V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to install some smaller signals on my FXD.I know that I will have to purchase a load equalizer to make them work properly. My question is how does the equalizer hook up and will one equalizer run all four signals? Where do you mount the equalizer? Any suggestions on new signals? Thanks for the help!!!:D

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Re: Turn Signal Load Equalizer ?

bub said:
I am wanting to install some smaller signals on my FXD.I know that I will have to purchase a load equalizer to make them work properly. My question is how does the equalizer hook up and will one equalizer run all four signals? Where do you mount the equalizer? Any suggestions on new signals? Thanks for the help!!!:D
bub, I'm no expert on anything but here's the way I understand it. The load equalizer is installed at the turn signal module. It returns amperage draw to the factory specs so that the turn signal self canceling will function. The equalizer is mounted under the seat near battery compartment. There is one that I have had my eye on that not only has a built in load equalizer but turns stock rear turn signals into running AND brake lights and retains the turn signal capabilities. It's kinda pricy at $113 though. It's made by Badlands.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ralph. I'm not planning on making the back signals function as a brake light.I'm just wanting to go to a smaller set of signals. Originally I was going to take them off altogether,but I talked myself out of it.
Thanks Again!! :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
turn sigals and brake lights

Hi Bub i left the rear turn lights stock and bought a kit from HD that made my rear signals brake light also. i like the look of smaller lights but i also think that big turn lights are seen better. and it maybe safer with the bigger assembles. with these people around here we need all the lights we can get. I also put an 80/100 watt head light bulb in and that really lights up the night.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was also thinking about going to a higher wattage headlight. Have you had any problems with the plug? I have heard they might melt with the higher wattage bulbs. Thanks for mentioning that , I can't see anything at night with the factory headlight. Thanks!

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
bub, I had an 80/100 xenon bulb in mine after I went to a bottom mount headlight. I was impressed with the light output. After some period of time I wanted to change to a different headlight shell. When I opened up the headlight I found that the wires had gotten very hot and slightly melted at connection. I replaced the connector and went to the standard 55/60 H4. Later again I tried the zenon . Something strange happened one day. I took off down the road and my speedo quit working and my turn signals wouldn't work. I went around the block back to the house and opened up the headlight. No sign of hot wires. I replace the xenon with a standard bulb and everything worked again. I haven't had that problem since. I'm really not sure if it was even related but I'm taking no more chances.

I've heard that the PIAA 15080 bulb puts out an incredible amount of light with not a huge electrical draw. I think they cost about $30-40 dollars each. If I ever try any other bulb besides a standard 55/60 H4 that would be the one I'd try.

·
Registered
380 Posts
head light bulb

Hey guys i just checked my records and the bulb i use in my DYNA is a Wagner Auto Bulb part number BP1210/H4 Halogen. the only thing i see happening to the wiring is some slight discoloring of th e rear cover or the electrical connector . now i rode all last summer and have not looked at the wiring on the head light sence summer of 2000 but i will check it over this year. i use only the low beam all the time very seldom do i use the high beam. but i do use it when needed. if i remember right this bulb is only about 10 bucks and it works great for me

·
Registered
232 Posts
Small lights

I put the small "duece" style turn signals on..Well I had the dealer do it before I picked it up new...They didn't charge me for anything other than the bullet lights and the mount down on the triple tree...I do not think you need to put an equalizer on...
You may want to try the lights before spending the extra money for something you might not need...

ALSO... I use the PIAA H- 55/60 watt...Lots more light than stock...No problems other than the high beam burn out...The did waranty it though...sent me a new one no charge...

·
Registered
5 Posts
led load equalizer

I have an '02 ultra and I'm trying to switch the old turn signals with new led lights.If it's possible I'd also like to have them function as running and brake lights...any suggestions?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Contact Badlands and ask to speak to one of the install techs. Explain what you want to do and they will advise you on which part to buy. I did this a few years back when turning all my lights into brakelights. Best of Luck Fairshake

1 - 12 of 12 Posts