V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I have a 1999 FXDX. I'm trying to put a set of after market turn signals on but in order to get them to work as run lights and turn signals I have install a run, turn signal module. I can't locate the spot where the turn signals plug into the wiring harness any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
144 Posts
99 thru 2005 I think are all the same for where it is located, under the seat.
It might be buried really well under all the wires, mine was.

I used a model that was for 2002 and newer and it worked on my 2001 FXD. Just had to get dome style red lenses.

· Registered
172 Posts
One more reason to have a repair/maintenance manual since the electrical schematics can also be found there.

Go backwards and you should be able to find it btw.

Peace

· Registered
485 Posts
I'm not sure just where you'd do that mod but there is a circuit board under the tail light. I bought a toumbstone tail light only to discover that you had to cut and splice something like thirteen wires to make it work. I built a bracket to mount the board under the tail light thereby eliminating the need for splices. Hope this helps.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the responses. I have the manual and did look but still could not find it. Ill keep digging under the seat. The wires run down inside the backbone and I can’t seem to get down low enough in there to find where they come out. These are fort the front signals I am sorry I don’t think I said that.

· Registered
144 Posts
I appreciate all the responses. I have the manual and did look but still could not find it. Ill keep digging under the seat. The wires run down inside the backbone and I can’t seem to get down low enough in there to find where they come out. These are fort the front signals I am sorry I don’t think I said that.
I thought you were talking about the rear signals. :confused:
Not sure where the front one is located I haven't had to do anything with it. Might be under the gas tank?

· Premium Member
942 Posts
Front connection is located under the gas tank. Both lights go into 1 plug.

· Rubber mounted Rider
190 Posts
If you're looking for the connector from the turn signals to the harness it's in the backbone. I've a 2000 FXDX and changed my turn signals. In my manuel it's described how to get to the connectors. Is it the front connector you're looking for ?

· Registered
2,017 Posts
Doesn't the front harness disappear into the frame, left side near the neck?

You have to remove the rubber plug that's there, then gently tug those wires. The connector is about 2" - 3" down in there. It can be a bit of a pain to extract, as the turn signal connector, along with the two handlebar switch connectors are in there, so they don't wanna come out too easy.

· Rubber mounted Rider
190 Posts
You have to access the service loop. It's located at the rear of the bike. Right in front of the rear wheel there a rubber plug. Remove it and you will see the wiring harness. Cut the strip holding the harness and now you can pull the wiring harness at the front and get to the connectors. Yes I know it sound insane, but it's the right way to get to the connector (I've used the procedure my self). As far as I remember I had to remove the rear wheel to get proper access to the service loop.
In my service manual (From 2000) it's described under Main Wiring Harness. In the manual they don't remove the wheel, but as far as I remember it was very difficult to get to the service loop with the wheel in place.

· Registered
172 Posts
I'm pretty confused now.
What was it exactly that you were looking for and where exactly did you find it again?

Peace

· Rubber mounted Rider
190 Posts
Okay can be a little confusing. The connector from the front signal lights to the main wiring harness is located in the backbone in front of the bike. The problem is that you can't pull the connector out from the backbone on less you in the rear of the bike loosen a service loop (An extension of the main wiring harness). This add length to the wiring harness in front of the bike so you can pull the connector out. When you want the connector to go into the backbone again, you pull the service loop in the back of the bike and the connector is pulled into the back bone again. Hope this makes sense !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.