V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
1,468 Posts
Thanks for you input guys. Great information here!! Probably spend the money for the special tools and check the shoes every once in a while. Someone mentioned Cycogaskets. Do they sell quality stuff equal to James Gaskets. Their top and bottom kit seems fairly cheap.
CYCO Gaskets are good quality and make different types. I've not encountered any problems with them. If you've got the time to wait a few days for them to ship.

·
Banned
619 Posts
You are more dedicated than me. I M not changing oil for condensation but just going to ride soon. Maybe I am negligent.

I try to avoid short rides, especially fall and spring.

But I do wonder know which is worse, with respect to drying out seals. Granted engines are more expensive. But how long does do you need to run for both

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
1,468 Posts
You are more dedicated than me. I M not changing oil for condensation but just going to ride soon. Maybe I am negligent.

I try to avoid short rides, especially fall and spring.

But I do wonder know which is worse, with respect to drying out seals. Granted engines are more expensive. But how long does do you need to run for both
Never had an issue with seals or gaskets in that respect. I had bikes sit in storage for a year and no problems.

·
Banned
619 Posts
Never had an issue with seals or gaskets in that respect. I had bikes sit in storage for a year and no problems.
Like I said, I had with a truck, that sat all summer. Had a couple issues two fix, and I had another truck. Started blowing gas and sucking coolant when I started it.

We, or atleast I do, worry more about seals drying in a car, than a bike. Maybe it is more the type of gasket used.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Like I said, I had with a truck, that sat all summer. Had a couple issues two fix, and I had another truck. Started blowing gas and sucking coolant when I started it.

We, or atleast I do, worry more about seals drying in a car, than a bike. Maybe it is more the type of gasket used.
Sound like it had issues before summer 3 months wont harm seals etc if Stored

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I‘ve got the SE stuff and am doing the upgrade. I expect I’d be ok to leave it all alone given my riding style, but I’m not one to go somewhere with a known potential catastrophic failure point left untouched. The MoCo has a kit to fix it for for a reason, and this is from a Company not exactly known for issuing kits to fix known design concerns with their products.
Standing on the side of the road waiting for a gowtruck with a grenade motor from a simple to fix potential problem is a really shitty way to spend a day.
A motor is an expensive repair. So is a thousand mile ride back in a truck when added to the last minute plane ticket home.
I‘ll take the day and do it. $700 bucks is $700 bucks, but it beats dropping 12K+ on a new motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can replace just the plastic pads with some quality after market pieces for a few bucks and be good for a while.

Sent from here.
I have installed the Cyco shoes on several twin cam engines and have had great luck using them and no premature failures. I do generally inspect them around 25 to 30,000 miles. Hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the cam plate

21 - 32 of 32 Posts