V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
AXTELLERATOR
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having put in S&S gear drive with Woods tw-6hg and Delkron Cam plate. The machine shop (I've used this shop for 20+ years) says the backlash was .005 and the MAX should be .002. They ordered the oversize gears and there's only one size and it's .0002 oversize. Anybody else have problems with Delkron cam plates?

2002 flhtcui
95"
tw6hg
s+s reed
power commander usb
delkron cam plate
SE Performance heads(modified)
roller rockers
SE rocker support plate
24 tooth compensating sprkt
sampson 2 into 2

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Yep I hear it is a common problem with the Delcron plates. Mine was that way also. I have not replaced the pinion gear with the larger one yet, so my motor ticks but it does not hurt anything, only makes noise. Too much whine is what hurts things. My cam gears were fine, only the pinion on mine requres replacment.
I am going to do a BB so when I have the pipes off, I will put in the larger gear, but S&S says no harm with a little lose so I left it at this time. Been 15k miles with no issues so far exceppt a tick at 2k rpm and at idle.
Get the larger gear, S&S should take back the other gear if it is like new condition.
I did a cam for a friend and his Delcron plate was good with the standard gear, so I am running 50/50 on my luck with them.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with the standard cam plate. It generally will work just fine. If I were you, I'd do what everybody else does with their spare parts when they won't fit, put it on eBay. :)

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Common issue with that plate, there are other plates that do not have this issue. But unless you are over 190 on the spring psi seated your stock cam plate will work just fine

·
AXTELLERATOR
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HDWRENCH said:
Common issue with that plate, there are other plates that do not have this issue. But unless you are over 190 on the spring psi seated your stock cam plate will work just fine
HDWrench, Thanks for the info. I spoke to the shop today and the oversize gears wouldn't bring it within specs , so they swapped to a plate made by Fulcrum. I'm not familiar with this company, but I trust their decision. The reason I'm changing the both the cam plate and the rocker support plate instead of the using stock plate (installed valve springs are 170# with valve closed) is because I figured it's like buying extra insurance. I probably don't need it ,but I just feel better with it.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
relxn88 said:
HDWrench, Thanks for the info. I spoke to the shop today and the oversize gears wouldn't bring it within specs , so they swapped to a plate made by Fulcrum. I'm not familiar with this company, but I trust their decision. The reason I'm changing the both the cam plate and the rocker support plate instead of the using stock plate (installed valve springs are 170# with valve closed) is because I figured it's like buying extra insurance. I probably don't need it ,but I just feel better with it.
You have made a MOST EXCELLENT choice on the forged rocker supports with the TW6. I know as I was lucky enough to shatter my front rocker support with this cam. You are indeed giving yourself some insurance for a little less then 300.00 bucks.:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
My Delkron was bad also. Since I had a Feuling oil pump I went with Feulings camplate (must use feuling oil pump with their plate). Happy camper now.

·
Do'in the chicken dance
3,629 Posts
HDWRENCH said:

Is the stock cam plate good with the springs that come on the cnc htcc heads they have 195 on the seat? and 505 at .650 lift??and if not what other cam plate besides the delkron is avalible I did not have this issue with my 124 [backlash] but am still in the process of building the 113
Thanks

·
AXTELLERATOR
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LAF said:
You have made a MOST EXCELLENT choice on the forged rocker supports with the TW6. I know as I was lucky enough to shatter my front rocker support with this cam. You are indeed giving yourself some insurance for a little less then 300.00 bucks.:D
LAF -- Thanks for the info. Your build seems very similiar to mine, except for 72cc heads and 3.28 final gear(24 tooth compensating sprkt) instead of your 3.37. Have you had it dyno'd and what were the final results. They're still putting mine together. Have you ever heard of Fulcrum cam plates?:thanks:

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
relxn88 said:
LAF -- Thanks for the info. Your build seems very similiar to mine, except for 72cc heads and 3.28 final gear(24 tooth compensating sprkt) instead of your 3.37. Have you had it don't and what were the final results. They're still putting mine together. Have you ever heard of Fulcrum cam plates?:thanks:
Never heard of the fulcrum plate but I don't get around too much. Sounds like your shop has you covered though as they are addressing pinion run out and have a solution to it for you. TC do seem from the accounts I have read a larger or sloppier pinion run out right from factory.

As for a dyno I had a very dismal dyno when I was still learning and fighting to get the TCFI to run with my build and will have another after I get these other parts in and break them into the build. I do know the TW6 will yank your arms out of the socket if you get too bold to quickly.

Not everyone will agree on "insurance" money being spent on the likes of forged support plates, and forged cam plates, Fueling pump and such, but
I learned my lesson and although those items add cost to the build it is well spent money when you start into the realm of 10.5 compression and TW6 cams which are aggressive on the TC.

Chrome don't get you home so my money is always into the improvement and longevity of the motor, suspension, and rider comfort. Don't need the bling myself.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I have used the plate it is made by motor company and they offer cam plates and rocker supports used both with no problems. I just got feuling as a vendor and I was suprised to find out that for their cam plate you HAVE to use there pump. BUT they are extremely well built.

When you get over 185 seated spring psi you start to flex the plate more than it should be stressed, . Many times nothing happens as cast rocker supports are used also so everything gives a little and nothing gets too out of wack( that is a tech term there "wack") but once you hold everything solid somthing has to give, what ever it is. So too keep a happy valve train I would use a new rocker plate and cam plate if you are over 185+ seated psi on the spring pack.

·
AXTELLERATOR
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HDWRENCH said:
I have used the plate it is made by motor company and they offer cam plates and rocker supports used both with no problems. I just got feuling as a vendor and I was suprised to find out that for their cam plate you HAVE to use there pump. BUT they are extremely well built.

When you get over 185 seated spring psi you start to flex the plate more than it should be stressed, . Many times nothing happens as cast rocker supports are used also so everything gives a little and nothing gets too out of wack( that is a tech term there "wack") but once you hold everything solid somthing has to give, what ever it is. So too keep a happy valve train I would use a new rocker plate and cam plate if you are over 185+ seated psi on the spring pack.
HDWRENCH - Thanks for the reply on the Fulcrum cam plate. I also have installed a S&S reed valve and the tech at S&S told me there reed valve creates anomalies with feuling oil pumps. That being backpressure at higher RPM's or sustained Rpm's causing loss of power. I'm only repeating what S&S told me and I can't verify anything, but to stay safe (I have stock feul pump)the shop stayed away from feuling.
I also have S.E. H/C forged pistons (10.5). My purpose in this build was to try and get low end torque. I ride here in New England and spend 90% of my time on pot-hole riddled back roads in the 40-60mph range. Being a little older and lazy, I'm hoping with the final drive change to 3.28 (24 tooth compensating sprkt) and cam change (I had the same set-up with S.E.257 chain cams) that I'd be able to stay in 5th gear without having to shift or lug the engine. Thanks for the info!:thanks:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I am not a fan of the S&S reed valve I have pulled to many out for the smae reasons and not with after market pumps either. Way too many sumping issues, puking oil and so on. But if you do some searching you will find this is not from just me but others have had issue's with it as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
relxn88 said:
I believe you mean vulcan: Here is the Company web page: http://vulcanworks.net/catalog/Twin-Cam-88-p-1-c-7.html

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
relxn88 said:
I'm having put in S&S gear drive with Woods tw-6hg and Delkron Cam plate. The machine shop (I've used this shop for 20+ years) says the backlash was .005 and the MAX should be .002. They ordered the oversize gears and there's only one size and it's .0002 oversize. Anybody else have problems with Delkron cam plates?

2002 flhtcui
95"
tw6hg
s+s reed
power commander usb
delkron cam plate
SE Performance heads(modified)
roller rockers
SE rocker support plate
24 tooth compensating sprkt
sampson 2 into 2
I have the Delkron Camplate in my motor and have no problem with lash. My friend is running an Andrews TW 37G gear drive cam with S&S gear drive kit and he has a lash problem. Where can we get the oversize pinion gear to see if we can correct this. Otherwisw the Vulcam plate looks like an option. :hmmm: T.I.A. :confused:

·
Registered
136 Posts
RoadKingCurley said:
I have the Delkron Camplate in my motor and have no problem with lash. My friend is running an Andrews TW 37G gear drive cam with S&S gear drive kit and he has a lash problem. Where can we get the oversize pinion gear to see if we can correct this. Otherwisw the Vulcam plate looks like an option. :hmmm: T.I.A. :confused:
HDWrench has them I believe. Also Bob Woods has them. I believe Bob Woods has two over sized and two undersized gears.

With my Delkron I had bad gear bind on have the rotation. Tried one smaller gear and had way to much gear lash on half the measurements. (bad plate).

If your friend uses a feuling oil pump get their cam plate. Made to work with their pump. Comes with bearings & bearing retainer plate etc. I paid $267.00 for mine plus $16.00 shipping.

HD Wrench now sells them I believe.

·
AXTELLERATOR
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kgoose said:
I believe you mean vulcan: Here is the Company web page: http://vulcanworks.net/catalog/Twin-Cam-88-p-1-c-7.html
kgoose - Thanks for setting me straight. That's what happens when your old and deaf in one ear. I completely misheard what the shop told me they were using for a cam plate. It does come in handy when I turn that ear towards my wife talking. :thanks:

·
Registered
136 Posts
relxn88 said:
kgoose - Thanks for setting me straight. That's what happens when your old and deaf in one ear. I completely misheard what the shop told me they were using for a cam plate. It does come in handy when I turn that ear towards my wife talking. :thanks:
Right there with you.

I do not have any experience with Vulcan but I have not seen any complaints regarding their products on the forums.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
kgoose said:
HDWrench has them I believe. Also Bob Woods has them. I believe Bob Woods has two over sized and two undersized gears.

With my Delkron I had bad gear bind on have the rotation. Tried one smaller gear and had way to much gear lash on half the measurements. (bad plate).

If your friend uses a feuling oil pump get their cam plate. Made to work with their pump. Comes with bearings & bearing retainer plate etc. I paid $267.00 for mine plus $16.00 shipping.

HD Wrench now sells them I believe.
I forgot to mention that he is using a stock camplate. We tried both his and my stock camplates and the lash was still exsessive. He'd like to try the oversize pinion gear before shelling out the money on a Delkron, Fueling or Vulcan plate. If anyone can supply a website it would be appreciated!! T.I.A.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
136 Posts
RoadKingCurley said:
I forgot to mention that he is using a stock camplate. We tried both his and my stock camplates and the lash was still exsessive. He'd like to try the oversize pinion gear before shelling out the money on a Delkron, Fueling or Vulcan plate. If anyone can supply a website it would be appreciated!! T.I.A.:thumbsup:
Here is Bob Woods Web Page (http://www.woodcarbs.com). You will need to call him. His number is on the Web page.

I am assuming you have measured the internal cam gears to make sure they are fine. If not the oversized pinion will help but not get ride of all the noise. (what happened to me).

I am pretty sure Bobby makes two oversized pinion gears.

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts