V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Guitar Dude
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, I got a set of Harley bullet turn signals, but I only installed the rear ones (I left the front ones stock). I spliced and soldered the wires being careful to match purple wire to purple and black to black. I was wondering if just installing the two rear bullets, and not the front, is the reason the signals won't work. Any ideas? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Checked the fuse and battery connections?
 

·
Pimp Daddy
Joined
·
386 Posts
Do they light up right now and not flash? Do they flash very quickly? And definetely check the wiring.
 

·
Guitar Dude
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fronts light up, the rears don't light at all, none of them blink. The green arrow idiot lights don't blink either

I was so careful to match purple wire and black wires but I'll have to recheck.

Thanks, appreciate the reply!
 

·
Pimp Daddy
Joined
·
386 Posts
Then the fuse is good. The fuse is for all the turn signals and not just half. Unless the front is lighting up because of the running function. Do they go full bright when the turn signal is applied. If not then it probably is the fuse, usually if the wiring is bad the lights flash very quickly but not no lighting at all.
 

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
Joined
·
3,291 Posts
Player said:
Fellas, I got a set of Harley bullet turn signals, but I only installed the rear ones (I left the front ones stock). I spliced and soldered the wires being careful to match purple wire to purple and black to black. I was wondering if just installing the two rear bullets, and not the front, is the reason the signals won't work. Any ideas? Thanks!
Guess I have a dumb question Player...did you install the right ones on the rear? The ones with the two element bulb? If they stay on but don't flash that would indicate to me that the bulbs are burned out or you don't have the two element bulb in there. I installed the bullett turn signals on my '96 LowRider and nearly screwed up by putting the fronts on the rear.

Your electrical system doesn't care what the outside of the turn signal looks like just that the bulb socket inside is correct

Just had another thought. You said you connected the purple and the black. The two element turn signals have a purple, blue and black.

o~\o
 

·
Guitar Dude
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a dumb question at all, I appreciate the input.

I put the bullet lights in the rear that have only two wires to connect, purple and black, the lights with three wires to connect go in front, right? The two element bulbs are up front. It has to be because there are only two wires to connect on each light, in the rear.

Thanks, still lost though.:hystria:
 

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
Joined
·
3,291 Posts
Player said:
Not a dumb question at all, I appreciate the input.

I put the bullet lights in the rear that have only two wires to connect, purple and black, the lights with three wires to connect go in front, right? The two element bulbs are up front. It has to be because there are only two wires to connect on each light, in the rear.

Thanks, still lost though.:hystria:
You're right. I put two element all the way around so I could have brake lights and turns signals on the rear. Sorry!!! for the confussion.

If you have connected the correctly they should work. I'm scratch'n MY head now trying to remember that far back. Am going to wait until I get home tonight to scratch it some more.

Again sorry!!

o~\o
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,217 Posts
It sounds like you lost the ground in the rear. Got a VOM? Check to make sure you have voltage first by placing red probe inside socket just ground the black VOM probe to the fender strut bolt. That should get you started! I had a friend that pulled a bit too hard on his wiring and actually pulled two pins almost out of the socket way up under the seat!
 

·
Guitar Dude
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Texan said:
You're right. I put two element all the way around so I could have brake lights and turns signals on the rear. Sorry!!! for the confussion.

If you have connected the correctly they should work. I'm scratch'n MY head now trying to remember that far back. Am going to wait until I get home tonight to scratch it some more.

Again sorry!!

o~\o
A bud of mine thinks the turn signal module blew. I'm scratchin' too. Thanks.
 

·
Guitar Dude
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rickr01 said:
It sounds like you lost the ground in the rear. Got a VOM? Check to make sure you have voltage first by placing red probe inside socket just ground the black VOM probe to the fender strut bolt. That should get you started! I had a friend that pulled a bit too hard on his wiring and actually pulled two pins almost out of the socket way up under the seat!
U mean the bulb socket, as in remove bulb and put red probe up there, and ground at fender strut? Thanks.
 

·
Guitar Dude
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rickr01 said:
It sounds like you lost the ground in the rear. Got a VOM? Check to make sure you have voltage first by placing red probe inside socket just ground the black VOM probe to the fender strut bolt. That should get you started! I had a friend that pulled a bit too hard on his wiring and actually pulled two pins almost out of the socket way up under the seat!
Also I checked connector under seat, fine. I didn't pull hard on the wires or anything.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,217 Posts
Player said:
Also I checked connector under seat, fine. I didn't pull hard on the wires or anything.

Yes, remove bulb check for voltage. You are not using the rear as running lights, just turns right? Front light up but no flash? The back usually will also light but not flash on the same side that the signal button is pushed on if the turn module crapped! I still believe you have a ground issue!
 

·
Guitar Dude
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay Rick--appreciate the help!

Right, rears are not running lights, fronts only are two element (running lights).

Yes, front lights but no flash.

The rear bullets don't light at all, nothing, so the module is probably okay (as you said).

I'm not sure what a "ground issue" is, and what physically could have gone wrong to cause the ground issue?

I plan on jacking her up tomorrow, removing lower shock bolts to let the wheel drop down so I can work under the fender, and take a look.

I mentioned that I have the stock turn signals up front and the bullets only on the rear. Anyway, thanks man!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,217 Posts
I would also make sure that the wire color codes did not get mixed up? Again, very easily tested with your VOM. Do a continuity test from the plug under the seat labled for that side, on my bike pin 1 under the seat goes to the right side of bike. Hot and the ground is directly below it. Pull the bulb and place the red probe in the socket and the black probe from the VOM on the appropriate pin under the seat. You should get continuity. If your VOM tester has an audible continuity testing position use that for quick tests. No continuity, either the soldered joint is not good, unlikely or the wires between the two sides got mixed up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,217 Posts
I wouldnt worry about jacking her up and all that just yet. I believe you may not have a ground issue after all and may have inadvertantly mixed up a couple of wires. You have a book with the wiring schematic in it so you can determine the color codes? I believe that there is a purple with brown stripe (right side) and blue with brown (left) I may be wrong as I am going on memory, but again just separate the pin connector or you can even just touch the pin through the top of the connector with either probe red or black. It doesn't matter when checking continuity. Make sure from schematic you know which pin number goes to right turn and which goes to left. touch the other probe to the socket internal with bulb removed. You should have continuity from lets say pin one under seat is for right turn so at the back of the bike facing forward you test the right turn signal. No continuity then you know what to do next! If you have continuity then get back to me. I'll be on line most of tomorrow and may be able to help you decipher it out!
Rick
 

·
Guitar Dude
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rick, I checked the wiring schematic, and the right TS is supposed to be connected with a BROWN and a black wire. The left TS with a violet (purple I called it) and a black. I could have sworn that both rear bullets had violet and black wires. I must have connected the one with the brown wire to the left side. Seem logical?

I have to drop the wheel though to get my socket under the fender to remove the turn signals and check for a brown wire.

This is thanks to your help of course!
 

·
Guitar Dude
Joined
·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is where it gets weird: I saved the wires that I snipped off the rear bullets, so I checked the colors. Both had a black and a violet wire. I looked at one closely and noticed that it had a brown stripe, so I thought that one has to go on the right, then I checked the other wire off the other TS and it was identical, violet with a brown stripe. Yikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I'm glad my state doesn't require turn signals!

One of the first things I did was rip the hanging globes off. The bullets are a smooth addition though. Sounds like you've got it -Good luck.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top