V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am installing my new TW-5G cams and have found that they are hitting the case in the back. Looks like by about .020 if that. Man the SE 211's that I had in there just cleared. I am not in panic mode or anything and feel pretty confident I can grind out what I need to. I was just wondering with all of the experience on the site that maybe there could be a few pointers I might not think of. I was thinking of dealing with it kinda like the dentist does when they mask off your whole mouth except the tooth they are going to work on.
My main concern is keeping metal dust out of the other components.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
Hey all. I am installing my new TW-5G cams and have found that they are hitting the case in the back. Looks like by about .020 if that. Man the SE 211's that I had in there just cleared. I am not in panic mode or anything and feel pretty confident I can grind out what I need to. I was just wondering with all of the experience on the site that maybe there could be a few pointers I might not think of. I was thinking of dealing with it kinda like the dentist does when they mask off your whole mouth except the tooth they are going to work on.
My main concern is keeping metal dust out of the other components.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
You have to make sure you don't get filings into the bearings or oil passages. I clean the complete cam chest out with brake clean and tape everything up but the area to be cut. Give your self .030 clearance from the lobe to the case for engine expansion.
Here is a picture to see what I mean.
Good luck

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS thought I might here from you and the picture is a real bonus. Kinda looks like my mouth at the dentist. Thanks again !!!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
THANKS thought I might here from you and the picture is a real bonus. Kinda looks like my mouth at the dentist. Thanks again !!!:thumbsup:
I took those pictures JUST for you!!!
Glad to be of service.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
hdmd88 said:
You have to make sure you don't get filings into the bearings or oil passages. I clean the complete cam chest out with brake clean and tape everything up but the area to be cut. Give your self .030 clearance from the lobe to the case for engine expansion.
Good luck
Hey Doc I see you got that darn picture attachment thing down, Very Cool.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Cliff said:
Doc,

What's that orange cap or cover over the bearing? Thanks for the pics!

Cliff:clap:
Its a plastic plug that comes in a shipping tube....I trimmed a hole in it to slide over the pinion shaft and it seals the bearing perfectly.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
LAF said:
Hey Doc I see you got that darn picture attachment thing down, Very Cool.
Yes LAF it has been a Blessing...now if I can get them as big as your pictures I would never stop, you might even get a pic of me in a ''G'' string out by the pool.......:roflback:

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
hdmd88 said:
you might even get a pic of me in a ''G'' string out by the pool.......:roflback:
Doc, thanks for the education but maybe we should stick to the pics of the bikes or if you must at least pics of scantily clad young women ok? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hdmd88 said:
Good luck
Well mine didnt come out as nice as Doc's but I think it will work.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Hey Doc, since you got the pic thing down, how about a compromise. We'll continue to look at cam clearancing photos, BUT....... being done by nekked women!! Make the education part a little more funner to look at! :brows:

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
GRock said:
Hey Doc, since you got the pic thing down, how about a compromise. We'll continue to look at cam clearancing photos, BUT....... being done by nekked women!! Make the education part a little more funner to look at! :brows:
Ok ok ok....Grandma is coming for a visit, I'll see if she will pose...:huh:

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
What was your tool of choice for the grinding? Also, can you show some pics of the cams installed with the plate off? Just curious. The pics are great and the information you two posted is exceptional. thanks:

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
trackstar55 said:
What was your tool of choice for the grinding? Also, can you show some pics of the cams installed with the plate off? Just curious. The pics are great and the information you two posted is exceptional. thanks:
I used a die grinder with a aluminum burr.
Sorry I didn't take a picture with just the cams in the bearings without the cam plate. The cams in the plate is the only way to get an accurate reading or feel if the cams clear....some times the lifter bore has to be cut also an th cam plate supports the cams so that can be seen.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Yes LAF it has been a Blessing...now if I can get them as big as your pictures I would never stop, you might even get a pic of me in a ''G'' string out by the pool.......:roflback:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA#@SasF#

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LAF said:
Die grinder worked for us.

Nice grinding job wish mine came out that clean. If I had a different cutter I am sure I could have done a cleaner cut.
I have added a picture of the cams on the plate (TW-5G ) with the SE-211 cam next to it. We all see the number associated with the cam profiles but it is always interesting to see the cams side by side. You can clearly see the shorter duration of the TW-5G which also has more lift. The SE-211 is wide and fat longer duration, shorter and less lift. If I got it right that is why the TW-5G will produce more torque on the lower end. What do you think Doc can you elaborate on that ? Cant wait to get it on the dyno and see how it all works out with the rest of my combo

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Yes the TW5 with the higher lift will breath quicker and get more air in the combustion chamber. Timing has a lot to do with the cams performance but your correct in what you said.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hdmd88 said:
Yes the TW5 with the higher lift will breath quicker and get more air in the combustion chamber. Timing has a lot to do with the cams performance but your correct in what you said.
Still learning and know just enought to be dangerous
:wacko:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts