts ... seems that any problems that have happened are common to both the A and B motors...

38k on going strong on my B motor and she isnt babied... but I am looking to buy a bagger not so much for the motor but highway riding and I'll use my Springer local (less than 500 mile) stints

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
george248 said:
some of us like the shaking of the unbalanced motors at idle. I like the looks of the softails, but would never buy one for this reason.
I agree with you george...I love the vibes...but what do I know....I've been riding a shovel the last 27 years...just got the FXDXT this year and any smoother than the FXD I'll feel like i'm riding a *** (oops...no offense meant) bike... :(-

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I don't own a TC softail but I've ridden several of them on demo rides...yes, I actualy got a demo on a Harley. They are very smooth at the speeds at which I would be riding one (70 max usually).

There is nothing new regarding balancing shafts. Japanese cars and bikes have had them for years. I think HD did a good job on the "B" motor design.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts