V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Heritage Softail with a stock drive train. In third gear and going 65mph what would my tach be reading if I had one? Thanks, Fred

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So why are you asking such a specific question about an exact speed and third gear? What would you do with the answer?
I use 65mph in third as a 'for instance'. The engine is whining like it's close to redline but what are the actual rpms? Maybe it's got a lot left. Maybe it don't. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
The rev limiter will let you know... you are pretty close {5300} @ 65, unless the ignition has been changed.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
gotta have the cell phone if you wind it up like that...but it should sputter from the limiter on a normal bike past 5500?...go up till it sputters or blows...have fun

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have a 2004 Heritage Softail with a stock drive train. In third gear and going 65mph what would my tach be reading if I had one? Thanks, Fred
you're beating the pi$$ out of that 88. kick the poor bastage up a couple gears.

·
Registered
17,770 Posts
It's always fun When it get's blown.
Cell phones are what I still call a Yuppie Toolbox.
Or a fuel injection tool box.

Sent from here.

Reactions: Brand'd

·
Registered
2005 117” FLHTCUI, -2021 107” FLHC
160 Posts
A case of too much information. Now you know why most Harleys don't have a tach.

Besides, if you are spending so much attention on the tach, that means you're neglecting your cell phone.
😂😂😂😂😂

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,491 Posts
I feel like I must be missing something here. WTF are you doing riding around at 65 in third gear? Try fourth or maybe even fifth once in a while. You'll be amazed at how much that will drop the rpm.

Reactions: DynaLow05

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Measure the total roll out on the tire. Divide that into 5280 feet to see how many times the tire has to complete a roll per mile. Then multiply that by 4.953 for third gear. Without actually
doing the math, I'll tell you it a little less than 4000 rpm at 60 mph or 1 mile per minute.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
No twin cam B motor 88 is going to blow itself up because of rpm when you hold it in a lower gear. It might blow from something else failing, but not from rpm. If its stock, third gear is prolly the highest gear where it can actually hit the rev limiter, running on flat ground.

I would have thought that there would have been some old racers on here who almost knew those mph/tire diameter calculations from memory. The only tricky part of this is third gear. But seeing as the MoCo saw fit to publish final drive ratios per gear on those scooters, finding that was easy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts