V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2002 Road King Classic also makes a noise @ around 2000rpm and continues in 5th gear at cruising speeds. It can be real noisy at times and not so noisy at other times. What about piston slap? It was mentioned to me that that could be the problem. Does anyone have more information on this? I don't want to ride with the windshield off to cover up the noise and I don't have a radio to turn up loud.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and sorry about not realizing how old the original post was. I'm new to all this and never used a forum before so bare with me. My 02 Road King has around 35000 miles on it and I bought it 1 1/2 yrs ago. I just had the cam chain tensioners replaced in the fall 10. The noise is a metal noise that I thought somewhat sounds like rockers banging or something vibrating against the heads. I have checked everything for tightness and put lok-tight on fastners and what not. Again, the noise starts when I reach a certain RPM (I think around 2000 but don't have a tach) I'm at a loss and thats why I'm checking to see if anyone else has a similar problem. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bubba, thanks for the info. I had the lifters replaced with the cam tensioners. As for the push-rods, I'll check into that. However, I had this noise before service and that was the reason for the service. My mechanic says it might be piston slap. The people that ride next to me tell me it sounds like a sewing machine at crusing speeds...frustrating! I can't afford to trade up at this time so I'm hoping it doesn't blow. Any other suggestions?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.