V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have stumbled across the biggest mystery in HD lore, can you really replace a turn signal socket instead of the whole turn signal? My 04 FXDL fell over, lets not discuss why, and the rear left turn signal is the latest thing I am trying to fix. I purchased a new one and would like to put the old socket(and factory wires) into the new shell. This would save removing the pins, plug and just saving a whole buch of hastle. I have searched on this forum, Googled the Internet and nothing in my shop manual. The closest I came was to a picture of a lady trying to pry out the guts on an article about a Sporster. Any help. thx

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
The parts inside the signal body and the wiring are one assembly. You can pull it out and snip the wires and just replace the reflector part and re-splice the wires. To get it all out remove the bulb and you'll see a slot where the bulb goes, just use a hook device and slowly pull the whole thing out, rubber and all, it's easy. There isn't too much slack in the wiring though so you might want to pull your taillight and unplug the signal wire plug and let some slack out.

But if you're going that far just un-pin the plug end from the wires and run the whole assembly, it's really easy.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stranger. I'll give it a shot. I plan to un-pin and do the whole she-bang to make it look right.

·
Registered
95 Posts
On a similar note; can the existing connector plugs still be used after re-pinning the wires? The directions indicate that they can, but how are the old pins removed from it?
Thanks for your time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts