V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 SGS. switched all 4 to LEDs. Everything fine for a while but now right rear won’t blink. Light is on just will
not blink. Also will not respond to brake. Tried switching the bulb and same thing. Even tried the original bulb as well as switching all four back to original. Nothing works. No matter what I do the right rear will
not blink or also brighten when brake applied. The other three all work fine. Tried all the various reset methods on here and nothing. Sure don’t want to have to have a dealer fix this. Any thoughts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thought you would get more help than this when I first read your post. I have an 08 Road King, not CANBUS. If the rear turn signals are still ONE CONTACT BULBS (1156 style) it is neither the bulb nor a wiring/power problem. IF there is a module that converts running light/turn signal function and adds brake light function, I would suspect a problem in that module. If the CANBUS bikes no longer use that module, the problem is probably in the turn signal/security module and I have no suggestion beyond a trip to the dealer or indy shop to check it. If you have a wirng diagram, see if the brake light function goes through the TSSM or that signal is sent straight to the bulb. Something is not adding the extra voltage for the bright function. If the rear bulbs are the two contact (1157 style) bulbs, there is a break in the circuit to the brighter filament. Sorry for not being any more help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you that does give me some direction at least. And they are the 1157 dual/offset type bulbs FYI.

·
Registered
552 Posts
There is a slim chance that the contact for the brighter filament is not touching any of the bulbs you have put in. Often, the socket has a rubber plug that the wires go through before the contact plate. If the hole the wires go through is snug, the contact plate can get pushed down and the spring isn't strong enough to push the plate back up to touch the bulb. A volt meter or test light would tell you if there is power to the bright filament contact when either brake is applied. The dimmer filament will be powered any time the bike is powered, but the other contact only when a brake is applied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so I got the voltmeter out. On the working side one contact shows 12v and the other .5. With the blinker on I get 12 and around 9. On the non working side I get 12 on one and zero on the other. With blinker on still 12 and zero....not sure where I go from here though, or at least what the easiest next step would be..

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
there should be a wiring plug under the seat at the front of the rear fender that runs the rear lighting , you can check there for your voltages to rule out the rear harness

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hopefully the wire color coding does not change from the TSSM to the effected tun signal bulb. Check for power being transferred through each plug in between with special attention to any plugs that have been separated and reconnected in this process. Beyond that this may require professional analysis. At this point you have a possible: broken wire, failed contact in a plug, or a failure in the TSSM. If there is a module that converts your rear turn signals into turn signals, running lights, and brake lights, a failure in that is a possibility also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts