V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on this site I’ve looked everywhere all over the internet to find an answer or solution. So here is the problem the bike has the proper amount of oil in it. I then proceed to start the bike and it does so within 3 to 5 seconds but then once running (at an idle) it dumps oil from out behind the air filter. No it is not a small or slight leak it literally drains the entire oil tank within about 5 minutes of idling. I’m not sure what to do or what could be causing the problem. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I’m not being detailed enough if you need more info just ask. And I’ll do my best to answer the bike is a 2002 Harley Davidson Night-Train carbureted model IT IS NOT the fuel injected model. I’d bring it to the dealership but when I brought it there for an oil change they charged me for the oil change but didn’t even do it I also paid for a bike detail and all the did was spray it off with a hose for $220 total including the oil change and detailing the bike

·
not sober all the time
5,477 Posts
Did this just start suddenly or is this something that's gradually gotten worse? Was there anything done just prior to the onset? How many miles on it? Has a compression and/or leak down test been done? Have the umbrella seals ever been replaced? Is the oil contaminated with fuel? Does the oil have a strong gasoline odor?

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Use some heat on the little pipe plug in the bottom of the crank case, and then take it out. Catch and measure the oil that runs out.

More than 6 oz, and you'll bee needing to have a look at where it came from. Bad oil pump is the usual issue on an 88. But can also be from excessive crank wobble opening the clearance up on the cam plate.

If there is less than that, next up would be a leakage test on the jugs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did this just start suddenly or is this something that's gradually gotten worse? Was there anything done just prior to the onset? How many miles on it? Has a compression and/or leak down test been done? Have the umbrella seals ever been replaced? Is the oil contaminated with fuel? Does the oil have a strong gasoline odor?
Just started nothing done to Cause the issues that I know of no compression test has been done recently and no the umbrella seals haven’t been replaced yet I have them an am going to install them come spring no gas smell in the oil . And it has 35,000 miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use some heat on the little pipe plug in the bottom of the crank case, and then take it out. Catch and measure the oil that runs out.

More than 6 oz, and you'll bee needing to have a look at where it came from. Bad oil pump is the usual issue on an 88. But can also be from excessive crank wobble opening the clearance up on the cam plate.

Ok thank you for the suggestion I’ll give it a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not long ago there was an almost identical thread going,,, have a look through the search function...
Like I said in the post I searched and searched and couldn’t find anything real sting to my issue if it seems similar it’s not on the twin cam 88 it’s on the newer fuel injected models. So if you don’t wanna help or have an actual suggestion please don’t comment.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
The umbrella seals are one way valves, easy to check with some cobbled up fittings and a piece of hose. Air comes out not back in. Try it first. Then move on to next steps.

·
not sober all the time
5,477 Posts
Like I said in the post I searched and searched and couldn’t find anything real sting to my issue if it seems similar it’s not on the twin cam 88 it’s on the newer fuel injected models. So if you don’t wanna help or have an actual suggestion please don’t comment.
tall terry isn't trying to be an ass. He helps a lot of folks around here and he knows his chit. So I wouldn't go pissin off one of the most helpful guys around here. That won't get you very far.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Umbrella valves flow out and restrict in, so they are not going to cause a big gush of oil out of the breather. And when they do piss oil, its usually a long run at slab speed that causes it, as opposed to puking it out at start up like an Evo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post on this site I’ve looked everywhere all over the internet to find an answer or solution. So here is the problem the bike has the proper amount of oil in it. I then proceed to start the bike and it does so within 3 to 5 seconds but then once running (at an idle) it dumps oil from out behind the air filter. No it is not a small or slight leak it literally drains the entire oil tank within about 5 minutes of idling. I’m not sure what to do or what could be causing the problem. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I’m not being detailed enough if you need more info just ask. And I’ll do my best to answer the bike is a 2002 Harley Davidson Night-Train carbureted model IT IS NOT the fuel injected model. I’d bring it to the dealership but when I brought it there for an oil change they charged me for the oil change but didn’t even do it I also paid for a bike detail and all the did was spray it off with a hose for $220 total including the oil change and detailing the bike
Had the same thing happen on my 2000 softail deuce with the 88B motor, oil would pour out of the air cleaner.
Problem was a cracked piston ring, causing the blow by. Had to rebuild the whole top end of the engine, ran great after that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

[/QUOTE
Had the same thing happen on my 2000 softail deuce with the 88B motor, oil would pour out of the air cleaner.
Problem was a cracked piston ring, causing the blow by. Had to rebuild the whole top end of the engine, ran great after that.
Thanks for all the input I’m planning on doing a rebuild cause I did a compression test today I’ve been putting it off because I just feared that it was gonna fail and sure as **** I have a dead cylinder but there is a good thing that comes with it since I was gonna go for
tall terry isn't trying to be an ass. He helps a lot of folks around here and he knows his chit. So I wouldn't go pissin off one of the most helpful guys around here. That won't get you very far.
Sorry wasn’t trying to be rude as well just kinda had a **** day and wasn’t in the best mood cause of the bike situation I do apologize.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
I recommended the search,,, as,, I, sometimes grow weary of rewriting what I have remarked on several times...
since the thread I referred was so recient,, it would have been relatively easy to locate and read it..
if I am being a smarta$$ it will be undeniably recognizable..

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Blowby and or crankcase breathing issues prevent the oil separation / drainback properly in the breather valves. If the motor is sumping it will be dead obvious by lack of power, struggling to rev, and excessive heat. By the way high volume oil pumps exaggerate the issue, high volume to the top end by any cause exaggerates the issue as well.

·
not sober all the time
5,477 Posts
Thanks for all the input I’m planning on doing a rebuild cause I did a compression test today I’ve been putting it off because I just feared that it was gonna fail and sure as **** I have a dead cylinder but there is a good thing that comes with it since I was gonna go for
I guess you mean the compression is low in the "dead" cylinder. How dead is it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts