V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put these cams in,less then a month and they sound like my hole valve train is about to come apart. Not all the time, just at high rev's.I like the power they give me,right where i want it.But I'm afraid something may give out on me.Don't have alot of $$,but would be cheaper to buy different cams then blow something in my motor.Need HELP.Should I worry about it,cause woods cams are noise???? What other cams would give me that same power but not sound that bad? 02 EG.I like to ride hard most of the time.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm sorry your having problems. Woods cams can be a bit more difficult to set-up because of the steep ramps. That being said, I think your using a second hand set of parts you got off another forum member and its hard to know what is the problem here.

I'm fairly certain that someone more knowledgeable will answer here soon.

-Tutt

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
The rate of change of those cam is aggressive, you may want to try the chain of tricks before dumping them though. Try straight wt dino oil, 50 or 60. If this makes a difference your onto something.Next how many miles on your lifters? Then there are the valve springs. If it were me I'd get a set of S&S 510's, Andrews 37's, or better yet a set of R&R525's.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
No offense, but a little study before you put parts in your bike and you would not be asking this question. I can't recall ever adding something to my bike and getting UN-expected results.
Yes I did put bigger cams in my bike and yes the valve train did get noisier and yes I did search to quiet it down. But I new going in that it would be there.

From the reading I have done in the past I understand woods cams are noisy, it is the geometry of the cam

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did do the research on this cam.Some say no noise,others say noisy.Roll of the dice. I was a little low on oil,so topped it of and will try it again.Lifters are new.Getting ready to change oil,will try strait 50wt I guess.I should have went with my first choice of cams dave mackie 510.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Guys, does the fact its happening mostly at high rpm mean anything? -Tutt

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Yes,I used adjustable pushrods.Are you thinking I need to readjust them?
How deep did you set them into the lifter? how many miles on the lifter and what make are they??

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
Had a Friend put a set of .575 cams (Brand to remain anonymous) in his 2010 stock Dyna. 6 mo later he pulled them to go to bigger (go figure) and gave them to me to sell on steal bay. When I opened the box to take picks, you could see were the lifter was coming off the cam on the back side. Needless to say the cams were only good for paperweights. The hard facing had been beaten off the cam were the lifter came back in contact with the lobe. So...I have come to the conclusion that just because the mo co put stock springs that enable more lift (beehive) does not nessarlly mean that they are suited for a higher lift (non stock) cam. I will say that my Friend would hit the rev limit all the time..:spank:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Indy said the cams looked in good shape.It sounded better today.I was a little low on oil,so added some but at 3000 rpm there is this ticking.Sound's like its coming from my rocker box covers.Going on a long ride with my buddy's tomorrow,will really test those cams out.Would be hard to give up that power of the tw6 but don't want something to give out.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That ticking noise sounds quite normal or within the range of normal. My S&S 585 cams with beehive springs tick some too. Your probably just fine. -Tutt

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
2nd, I compared your Woods TW-6 cam to mine S&S 585 cam with the Big Boys Twin Cam Comparator and although I'm running more peak lift, your actually running more lift at TDC on the intake and almost as much on the exhaust. I'm thinking its just an aggressive ramp for the amount of lift you have (you have narrower lobe centers on both the intake and exhaust). -Tutt

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CowboyTutt,thanks for your help and all the research you do.Don't know if I made the right choice in cams.I knew they might be noisy.Don't really like all that noise.But,will see how it does tomorrow.I could sell the tw6's and the 211 and get something else.But I won't give up that easy.( cause the wife told me not to change cams).

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
What pushrods did you use? If they are 7/16 adjustables, I would bet they are rubbing. It does sound like a tick at 3000 rpm. Mine does they same thing. I'm gonna order a set of PR from GMR. I'm just so busy working on everyone else's sh!t I don't have much time for mine.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I put in Woods TW-555 cams...They are a little noisey....But the power they make, over powers the decission to change them...I just turn up the music

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used SE pushrods.I didn't do the work,had a Indy do it.And like streetglidekirk said,it would be hard to switch out these cams,because of the power they put out.So I might also try strait 50wt oil.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I use SE adjustables with "B" lifters. I have the pushrods sunk into the lifter preload .150" and my 6H's sound fine. Nothing alarming. I use good old 20-50 synthetic. If it continues, check your pushrod adjustment.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I use SE adjustables with "B" lifters. I have the pushrods sunk into the lifter preload .150" and my 6H's sound fine. Nothing alarming. I use good old 20-50 synthetic. If it continues, check your pushrod adjustment.
yup I usually have mine at .140 or .150

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, I will ask what my indy what my pushrods are set at.I took it on a ride today,in the hills,power is there on demand.Unlike the 211's,not needing to downshift as often.I will stick with it and try to live with the noise.For now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts