V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, My name is Dan and I have been lurking on here for a while enjoying things. I sold my good ole 98 Electra Classic and bought a new 01 Road King. The King has better balance with me and the wife both on it and I am supper happy with it. My only question is at @ 2000 rpm I hear a ticking noise coming from the engine. My friends done this super bad and found the cams had to be replaced. Is thid slight ticking normal in the 88's?? I know the ole Evo never made any sound like this. Thanks for you help,I know someone here will know. Dan Smith:confused:

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Oh sorry! Also, did you buy the bike anywhere near a Post Office or other Federal facility?

LOL.. Sorry had to ask

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Depends on where the noise is coming from and the magnitude of the noise.
If the perceived noise diminishes when removing the windshield it is normal, if it can't be heard over a reasonably loud pipe it is a loud one but still normal, if it's any more then that you may have a problem.

2000 rpm is not a good rpm to ride at, it might be OK if you hold it steady there, but if you give it very light throttle input you might have some detonation and generally you would downshift to accelerate from 2000.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I will agree with Hippo, I think the noise you are hearing is detonation. I ride a Road King TC 88 also and have the same problem. When riding at a slow rpm, quickly accelerating, or traveling inclines causes an awfull detonation knock. Mine sounds like the valve springs are coming apart sometimes. Does it tick worse when it is hot? Here in AR i ride in 95 degree weather alot and detonation is a big problem. Try running premium gas if you are not already. Premium gas will not solve a detonation problem but will help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ticking noise

Hi Dan,

My 2001 flht in my opinion sounds like a sewing machine, But I rode a Road King Classic at the york open house this past year and was releived that it also was quite noisy. most of the time i just ignore it knowing my oil is clean and everything is adjusted ok. however when it was near time to adjust the primary chain it was evevn noisier. if you check out other hd forums you will find many posts about the tc88 engine noises.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I will wait for the weather to warm and ride the the windsheid off and see if I hear a diffrence. There proberly is not any problem,just need to get use to the new motor and its sounds. Thanks. Dan

·
Registered
117 Posts
On my FXD the engine noise seems to be louder with the windshield on than off. I think without the windshield I can't hear it for the wind noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2002 Road King Classic also makes a noise @ around 2000rpm and continues in 5th gear at cruising speeds. It can be real noisy at times and not so noisy at other times. What about piston slap? It was mentioned to me that that could be the problem. Does anyone have more information on this? I don't want to ride with the windshield off to cover up the noise and I don't have a radio to turn up loud.

·
Registered
953 Posts
This post is pretty old to expect any new info. How many miles on the bike, has it had any work done or is it stock? Not real specific on what type of noise, metallic or otherwise. But I would change oil and look for little orange particles, if you see a lot of them you probably need to replace the cam chain tensioners. You may want to cut the oil filter and look for debris too. Look for simple stuff too, loose exhaust etc.....

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
Lmao

:redrolf:

Uh, guys, if the original poster is still riding around on that bike, and the ticking is still there, I think it's a safe bet that the ticking noise is not a problem :hystria:

Kudos to HarDav02 for finding and replying to a 9 year old post.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
He now has a 2005 Ultra, it is safe to say it's not the same bike any more.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yep, I was replying more to HarDav02, tried to gently point out to him that it was an old post.
Should have mentioned his post was the one I was responding to.
As usual no good deed goes unpunished...... :beer:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and sorry about not realizing how old the original post was. I'm new to all this and never used a forum before so bare with me. My 02 Road King has around 35000 miles on it and I bought it 1 1/2 yrs ago. I just had the cam chain tensioners replaced in the fall 10. The noise is a metal noise that I thought somewhat sounds like rockers banging or something vibrating against the heads. I have checked everything for tightness and put lok-tight on fastners and what not. Again, the noise starts when I reach a certain RPM (I think around 2000 but don't have a tach) I'm at a loss and thats why I'm checking to see if anyone else has a similar problem. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
953 Posts
No problem, your not the 1st person to do it.:)
Does it have adjustable pushrods? Sometimes those will contact the pushrod tube and make the noise you describe.
You may want to take it back to the shop that did the work.
It's also possible you may have a lifter that is bleeding down, usually they will be noisy at idle too.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
:redrolf:

Uh, guys, if the original poster is still riding around on that bike, and the ticking is still there, I think it's a safe bet that the ticking noise is not a problem :hystria:

Kudos to HarDav02 for finding and replying to a 9 year old post.
I noticed this yesterday as well. But I think he should get Kudos for doing a little research before submitting a new thread.

I'm not an expert, but I am curious why it only happens in 5th gear. Wouldn't engine issues also show up in other gears at the same RPM and strain?

rkc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bubba, thanks for the info. I had the lifters replaced with the cam tensioners. As for the push-rods, I'll check into that. However, I had this noise before service and that was the reason for the service. My mechanic says it might be piston slap. The people that ride next to me tell me it sounds like a sewing machine at crusing speeds...frustrating! I can't afford to trade up at this time so I'm hoping it doesn't blow. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bubba, thanks for the info. I had the lifters replaced with the cam tensioners. As for the push-rods, I'll check into that. However, I had this noise before service and that was the reason for the service. My mechanic says it might be piston slap. The people that ride next to me tell me it sounds like a sewing machine at crusing speeds...frustrating! I can't afford to trade up at this time so I'm hoping it doesn't blow. Any other suggestions?
Having had piston slap, I doubt it is piston slap. Piston noise is loud and unmistakable. If it is just a "ticking" sound, it more than likely is something in the valve train. Could be a miss-adjusted pushrod--easy to do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts